iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wheel Weights

Started by ncsawyer, December 06, 2016, 06:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncsawyer

Picked up set of rear wheel weights for my tractor a few days back off of Craigslist.  I have a 445 ford with 24 inch rear wheels.  I already have two smaller rear weights on the inside of each wheel and loaded tires, but the back end would still come off the ground with heavy loads.   When moving real heavy loads I would have to pick up a log on the back of the tractor with my rear forks. 

I finally got around to mounting my new rear wheel weights today.  I had to take the wheels all the way off and the two inside weights and install longer bolts, put everything back together, then install the new wheel weights on the outside of the wheel.  The new weights weigh 280lbs each!  Hopefully this will add some stability.

2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

paul case

My dad's loader tractor needs some ''Ballast'' too. I put together a little weight carrier for him you can see in the picture.

My loader tractor needed a lot more than that. Back tires are fluided, 1 full rack of suitcase weights, 5 wheel weights and 4 other suitcase weights and it will still get the back tires off the ground if you pick up a big log.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

QuoteMy dad's loader tractor needs some ''Ballast'' too.
Funny you should bring that subject up Paul.  Anyone that wears a PCM can handle it quite nicely.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ozarkgem

OK I'll bite, what is a PCM
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Magicman

Quote from: ozarkgem on December 06, 2016, 08:22:06 PM
OK I'll bite, what is a PCM 

Here is a quote from the master himself addressing a PCM and ballast:

Quote from: paul case on December 06, 2012, 09:15:17 AM
As for my experience with the PCM, ballast, auditory comprehension ( that was DonK's term), chicken, and bungee cords I will let the facts speak for themselves. I know there are pictures so they must have happened.  ;D

PC

Having fun is so much fun.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

OK, here is another hint:  LINK, but don't quit reading too soon.  Reply #174 actually shows the PCM.   :)

paul case

Oh oh oh . you hurt my side.
I hadn't even seen that post. Are you sure that was me who brought up auditory comprehension? Maybe it was DonK.

I do however remember early the morning before ballast and Belts and eating too much chicken and watching someone else saw wood for a change, someone beat on my door and said''I'm Gunna be duh wooster''.

PC

Sorry for the hijack.
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Magicman

Oh it was definitely DonK but the PCM, ballast, and bungee are yours.

Got belt bungee??   ;D

Magicman

Oh boy, talk about a hijack.  I apologize ncsawyer, but your wheel weights stirred up some very fond memories which included a picture of our friend and late FF member wwsjr (Willie Steele) shown in Reply #174 in the last link above.  The Forestry Forum is such a close knit family.  At least that link took us to food.   :)

paul case

Running gear! :D :D :D :D :D

PC
pc

ncsawyer

No need to apologize.  I'm having fun looking back through this thread and the other one you posted trying to connect the dots!   ;D
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Magicman

OK, This should connect some of the dots:  LINK

Andries

Hadn't seen the ChickinCrispin story before. Looks like a great time!
but, ummm . . . .
Would it be considered Forum-rude to re-hijack a thread?
What the hay, I'll give it a try.

NCsawyer:
We have the same tractors, do your inside weights look like this:

And, do you need schedule 5 or 8 carriage bolts to hold all that together?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

ncsawyer

Andries,

My inside weights look exactly like that.  They are not nearly as heavy as the outside ones.  I was able to pick up a pair of the inside ones by myself fairly easily. 

It looks like your wheels are mounted opposite of mine.  I have mine mounted with the concave side of the wheel to the inside and the convex side of the wheel mounted to the outside.  This allowed me to hang the large 280 pound wheel weight on the outside without it sticking out past the tire. 

I would have loved to have used grade 8 bolts, but had a hard time finding them.  I looked at a parts diagram and it actually just called for grade 5 bolts, so I went with grade 5.  They were easier to find.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Andries

Ok, Grade five bolts it is.
Thinking that the way your rims set up would give the tractor a wider stance.
The weights on my 545C look like this:

One on the inside, two on the outside.

My 545D has no weights and the tires haven't been filled, which is why I have that bit of concrete hanging off the back end.

The cast wheel weights and beet juice in the rubber should be about the same weight, 'cept positioned a bit lower.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

ncsawyer

I would love to find a 4x4 545d with the 4 post canopy.  They are hard to come by.  Tractor data says the lift is rated for 5,000lbs. 

My 445 is rated at 3,500 according to tractor data.  I tested my wheel weights this afternoon by picking up two nice green 16.5ft pine logs at the same time.  The butt cut was 19 inches on the small end and 23 on the big end.  The second cut was slightly over 18 inches on both ends. I used the log weight calculator and figured two 16.5 foot logs at 19 inch diameter.  According to the calculator that should have been a total of 3,400lbs.  The tractor picked them up and still had enough traction on the back tires to drive the load around.  I am pleased with the results of the added weight. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Andries

Glad that worked out for you.
Like MM says: "It's nice when a plan comes together for you".
You were just under your limit of 3500 lbs., but I wonder sometimes.
I've never had the relief valve kick in when picking up super heavy items.
The back end just starts to come up!
Were you using forks?

I see the 545D 4x4 for sale from time to time up here, I'll keep an eye open for you.
Heck, it's only a 1700 mile drive from here.   :D   :D 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!