iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking about narrow and wide mill

Started by Crusarius, December 12, 2017, 01:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

So I have been looking at my sawframe a lot lately. I have also been seeing a lot of posts for ppl looking to have very large logs milled. I accidentally made my bed 50" wide. My sawframe is only 31" between the guides. I keep thinking about adding an extension to the sawframe and an adapter for the tensioner so I can widen out the mill. I don't think I want the mill to be that wide all the time so I would have 2 different length blades.

The reason I stayed the width I have is because I don't think I will ever have anything that big on the mill. But the ability to cut really wide may really come in handy sometimes.

I know handling the logs will become a major challenge. I am thinking for those jobs I may have to charge a premium and steal my buddies excavator :) I also know the cost of blades will go up quite a bit.

I wonder how the guys with the wide mills are dealing with all that?

Should I try to make the mill handle 2 widths? Or should I leave it alone and then modify later if I find myself needing more?

Here is a pic to make things easier to understand.

Kbeitz

Big bucks is in the BIG wood.  If I would do anything different on
building my mill it would be to make it wider. Keep in mind your
blade will cost more.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

There is a modified LT40 here that has two width positions.  Standard and W I D E.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I know the bands would cost more to buy, sharpen and replace but I'd also think the longer blades would cut more wood with every revolution so I don't know how much the actual cost difference would be.

I've never seen a sawyer yet who said "I wish I could only cut smaller logs" but I bet every one of us has said "I sure which I could cut a bigger log and a wider board/slab/cant."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crusarius

WV that was my thought as well.

My other thought though was smooth cut. If I am cutting a 12" log with a very wide throat how much more likely would I be to get wavy cuts? I know I can build the guide to be more robust but I am still concerned about that.

Plus not sure I want to deal with stocking 2 blade lengths.

Maybe my real question is more for guys living in this area. Do you have the need to be wide?

ronwood

If I was building a bandsaw mill I would go wider.
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Southside

Quote from: Magicman on December 12, 2017, 01:51:15 PM
There is a modified LT40 here that has two width positions.  Standard and W I D E.   :P

Magicman -

Who has that mill? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I was hoping that someone would remember better than me and provide a link to the topic.  We will find it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I would go wide, turned down too many I could not handle, but the handling is the real issue, not necessarily the sawing, after seeing this photo of your build, I would have tried to get both wheels outside the posts,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

BigZ La

From the looks of your design all I would do is buy another pulley and make another Idler side like you have but with longer tubing. Change idler side and blade and your ready to go.

Crusarius

I was actually thinking of just extending the frame so I can slide the wheels further. And also make an extension for my hydraulic tensioner. I would just need 2 sets of safety catches so when the band breaks the wheels don't launch. Would be really easy. the next thing I would have to figure out is what blade length. Be nice to have a stock length.

I think this has just been added to my todo list.

Wonder if it makes more sense to just make it wide and stick with that or dual width?

starmac

I think going wider would be great, but if mine would handle bigger logs, I would sure want the hydraulics to match it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Crusarius

yea, hydraulics definitely be great. I am still trying to figure out how to run hydraulics without a second engine.

Ljohnsaw

I'd look at moving the idle side guide back a few inches and possibly the drive side a little more - you could gain a few more inches for a 8/4 or so slab.  Do you expect to make some bigger slabs than ~35"?
Quote from: Crusarius on December 14, 2017, 08:18:26 AM
yea, hydraulics definitely be great. I am still trying to figure out how to run hydraulics without a second engine.
Electric over hydraulic - run an electric wire from your head (using the flexible track stuff or go overhead with a panto-graph setup) to your hydraulic pump to run whatever on the deck.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Crusarius

I was looking at moving the guide. BUt the more I thought of it I chose not to. I could get a little more width but if I am not paying attention I will hit the wheels. I could see that causing a lot of damage.

I was thinking electric over hydraulic but a slightly different setup than you described. That will have to come in the future since this is needing to stay under $6000 for the build.

Thank You Sponsors!