iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mailing wood

Started by Den Socling, December 26, 2015, 03:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

I want to mail a couple pieces of Bloodwood to a chair maker in Florida. The biggest is 8/4 9" x 62". It weighs 43 pounds. Two others are similar but a little smaller. If you don't know about Bloodwood, it is hard as rock and totally indestructible. Question: Do they have to be wrapped or can I just slap on a shipping label? I would just like to ship it as 3 "packages". They aren't going to believe it when I insure 3 pieces of wood for $450.  :D

beenthere

Shipping company would be good place to ask. I was under the impression UPS would not take things that were not wrapped. But could be wrong on that.

If the wood gets "lost", can you replace the wood for $450 ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Den Socling

BT I have a ton of Bloodwood. A company sent me thousands of bf a few years ago. It wouldn't all fit in my vac kiln so some was dried after they made their pick up. I wrapped one piece in cardboard but it seemed like a ridiculous waste of time. This is going to Parker Converse who made the Amboyna chair that I wrote about a few years ago. He sold that chair for $25,000!

Magicman

I have shipped and received lumber through UPS that was taped together.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den Socling

That's what I though MM. A single heavy piece with a secure label should go.

isawlogs

Some shipping compagnies prefere things wrapped up... even if its only plastic wrap, it takes the responsiblility of damaging the product away from them  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Den Socling

I'll put stretchwrap on them. That's easy. Cardboard and shipping tape is a pain.

Magicman

Sadly I did not take a picture before I cut the tape off,

but these three pieces of lumber were taped together sent to me by UPS.  Stretchwrap sounds like a very doable option.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

Tha'll work Den, easy and fast!!    :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Den Socling

Thank you guys. I knew there would be answers here!

Kcwoodbutcher

I've shipped a few smaller slabs to Utah via UPS. Just taped (very securely) a label on it and they picked it up. They were just under the 70 lb limit.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

WDH

When I ship wood naked, UPS charges me extra because the wood is not in a package.  If I remember right, it is about a $6 to $8 additional freight charge to ship wood naked. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kbeitz

I was told the extra charge for bare wood or anything in wood boxes is to cover splinters by the UPS workers.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Hackermatack

I have shipped a few packages FedX . I just cut cardboard to fit and Stretch wrap the  whole thing. I don't imagine that with such valuable wood a few extra dollars in shipping makes much difference but you said it was 62" and I have found anything over 60" takes a pretty big jump in price when shipped FedX.
Jonsered 2230, 590, 70E. Kioti DK 35 /w fransguard winch. Hudson Oscar 236

Peter Drouin

I would wrap it.
could be all done by now with all the talk about it here. :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

terrifictimbersllc

FEDEX and UPS limits are 150 pounds.  Watch out for a $50 addition to the price as the dimensions increase past an "oversize limit" which for packages 51-150 pounds is 130 inches in (Length + Girth).   https://www.fedex.com/us/developer/WebHelp/fsms/1401/dvg/DVG-WebHelp/5_4_1_Package_Size_and_Weight_Rules_for_FedEx_Ground_and_FedEx_Home_Delivery_U_S.htm

Doubt there would be any concern for being unwrapped, rather if there is  a "nonstandard packaging" type charge it will be because of the shape of the bundle not being rectangular or box-like whatever the geometric name for that is.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Den Socling

They went out via USPS this morning with just stretch wrap. Even a piece 62" long weighing 47 lbs. No problem except the woman at the counter had to get a guy from the back to lift them off her scale. $190 with insurance and with 3 to 5 day delivery.

isawlogs

I love stretch wrap!!  While atthe office did yu ask about sending out bare wood ???

Marcel

Den Socling

No. When someone mentioned being charged for splinters, I dropped the bare wood idea.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!