iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dolmar PS 5100 S

Started by RSteiner, May 12, 2008, 08:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSteiner

After looking at the Dolmar PS 5100 S at the expo in Essex Jt., VT this past weekend I made plans to purchase one from the dealer in my area.  I owed two Dolmars back in the 1980's which were very good saws, maybe a little on the heavy side but back then I didn't care.

The PS 5100 S dry weighs just under 12 pounds.  For a 3 cubic inch saw that is not bad.  Now I'm interested to see how it will work.

Randy
Randy

SawTroll

:)It will surely work very well.... 8) 8)
Information collector.

RSteiner

In a couple of days I should have some first hand experience.  I am looking forward
to picking up the saw today.  8)  My first new saw in 9 years.  I have two Husky's that have served me well a 257 which is 11 years old and a 272 xp which is 9 years old.  Both still run well but the 257 is getting a little tired.

Randy
Randy

SeeSaw

Randy,

I recently purchased a PS6400.  I wanted the 7900 but I got a fantastic deal on the 6400 and the price for the 7900 could not even come close.  So far I'm real happy with the saw.  Have not cut as much with it yet as I would have liked but I think I'm really going to enjoy the power.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

RSteiner

I picked up the saw last night but did not get a chance to do any cutting.  The only thing that concerns me is all the new features new saws have to have to meet emission regulations.  They seem like one more thing to go wrong.  However, time will tell whether they are a positive addition or not.

The price the dealer charged me for the saw was a few dollars less than the "show price", but the show saw came with an 18" bar and I asked to out on a 16" bar.   I am sure it will take a few tanks of fuel to get the saw limbered up.

Randy
Randy

RSteiner

Well, I ran about a half of a tank of fuel through the saw last night and am very impressed with it.

Randy
Randy

Captain

The 5100S is a hot rod for its size.  It is rapidly becoming my choice over the MS360 with equivalent bar size for working on smaller logs in the log yard and firwood pile.

The price does seem to scare some folks away, however.  We sell the 510s and 5100s with a $86 price difference.

Captain

RSteiner

I am very impressed with the saw.  It is light and powerful which makes it a great limbing saw for me.  As far as the price goes I would rather pay a few extra bucks for what is considered a professional grade saw.  My experience has been they seem to last longer.

At 14,500 RPM the chain speed is great for making fast cuts through limbs which helps when they are under tension and you need to make a fast cut. 

Randy
Randy

SawTroll

Quote from: RSteiner on May 16, 2008, 07:13:06 AM
I am very impressed with the saw.  It is light and powerful which makes it a great limbing saw for me.  As far as the price goes I would rather pay a few extra bucks for what is considered a professional grade saw.  My experience has been they seem to last longer.

At 14,500 RPM the chain speed is great for making fast cuts through limbs which helps when they are under tension and you need to make a fast cut. 

Randy

I sure will, but personally I prefere the NE346xp in the woods, as it feels more compact and nimble (and weights a tad less). It simply handles better......
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!