iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS441 advise PLEASE!

Started by yamaracer, May 09, 2017, 10:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamaracer

hey guys,
i need some advise on a stihl ms441 (Pre m-tronics) saw i found.
i currently have a good running ms311 but was looking for a pro saw when i got that.
i do quite a bit of cutting and am running a 25" bar on the ms311, would the ms441 do a better job for me??
thanks

weimedog

Guess that depends on the definition of "Better". A 441 will be a little faster. Some Stihl die hards don't like them as they have a lot of "Husky" like features..:) But now thats common in the Stihl's, anti vibs and filtration...:) LOL! I ran one when they first came out here on the farm and thought it was a smooth saw. It had the Stihl Bar&Chain obviously and as a complete saw package, I Really liked it.  I don't track Stihl's enough to know how they stood up to the test of time. I also have a friend who has a 311 for a long time. I have worked on a few 391's. Don't like them at all, and I believe they are essentially 311's with more displacement if I understand correctly. I would have picked the 441 if that was my choice. BUT that is why there are so many brands and models...to each their own.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ladylake

I'd think a Pro 441 would be a lot faster than a home owner 311.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

yamaracer

i would think it'd be faster as well...
i've searched and read several pages worth of google search on the ms441 but 98% are reviews or comments on the m-tronic, computer controlled saw.  i'd like to hear what people think about the non m-tronic 441 magnum that you can adjust the carb and mod the muffler if you want/need.

tawilson

I've had one for about 12 years now and run a 25" bar on it. More power, easier to start and less vibration  than the 390 it replaced.Seems to have enough power for me. I did swap the oiler to a high output one.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

HolmenTree

When the MS441 first came out 10 years ago my Stihl dealer loaned me their demo for a day.
I felt it could keep up with my early edition 372XP with a little tweaking and more hours on it.
Even pulled out my old 1989 10mm 044AV and I felt the 441 had more power and a heck of alot smoother.
Only negative at that time when the 441 was first introduced it looked fatter then the MS440. That was the biggest criticism of the saw.
Sure the MS460 was the same weight as the 441 and had more power. But the 460 didn't have the 441's smooth anti vibe, the efficient air filtering system and  burned more fuel.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

khntr85

Did they make a 441 with a standard carb....I haven't ran a 441....I was goin to get one, but after research and picking both up, I bought a 461.....I had a ms362...the 461 runs a 25" bar in hardwood like the 362 does -18"-20" bar, I LOVE the 461....

Anyway if it ain't beat to hell and its NOT full of cheap Chinese parts get it....it should run a 25" bar like a champ!!!!

Al_Smith

They do okay I guess depending on how you look at things .I've operated two of them and once they get ran a few minutes they seem to perk up but before that they aren't that impressive in my opinion .

The two I ran belonged to a friend of mine who owns a tree service .Both of those saws for reasons unknown pop the spark plugs ,they just unthread  right out of the hole .I've never seen that in my life before and can't explain it .Fact he had a 201T do the same thing so it might be the fresh air portion of the transfer cycle causing that problem . So I guess some people are fond of them and some are not .

sandsawmill14

i have a 441 without the m tronics and i like fine its runs a 25" good and runs a 28" fine when i need it to :) but do check the spark plug i blew mine out and had to heli coil it blew it out >:( and put a new jug on it ;D now i check to make sure the plug is tight and have had no problems :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

yamaracer

well, i picked up the used MS 441 last night.
the guy had it listed for $400 but ended up letting her go for $350.
it runs great, doesn't want to idle but i'll fiddle with the carb a bit today as i'm going thru it to clean & tighten everything.
will try to post a pic or two tonight after she gets a bath...

now, here's another question for you guys.
i now own 4 chainsaws and my financial advisor(wife) says 1 of the saws needs a new home...
ms170, 55 rancher, ms311 & ms441...should i sell the 55 rancher or ms311???

sandsawmill14

the rancher  my guess is its the oldest and you only have one dealer to deal with :) but i would tell her (1) i had to have all of them they are different sizes for different jobs  ;D (2) or at least i was gonna keep it till i knew the 441 was ok which might take a month or 2 since your not running it all day everyday or (3) give her 75 bucks and tell her thats her 1/2 of the saw money ;D :D :D :D

or you could just do like i do and tell her "it aint eating anything and i dont tell you how many pots you need in the kitchen"    i have 5 trucks sitting around and here get rid of at least a couple of them regularly  ;D :D :D :D

yamaracer

hahaha, like the way you think sawmill14!!!
ive learned how to pick my battles, she doesnt say anything about ALL my dirtbikes so i dont mind thinning the saws a bit.
i agree, 55 ranchers gonna go...

sandsawmill14

smiley_thumbsup :D :D :D  oh and i got told i needed to sell the black truck and blue truck again this evening  ::) 
i have a s10, a 1500 4x4, a f 250, a 3500 dually and a chevy 1 ton flatbed  ;D :D :D :D

yamaracer

Thank You Sponsors!