iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple sap runs down from the crown in the spring????? Really????

Started by Southside, January 25, 2014, 09:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TessiersFarm

I am a maple producer and a farmer, I found the article interesting, however question the long term sustainability of it.  I think it would be expensive and time consuming to have to re-plant acres of maples every year.  I don't see how row crop practices can be successfully used in tree production, different root structures, different growing patterns and seeding concerns.  Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture.  I think the current commercial agricultural practices are destructive and not sustainable, so I guess I am a little biased.  I find it hard to argue with hundreds years of maple history, compared to a research paper.  The maple syrup produced should more than offset the down grading of one 8' log on a tree, in my opinion.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

Ianab

You will see in the reply Nas posted, they aren't killing the sapling when they harvest. In effect it's "Coppicing", which is traditional harvesting method. Basically you cut the tree, leaving the stump, and let it regrow from the stump. Because the regrowth is from a complete root system it's much faster then a new sapling would normally grow, so in a few years you are ready to harvest again.

I don't know if this method is going to to be practical, but until someone studies it, and does some practical experiments, who knows?

Lots of ideas seemed crazy, until someone tried them and they worked.  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

Seems those with an investment in a vacuum system, that it certainly would be worth a try. Sounds like there was extra flow of sap from the saplings, and that may equate to some big volumes per acre compared to tapping older, mature trees.
QuoteI find it hard to argue with hundreds years of maple history, compared to a research paper.
What wasn't available during most of this history was the vacuum system for extracting sap. Sounds like from the research, that this experiment opened up some new possibilities. Of course, time will tell and it may upset the conventional methods known to the industry.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TessiersFarm

Quote from: Ianab on January 26, 2014, 01:26:25 PM
You will see in the reply Nas posted, they aren't killing the sapling when they harvest. In effect it's "Coppicing", which is traditional harvesting method. Basically you cut the tree, leaving the stump, and let it regrow from the stump. Because the regrowth is from a complete root system it's much faster then a new sapling would normally grow, so in a few years you are ready to harvest again.

I don't know if this method is going to to be practical, but until someone studies it, and does some practical experiments, who knows?

Lots of ideas seemed crazy, until someone tried them and they worked.  ;)

Ian

I am certainly no tree expert but I didn't know maple would re-grow from a stump.  I know some trees do but I always thought they were suckers and would never amount to much of a tree.  Never really paid a lot of attention to be honest with you. 

Also I hear you about most new ideas sounding crazy at first.  I can hear the first cave men talking now. 

"A round block ain't gonna work man"

"Its Gotta, round rocks roll better than flat ones"

"yeah but how in hell you gonna stop?"

"just hold my beer and watch this"

It did sound like a far higher yield, I wonder about the sugar content without the canopy?  I will definitely be interested in seeing it tried on a commercial scale.

Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

BuckeyeAaron

I don't know much about sugar production and I have only tapped a couple of maples form a personal hobby standpoint.  But that said, the prospect of purposefully topping sapling sized maples doesn't seem sustainable or terribly efficient - unless the yields truly are 10x greater as the article claims.  I would  think this system, if it were to be adopted and professionally implemented, may have more attraction to adventurous, established producers that may want to pollard their mature trees to increase production.  But I'm sure logistically that would be feasible as you're dealing with mature canopies and not a stick at chest height. 
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

mapleman205

I'm new to the forestry forum but I am a maple producer with 3000 of my own taps and I manage another 4500 taps. This new method is not meant to replace the current production methods but to supplement or to possibly help a bush that has been destroyed from ice storms or wind damage. If the Asian longhorn beetle does in fact invade the maple belt then this may be the only feasible method because the beetles tend to attack mature trees leaving young saplings unharmed. As for the killing of the saplings young maples have a unique ability to push out epicormic buds out of the bark below the cut area. Currently there are no commercial methods available to harvest sap from these saplings so the equitment must be homemade. The overall yield is much lower per tap but the number of taps per acre is greatly increased.

Thank You Sponsors!