iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

!0 Ton and Over Electric Splitter Experience ?

Started by downeast, February 05, 2012, 06:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downeast

Looking for users of electric splitters with capacity of 10 Tons and greater. Comments, problems, features, speed, etc... Any input ?
SuperSplit, RamSplitter, and the newer DR Dual Action 10 Ton model.
We just ordered the DR to replace an old DR 5 ton and a decrepid 22 ton gas that is near dead. Besides, I'm tired of gas: smell, noise, fuel, maintenance. ::)
Thanks.

John Mc

I own the Ramsplitter 16 Ton Horizontal/vertical electric splitter. (I don't use it vertical, I just liked that working height better than the horizontal-onhly model). It's basically the same as a 16 ton Gas engine splitter, the just replaced the Gas engine with an electric motor (mine has a 2 HP motor. Current models are shipping with a 1.5 HP - not sure how that has affected the splitting power). I got mine with the optional highway tires and 2" ball hitch coupler.

I got it because it was the largest electric splitter I could find that would still run on a regular 20 Amp, 110 VAC circuit. I wanted to maintain the portability that 110 V @ 20 Amps would provide. Their 20 Ton electric needs either a 220 VAC circuit, or a 30 AMP, 110 VAC circuit (it draws 25 amps @ 110 VAC)

I've been happy with the splitter, and it splits almost anything I throw at it. I do occasionally have troubles with some of my more gnarly big oak pieces, but that's rare.

I've not used the DR dual Action splitter, but I've seen it (I live not far from where they are made). It's a lot lighter-duty construction than the Ramsplitter 16 ton (not surprising, since it's a 10 ton splitter). It also has a cycle time that is almost twice as long (21 seconds, vs 11 seconds for the Ramsplitter). It kind of negates the advantage of having a bi-directional splitter. It's definitely a step up from the old 4 or 5 ton DR electrics, but don't expect it to come close to keeping up with what your 22 ton could do in it's day.  For my uses, it would not be acceptable for my only splitter -- just a bit to light-duty, but I suppose it might suit others just fine.

The Supersplit is one of the finest logsplitters out there, IMO. You can't go wrong with that. Just remember to keep your fingers out of the way... it's FAST. If i didn't already own a splitter, I'd seriously be considering one of theirs. It's not for everyone, though. Some are uncomfortable with the fast cycle time, and it's probably overkill for a lot of folks.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Holmes

I have a 1.5 hp electric Super Splitter, needs a 30 amp circuit. It's very quiet and works great.
Think like a farmer.

downeast

John.
I wasn't concerned about cycle time.
Explain more about the "lighter" build of the DR 10 Ton electric. Did you see a demo ?
It seemed from the specs that the 21 sec cycle was defined as a full cycle in both directions rather than completing a split one way ( ~ 11 sec)
then another opposite ? Not sure.
The RamSplitter "looked" less well engineered than the DR: more exposed hoses, no 'wings' on the beam.
The Super Split cost is above our budget.
Thanks.

Holmes

I picked my super split up from Craigs list used in NH 4 months ago for a third of list price . You have to watch for them and act quickly if you want to go that route
Think like a farmer.

doctorb

I would like to echo John Mc's comments.  I have the Ramsplitter 16 ton and have been happy with it.  Two things to consider.  You made need an upgrade on the curcuit that use use for this splitter.  As it's loading up to spilt, a large amp draw occurs and you can have your curcuit breaker blow.

Secondly, and you think you already realize this, you must be able to get your rounds close to the splitter, because it's tethered by the extension cord.  The longer the cord, which also must be heavy duty, the more likely you'll have a circuit breaker problem during use. 

So the rounds must be close and moveable for an electric splitter to be really efficient, as the radius where you can place it from the electric outlet is defined by the cord.

I am very happynwith this splitter.  I have used it both in horizontal and vertical modes.  I would buy it again.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

thecfarm

I suppose you are only splitting a few cord a year? I was talking to a guy that had a DR electric splitter. He use to live on a farm,but now has a 300 square lot and has his wood delivered. All he needs now. I think a real good extension cord would do it with a splitter.I use to have a 110 welder,now have a 220 and on both I had a GOOD grade of 50 feet wire that could be rolled out when needed and never had a problem,but it was not cheap to buy either. Seems like it did a job on 100 bill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

downeast

CFarm neighbor:

No, we heat 24/7, 99% with 2 wood stoves ( no central furnace ) using 6-8 cords/year harvested from our woodlot here.
About 2/3 Red/Soft Maple and Paper/White Birch, the rest a mix of dead standing Red oak, White and Green Ash, some Beech and Apple, along with the usual shoulder season mixing of Spruce and Fir.
The rounds average 16"=20" DBH typical coastal trees on this bony, thin, boggy soil.
The tiny DR 5 ton did much of the splitting since I hated the noise, smell, maintenance, fuel use of the old gas splitter. Time obviously was not "of the essence" for me.

