iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I made the news today, oh boy...

Started by pnyberg, June 04, 2011, 04:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnyberg

I did a post a while back about doing a demo at an architectural firm.  I turns out one of the employees is also a part time writer for the largest newspaper in the state, The Hartford Courant.  He does a series of articles about businesses in the form of '5 Questions'.  We did an interview over the phone, and a photographer was sent out a few days later, and the article appeared in the paper today:

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-5q-coventry-lumber-20110520,0,5752302.story

I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out, and I like the picture too. 

Enjoy,
    Peter
No longer milling

medic

Congratulations.  Usually when I make the news its not a good thing. 
scott
Retired Paramedic, TimberKing 1400, Logrite cant hooks, old MacCullough chain saws.  Too many projects not enough hours in the day.

Mooney

8) Nice going! Just posted the link to the article and your website to the Wood-Mizer facebook page!  I know our 1,500 fans will enjoy  ;D

Magicman

Somehow I could see this coming.  Congratulations Peter.

Preserve the written article, because the newspaper link probably will not stay up.  I had to take pictures of my newspaper articles.  You probably know how to upload it or something.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

D Hagens

Congratulations Peter :)

I've been watching your methodical climb up the ladder and I think your positive outlook really helped you get to where you are :)

You have some good smarts, keep it up 8) 

Chuck White

Congratulations Peter!

Good work and an overall good guy don't go unnoticed!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Very well deserved given all the thought, hard work, and preparation that you put into this venture. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Woodchuck53

Great job. Just goes to show that those that will, can perservere.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

DanG

That's really cool, Peter!  I like the picture too. :) :)  Be careful how you go public though, you may get busier than you want to be. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Cedarman

Congratultions Peter!  Great photo. Very good article.  Your writer made it very interesting with the questions.   A good website is one of the best tools you can have as a small business.  You are showing how to make it work.  Do you have a fair amount of cedar in Ct?  I get customers from their all the time.  Sometimes they just need a small amount if you can provide or is all your work custom work?  Would any of your customers want to sell their cedar? Some jobs I would just as soon refer.  I looked at 3000 acres of cedar under the power lines about 10 years ago.  Did the power companies get rid of it? 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: DanG on June 04, 2011, 11:04:04 PM
That's really cool, Peter!  I like the picture too. :) :)  Be careful how you go public though, you may get busier than you want to be. ;)
Congrats Peter, very nice.  You deserve all the complements above.   Please remember me if you really do get a 36" diameter, 20 foot long log!    And btw,  last weekend I was in Eau Claire and visited the Paul Bunyan museum!     :D :D :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

bandmiller2

Very good Peter,I've often wondered why saw milling is so satisfying.Today we are all cogs on a giant wheel and do one little task.With the sawmill you can go from raw material to completed product.Hope you don't get too busy and turn milling into work. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

pnyberg

Quote from: Cedarman on June 05, 2011, 06:50:52 AM
Do you have a fair amount of cedar in Ct?  I get customers from their all the time. 

In my experience there's not a lot of cedar in CT, which would be one reason that people here reach out to folks like you. 

--Peter
No longer milling

bandmiller2

Sometimes publicity isn't great like when your new outlaw mill building is on the front page. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

OlJarhead

Nice article!  very inspiring...now if I could get my step-son to read it...
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Dodgy Loner

What a great article. And the best advertising money can't buy :)

Thanks for sharing!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

customsawyer

Be careful what you wish for. The phone is going to start ringing now.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

brendonv

Congrats to you!

I'm currently saving up a bit of a log pile, then we'll be in touch! 8)
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

ForestMan

Congratulations.  I read the article.  Very good.  I hope you prosper.  Hang on to the article and get some printed up to include in flyers, .pdf for download on your website, etc.  Great publicity.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

Thank You Sponsors!