Sponsors:

saw fading to the right while cutting

Started by norse, January 05, 2013, 06:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Vander

Quote from: beenthere on February 06, 2013, 07:43:04 PM
John
QuoteImportant to file the top plate too with a flat file to take off the burrs

Top plate? Sounds like you mean the top of the cutting tooth. If that has a burr, the first wood the chain cuts will remove that burr without the danger of filing off the new cutting edge. Or just a block of hardwood or the thumbnail will also remove that burr.

If you meant the raker, different story but don't see how the raker can get a burr.
I'm not talking about the rakers. I mean that after filing with a round file, you just lightly touch the top plate with a flat file. The burrs are actually very small and I don't suppose it's really needed, but I have found that my saw cuts quite smoothly when I remove them.
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

John Vander

Holmen Tree, thanx. Great avdice. I'll take that to the bank. smiley happysmiley

beenthere

Quotebut I have found that my saw cuts quite smoothly when I remove them.

Do as you like, but touching the file on top just risks comprimising the cutting edge and can't really improve that edge (IMO).

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Vander

beenthere, thanx mate, I'll check out what you're telling me and give it a try. I'll sharpen the saw without touching the top plates and give it a test.

John Vander

Quote from: John Vander on February 05, 2013, 10:13:26 PM
I suppose that you put the dogs into the wood when bucking. The cutting line of the chain runs on a different line than the dogs. This offset angle causes the saw to pivot to the right (the dogs being the pivot point). Tilt the saw slightly to the right when you put the dogs into the wood, but with no pressure on the top of the saw. Let the weight of the saw carry it through. This will result is a straight cut.
Humblest apologies... I made a mistake: The above situation is for a left tilting cut, not right. sorry about that.

Thank You Sponsors!