iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Establishing a New Pine Plantation

Started by WDH, November 03, 2008, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

WDH will you please hurry as a pic is worth a thousand words and I type slow. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

OK, here are a couple of pics.  The trees are exactly one year old.

Some of the larger trees are 3 feet tall.

They are very happy trees  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I'll say, would take 4 years to get a 3 foot red pine here.  Nice field of trees. ;D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I see the trees smiling also.  They are getting what they need.  What spacing is that?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

12 foot rows, 6 feet between trees which is 605 trees/acre.  A lot the forest industry has gone to 14 foot rows to save on site prep and planting cost.  A 14 x 6 spacing is 518 trees/acre.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Yeah we can't do that here, too wide. The spruce and fir would be cow shades for 40 years. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Some of mine is planted 12' rows, with 10' spacing for about 360 trees per acre.  The theory being that the first thinning will be at 18 years and should all be chip 'n saw.  We'll see.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ljmathias

Those seem like pretty wide spacings for initial planting- it was my understanding that planting closer (8-10' rows, 6' between trees) led to straighter trunks and more self-pruning; then thinning at two intervals opened things up as the trees sprouted straight up.  Maybe depends on the species?

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

WDH

It depends on what you are growing as far as the target product.  The close spacing grows more smaller trees that remain pulpwood class trees for a longer period.  A wider spacing produces larger trees earlier that grow into small sawlogs faster.  Since the value of sawlogs is much higher than pulpwood, I want the trees to grow larger faster.  It is an economic decision.  If you plant the closer spacing, the acre will only support so many trees, so there is more mortality as the trees compete with each other.  It costs more to plant more trees and there is no real gain in the end product.  12 foot spacing grows trees that reach first thinning age sooner than 10 foot spacing.  Thinning earlier promotes faster growth that jump starts the trees to grow to sawlog size faster.  My Company has years of research that shows this effect. 

SwampDonkey

It works for pine, which is full well what this thread is about. But it doesn't work for spruce, fir and tolerant hardwood. You end up with bushy trees for species that need to be self pruned as it grows and needs to be thinned a couple or 3 times along the way to remove pulp and some studwood (softwood) and firewood (hardwood) over an 80 + year time horizon. You can't go in and prune fir and spruce like you can pine, they don't heal up fast enough and you get rot. We can't burn in these fir-spruce stands either, it would go up like a torch, too tight a spacing. Balsam fir will likely have to be cut out of the stand before the spruce ends the rotation, problem is many sites have too much fir to do that, so everything is taken. Exception would be plantation, and I've seen many of those that have become 80 % fir.  ::)  Balsam fir, a glorified weed. :D

customsawyer

It is a good thing them trees are doing well so they can stay above the water. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

I suspect that the ripped furrow gives the water a way to drain deeper than it would otherwise given the plow pan (restricted layer) that is present in most fields, and assuredly so in this field.

I am trying to decide whether to spray for grass again this spring or to let them go as is.  On my Company's land, there is only one grass control spray, but then again, we don't plant many old hay fields either.  My brother is in the Ag chemical business, so we might look at a broadcast spray with a crop duster.  Or, I may not do anything at all.

Magicman

Could/would you also fertilize if you sprayed?

WDH

The trees look really good for 1 year, and the color is a healthy green.  Many of the young plantations that you see at this time of the year have a yellowish cast to them.  Given the cost of fertilizer, I am not leaning to fertilize them this year given their current condition.

SwampDonkey

Fertilizer from what I've found out was only cost effective later on in the tree development, near the end of the rotation. The effects were only expressed for up to 3 years. Spacing, as in pre-commercial thinning, had effects expressed for 25 years at various densities. Available nitrogen from fertilizer doesn't stick around long for trees to get maximum benefit. In heavy rains, the nitrate component was quickly lost.

WDH

Fertilization after the first thinning, about age 12 in this case, would provide the best response.  That is a ways off, so hopefully I will be around to wrestle with that decision.

customsawyer

WDH I was thinking you might post a pic of those little babies before it turns green and we can't see them. ;D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Don K

Yes!! Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

customsawyer

Alright Danny here is another plea for a pic of my little babies.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Your babies are happy this spring.  The tallest are a little over 5 feet, but the average is more like 4 feet tall.  Some trees have new growth this year approaching 2 feet already.

Ever who site prepped and planted this stand must have known what they were doing!  That would be you, Jake  8).

Don K

Looks good Danny. Thanks for the pic.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

stonebroke

Boy, You southerners can really grow pine trees. Up here in the frozen north that is probably a decade's worth of growth. Looks great.

Stonebroke

SwampDonkey

It would probably be close to 7 years at least for 5 foot pine. They (red pine) were always interplanted on pasture where white spruce where already established so they would catch up eventually to the spruce. Tamarack will grow almost 3 feet a year even in wet.

customsawyer

Glad you got that pic up there I thought I was going to have to drive over and take a look myself. You might have liked that as I could have brought those white oak logs to ya. ;D
They are looking very good must be that good dirt.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

It would be hard to carry more than a couple of those white oak logs on the motorcycle  :D.

Thank You Sponsors!