iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Detroit diesel 4-53T question

Started by mikedell, October 17, 2013, 06:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikedell

Hello, everyone

Im new here to the forum but been reading alot of the questions and answers on this board and figured this is the right forum to ask all my stupid detroit diesel questions lol,

I purchased a old worthington 250cfm compressor powered by a 4-53T detroit diesel, when running, it runs like a raped ape, but its really hard to start even with either, and it doesnt seem to matter if the motor is warm or not. I installed a low pressure fuel pump with a check valve on the incoming diesel line before the first fuel filter, and replaced the fuel filters as well.

I did this because I thought maybe it was losing its fuel pressure after it was shut down but it really didnt seem to do much other than make it rather easy to prime the system after changing the filters. I installed a kill switch for the pump so that once its started I just shut down the electric pump and let the main fuel pump take over.

When I first got it, it was acting like it was running really rich, and blowing alot of black smoke, but it seems like the more I run it , the more the smoke is clearing up. I haven't touched anything to do with the injectors, but Im suspecting it could be the problem, I mechanically inclined and from what Ive read Im assuming I could do the injector replacement myself, but before I go that route I was hoping one of you guys here on the forum could give me some of your knowledge on the subject.

Thanks in advance for any and all help

sealark37

Before you dig deeper, make sure that the air filter is clean.  Then, find yourself a service manual.  Regards, Clark

mikedell

Dumb question,

I have a oil bath air cleaner, do I simply dump out the old oil, clean it out and fill it with oil again? This is my first experience with a oil bath air cleaner. Also is there a special weight oil to put into the filter?

Thanks again,

treeslayer2003

find a qualified Detroit man to run the rack and valves and set the governer. it is much more important to have these set correct than most think. you can change injectors but have the man set things or your wasting your time.

snowstorm

a 453t would be tourbo charged dosent look like it is. check the air shut off. its just to the left of where it says gm diesel on the blower. have seen the air intake hose come apart inside. oil bath filters says its old. the fitting on the blower looks what they used to put the either pill in

Dave Shepard

I think I know what's wrong, is painted Ford blue.  :D

Also check to see that the safety shutoff solenoid is working properly. Does this machine have Murphy switches?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mikedell

Quote from: snowstorm on October 17, 2013, 08:35:08 PM
a 453t would be tourbo charged dosent look like it is. check the air shut off. its just to the left of where it says gm diesel on the blower. have seen the air intake hose come apart inside. oil bath filters says its old. the fitting on the blower looks what they used to put the either pill in

After looking again you are correct on it not being a T model, it only has the blower.

Concerning the air shutoff I was looking at that today and I honestly can figure out which way is open and which way is closed. The solenoid that activates it doesnt seem to work, but if I push the solenoid up with my finger the air shutoff flips up, so Im assuming that is the off position.

hardtailjohn

Quote from: mikedell on October 17, 2013, 09:19:06 PM

Concerning the air shutoff I was looking at that today and I honestly can figure out which way is open and which way is closed. The solenoid that activates it doesnt seem to work, but if I push the solenoid up with my finger the air shutoff flips up, so Im assuming that is the off position.

Start it up and move the shutoff. That'll tell you which way it needs to be. I've also seen where it didn't go completely closed and it ran but smoked over about 1600RPM.  Easy to check.
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

sandhills

Lack of breathing ability definitely affects the older detroits more than most any other engine, at least in my experience.  On a V671 we have there is a fine screen right above the blower, not sure if a 453 has one or not (never been around one) but I can tell you they don't run well when the screen is even partially plugged.  On any engine we have with oil bath filters we just use 30 weight engine oil, works fine for us but others may have better suggestions.  Sure sounds to me like an air problem rather than fuel, hope I'm right and best of luck, get it right and them old detroits will outlast your hearing  :D.

snowstorm

Quote from: mikedell on October 17, 2013, 09:19:06 PM
Quote from: snowstorm on October 17, 2013, 08:35:08 PM

After looking again you are correct on it not being a T model, it only has the blower.

then take the air hose off and look at the air shut off. its job is to shut the air off should the engine run away. the old dd can do that. and shutting the fuel off wont stop it they can pull the oil out of the base.

mikedell

Today I cleaned out the oil bath filter and put fresh oil in, still hard starting when its cold, had to shoot it with either about 3 times, but now when it's warmed up, its starting up without either so it's getting better and I noticed the smoke isnt so black now. Guess my next step should be looking into replacing the injectors.

Thank You Sponsors!