The DR Dual Action 10 Ton electric 'seemed' the best option for what and how used. Their 6 Month Trial is an advantage over other offers as well as the DR reputation for support and quality. I liked the specs of the RamSplitter ( about the same $$$ ) but it 'looked' less well built with more exposed hoses and no beam table ; no return policy either. Ramsplitter does has an excellent rep with users however.

SuperSplit electric would have been the first choice, but it's out of the budget for us.

John Mc

Downeast:  When I said "lighter-duty construction", I was comparing it to the Supersplit, or Ramsplitter 16-ton units. I was mostly looking at the main beam that takes the load of splitting the log. I did not take measurements, but it was visibly smaller and lighter than other hydraulic logsplitters I've seen (my ramsplitter, or the 22 ton unit that a nearby hardware store rents. Maybe it's not surprising that it would be lighter, since it's rated for 10 tons. Maybe it will hold up just fine for that sort of use.

I did not time the cycle time, but the flow rating on their pump is 1.58 GPM (from the specs on their web site). They mention handling up to 20" logs, and specs say a 3" cylinder. This calulates out to .61 gallons to fill the side of the cylinder without the shaft, which comes out to about 23 seconds. I doubt the cylinder actually has a full 20" stroke, so that may account for the 21 second cycle time in their specs. NOTE: this is for one way motion, not down and back. The return stroke would be a bit quicker, since the shaft takes up some of the volume in the cylinder in that direction (but you'd also have slightly less power on that stroke, for the same reason).

I am not knocking the DR Dual Action Splitter. It may suit you fine. They appear to have copied the design (or at least the idea) from the Split-Fire log splitters. DR also copied the SuperSplit logsplitter almost exactly for their RapidFire flywheel powered (non-hydraulic) log splitter.

Back to the RamSplitter: I agree that the exposed hoses seems to be a weakness. I looks to be worse on the horizontal/vertical units than on the horizontal-only units (need some extra hose length for things to swing from horizontal to vertical). I bought the H/V unit because I liked the work height better than the horizontal-only unit. They do seem willing to do some customizing, so I suppose I could have gotten them to build me a higher horizontal-only unit.

As far as the lack of "wings" on the beam on the Ramsplitter: I assume you are referring to a "log cradle" that catches the pieces after they are split. That's a $95 option available from Ramsplitter (if you can find it on their web site... it takes a bit of hunting). I did not order it. One of these days, I'll get around to adding a cradle. The only thing stopping me is that I'd like to design something that folds down without requiring tools, but is still sturdy enough to hold a good sized log when I do want it up. (The fold down option would let me get in closer, for better body mechanics, when I don't need the cradle.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

downeast

Nice review John...thanks.

DR did a slick copy of both the SuperSplit design and SplitFire; it's business. DR has an excellent rep for tech support, quality, parts, and attitude for customers.

What town are you in ? Maybe run over to Vergennes for a demo/tryout of the 10 Ton dual for me ?  ;D

First choice would have been the SuperSplit 1 HP electric, but not in the budget. The Ramsplitter was second; the "no return except within 7 days" was a dealbreaker, along with the "look" of the build online to be sure.

JSNH

You could do what I did. I have a hyd. splitter I built in 1982 with a 8 hp motor on it. About 5 years ago I got tired of the noise and the motor was pretty tired. I replaced it with a cheep 5 hp electric. It works great. I split about 10 cords and my neighbors split about the same with it each year. It might be a bit faster than with the gas engine but it is just as strong.

bandmiller2

As JSNH says convert a gas unit to electric.Find a splitter with engine problems.A 5hp electric should be the full equal of a 7.5/8 hp gasoline engine and alot easier to start,and cheaper to run. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

I've got a little splitter with a single stage pump and a 3 1/4 inch cylinder a guy  gave me .Little thing with a knife edge cutter and a 4 inch beam with go-kart tires .Had a gas engine which I replaced with a single phase cap start  5 HP 3450 RPM motor .

