iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spencer tape

Started by Firewoodjoe, July 24, 2019, 08:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: chep on February 01, 2023, 09:35:10 AM
Check out Husqvarna log tapes
Had two. The orange plastic one and the metal one. Plastic was actually really good. Lasted the longest out of anything. Even the spencer. Long story short. No. Spencer is the best I've ever used mostly because you can buy all the parts a rebuilt many many times. I've worn the screws out on some. 

Bruno of NH

I need a refill for my Spencer 
The mill help rips them by the way they pull the hook.
35 years as a builder/ carpenter
I told Sheila the other day the mill help has lost or broken half of my tools.
Some I had for 40 years 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

newoodguy78

Nobody respects tools as much as the one that bought them. 

Walnut Beast

Vintage Spencer made in Seattle! 

Skeans1

ID4ster

I've used a Spencer tape for close to 45 years now both cruising and when bucking logs. Basically, I just cut the rubber bumper off, wrap it with electrical tape from the toggle end to just short of the zero mark and back again and then use a horseshoe nail for the hook. Horseshoe nails are easy to come by and you can get the length that suits you the best. The other thing is that I don't let the tape snap back into the reel. I always put enough resistance on it when it comes back in to keep from getting loops or from having it slam back into the reel.
I've used both the 50' bucking tape and the 75' cruising tape with the diameter tape on the reverse side without problems for years now. If I have had a break it's usually my own fault and you can get new ends to splice on a broken tape.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

OH logger

I agree with that middle pic walnut beast. Professional loggers DO rule!!!  :D
john

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Skeans1 on February 11, 2023, 03:29:26 PM
@Walnut Beast
Diameter tape?
Yes measurement on the one side and diameter on other side. I was surprised when I had checked on a older 75' one that was for sale when I asked the guy if it had diameter on the other side and surprisingly he said no. So I was out on that one. The difference between the regular and pro tape model is the pro tape has a  finger brake on it like a regular tape measure. 

Ron Scott

I've used them for many years but have had to learn to use them with care. Maintenance and repairs were often needed. I often felt that they could be better made for use in the forester's environment. Liked them when they were working!
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!