Now first of all they lie about HP ratings on electric motors which people like to argue about but it's true .Figuring 746 watts per HP that motor is only 2.8 HP.

Might not sound so good but I've got pictures of that itty thing splitting 36" red oak  .Not real fast but beats a maul or axe any day hands down .My wifes cousin is using it at the moment .

Now FWIW you're better off if possible to wire the motor to run on 240 instead of 120 volt because of the line loss .Fact I ran that thing on 250 foot of number 12 romex and had no problems at all .

Then you look at dumping gasoline in an engine verses paying pennys for electric plus the electric will always start .Then too you don't have to listen to that putt putt putt of a gas engine all day .An option to consider .

John Mc

Quote from: downeast on February 07, 2012, 07:11:11 AM
DR did a slick copy of both the SuperSplit design and SplitFire; it's business. DR has an excellent rep for tech support, quality, parts, and attitude for customers.

Yes, they do have a good rep for customer service and support, and have had a good rep for selling good quality products. I had heard they were bought out several years ago. I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, I hope it doesn't mean they're going to start selling garbage, or not stand behind what they sell (no sign of that happening yet, as far as I can tell).

As far as cloning the SuperSplit and the SplitFire, I guess you have to expect some of that when the patents run out. DR's ads and videos that act like they invented the concept do kind of rub me the wrong way.   From the DR Dual Action video: "Some innovations take a long time to come about..."  and "...it's a bit of a head scratcher that someone didn't think of this sooner."  Hey guys, someone did think of it sooner -- the guy you copied it from!

QuoteWhat town are you in ? Maybe run over to Vergennes for a demo/tryout of the 10 Ton dual for me ?  ;D

I live about 6 miles from their Vergennes outlet. Not sure if they've got a demo unit on site now or not. If you are seriously interested, I can check into it. But maybe no point in my demoing it, since you've already got it on order?  I'm sure it will work out fine for you.

The video on their web site gives you some idea, but they appear to be using white ash for that. That's not the greatest test of a splitter - if you look at white ash too hard, it splits. (Gee, I wonder why everyone seems to like to demo their splitters on ash?)

QuoteFirst choice would have been the SuperSplit 1 HP electric, but not in the budget. The Ramsplitter was second; the "no return except within 7 days" was a dealbreaker, along with the "look" of the build online to be sure.

I do wonder why DR doesn't do an electric version of their "RapidFire" splitter (the SuperSplit clone)? IT is a bit cheaper than the SuperSplit, but not hugely so.  TSC did have a gas powered flywheel splitter out for a while (made in China by Speeco), but they had so many problems with it, they pulled it off the market.

bandmiller2

Al,I know what your talking about,some of the motors their passing off cannot be as rated.I think this all came about with the asian imports.You get a 5hp baldor and you have a 5hp motor.I still use some of the old induction repulsion motors, they are as rated. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

downeast

John in VT.
They do have a unit in the store, but not to try out they said.
The order is in with delivery postponed to mid March since I've got to build a shed, and too many obligations around until then to begin the splitting/stacking routine.
I'd appreciate your opinion about the 10 Ton Electric even to just look it over if you have the time.
You're correct that DR has an excellent marketing pitch !

Al_Smith

Frank I think some of them got on that erronious HP rating by refering them to terms such as "develops such and such power " .Meaning in essence the motor will run in an overload condition for a certain amount of time before all the smoke leaks out and they never run again .

John Mc

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 08, 2012, 08:46:31 AM
...the motor will run in an overload condition for a certain amount of time before all the smoke leaks out and they never run again .

aah yes, the magic black smoke. Once it gets out, you're out of luck. I had some escape from my minivan a couple months ago. Fortunately, I was only a mile from home when it happened. Apparently, when that smoke got out, the water pump locked up, frying the timing belt (and "welding" a couple of idler pulleys to the belt from the heat). $1200 dollars later, after replacing the broken parts, and loading a fresh supply of black smoke into the engine, I was good to go. Here's hoping I can keep that smoke in the engine this time.

John Mc

Al_Smith

:D Off the subject but comical at the time .Driving back from Detroit on I 75 I had the air conditioning compresser lock up on a '78 Lincoln  MK 5 .

That car was the last 460 cubic inch Ford V8 ever used in a passenger car .It never even slowed the engine just burned the belt in two in about 2 seconds flat .I just saw a puff of smoke and no more cold air .

Thank You Sponsors!