iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New shoes and more.

Started by Jeff, March 12, 2017, 08:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I have some big sawing plans for my 31 year old sawmill this year, so now that I have a place to work, some things are gonna change!  I plan on reworking the battery side of the mill so I can use a standard size battery and redoing the wiring rats nest in the "control box" probably relocate it as well. New tow wire and lights. New sawing scales if i can get them and ya never know, maybe even a little paint.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

Gonna be purty. Don't forget the dielectric grease  :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Darrel

watching, anxiously expecting great things!  8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

We will enjoy watching that old gal get a facelift.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Sawing plans?   ;D  Whatcha going to be sawing-building?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

I have all that cedar up to my property that I was going to build a cabin with. It can't sit another year. Well over 100 logs yet. There is also 20 bigger tamarack stacked up there too. I want to build about 100 feet of fence and also a building to replace the quansit tent that stores my mowers and quad.

Chuck White

Looks like it's going to be a busy year for you Jeff, Good luck!    smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

porcupine

We've seen the before photo and will be waiting for the "after"
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

slider

Don't get any orange paint on the bird.
al glenn

Jeff

The bird and the sawmill will not be coexisting anywhere there might be paint. :) 

Treehack

Sounds like a lot of work(FUN).  Will be looking forward to the progress updates.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

isawlogs

Once I get my mill out of the where it sits... Still wayto much snow to think of getting anywheres near it with any kind of towing vehicule, the battery box is on the to do list ... It has completly rottted out and I  had to strap it on the finish sawing last fall. Is yours also under the sawhead on that model.. i'm assuming it is. I  can put a large car battery in mine, what size do you have in that mill Jeff???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My friend that was killed on his farm had a mill that looks like yours Jeff.
He never let me saw with it but I helped him move lumber on and off for 23 years.
Its good seeing an up close pic of your mill.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

paul case

BTW that ceiling looks good too.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Jeff

Quote from: isawlogs on March 13, 2017, 09:56:36 AM
Once I get my mill out of the where it sits... Still wayto much snow to think of getting anywheres near it with any kind of towing vehicule, the battery box is on the to do list ... It has completly rottted out and I  had to strap it on the finish sawing last fall. Is yours also under the sawhead on that model.. i'm assuming it is. I  can put a large car battery in mine, what size do you have in that mill Jeff???

It only allows you to put one of those long skinny batteries. Not sure of the dimensions, but they are certainly not over 5 inches. I'll need to remove the fender mount and redo that, that will give me room for the battery to pass past the wheel. I want to build a new box, and relocate the elecrrical panel there as well.  As it is, if you have the head all the way down, and if the battery dies, you can't get to the battery without considerable fiddle-fating around.

Quote from: paul case on March 13, 2017, 03:50:54 PM
BTW that ceiling looks good too.

PC

Yea it do don't she? smiley_smug01

paul case

My 706 Farmall USED TO have a battery like that. Them are more expensive than a regular car battery and dont last anywhere near as long. A revamping to accept the same size and type battery your pickup takes will be doin you a big favor.

I wonder if you could build a whole nother battery box either behind or in front of the head high enough to clear the tire or axle so you didnt have to change it around?
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

isawlogs

Mine big enoughto fit a regular car battery.. That being said, if it goes and dies on you, it is under the headrig as yours, only way I found to get to it is to boost from the starter wich is not that easy, or bring power to the alternator much easier access.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

paul case

OR you can hand crank the pulley on the up/down gear box for half a day to get it up far enough to get the cover off.
Don't ask how I know.
Jump to the pos post on the alt. Much easier.

I must do it the hard way first.

Jeff,
Is your mill a lt40 or 30 hyd? Can't remember. Maybe I need to sit down.
PC
pc

Jeff

Or you can manually spin the up motor pulley a quarter million times. (DITTO) Paul beat me to the post ;)

I hate that battery. My big concern right now is it's not charging, or, the charge isn't getting back to the battery. If its that the mag has lost magnetism, I'm pretty much toast. That part, if you can find it, costs more than the onan is worth. Parts like the coil are impossible to find, and other parts are horribly expensive. Simple carb kit is like 40 bucks. If you want a float with that, double.  I'm hoping the shady wiring is the culprit.

LT30 manual.

paul case

Yeah thats the same luck I have had with onan parts. If it was mine and ''if'' it happened to have an extra pulley I would add the automotive alternator. That would keep that battery hot.

PC
pc

Magicman

By design, I would have to use a jump battery to raise the head if the battery died.  Deters thieves from stealing the battery.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

And you cant do that easily  without the keys.

PC
pc

Jeff

I plan on building a lockable battery box.

Kbeitz

I got 4 garden tractors with the onans. I dont think the prices
are bad at all off E-bay...

New coils      $63.00
Carb kits.      $24.00
Stater           $120.00 (thats a little high)
Rings             $22.00
Carburetor     $86.00
Piston+rings   $56.00
gasket set      $30.00
V-Regulator    $54.00

I think you would pay at least this much for other engine parts.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jeff

The carb for my engine is almost 300 bucks. The parts are hit and miss on ebay. Many don't fit. Been there, done that.

Jim H

My first mill was a 1986 lt30. Looked just like yours but had a Kohler magnum 16 instead of the Onan. When I got it the previous owner had put in a lawn and garden type battery, that had enough power to start the engine and run the motors. I changed it to the skinny battery and that lasted until I sold it about three years later. Now with the hydraulic mill running pretty regularly I rarely get much more than a year and a half out of a battery.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

isawlogs

Do you have a double pully on the motor.... If not, I may be able to help you out, then you would need to put in the alternator support brackets, from what I seen on my mill, that aint hard to make. I guess before doing anything, one would need to verify the lenght of the engin shaft... Just saying bro, if you want to put in an alternator, I do have a pully here for an Onan.....  ;)

Marcel

Jeff

First I need to confirm it isn't charging I think.

isawlogs

That would be one way to approche the maybe probleme.  :)

Marcel

47sawdust

Jeff,
I can tell you are really enjoying have a comfortable work space.Nothing like it.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Jeff

I love it! Any and all projects, jobs or chores now are a joy.  :)  Now when something breaks or goes haywire I say "I GOT THIS!" :D

slider

Amen to a nice place to work.
al glenn

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Jeff on March 14, 2017, 04:32:47 PM
I love it! Any and all projects, jobs or chores now are a joy.  :)  Now when something breaks or goes haywire I say "I GOT THIS!" :D

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

tacks Y

Jeff did you buy this new? So what year did WM start making mills?

red

Jeff's LT30 was delivered packed in ICE . Also known as the Slush Mizer.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Jeff

Yup, thee slush-mizer/food-mizer. I purchased it 12 years ago from member douginutah . He hauled it across the continental divide in a snow storm, making it unrecognizable to but a few once it came out the other side.  I'm not sure what year was the first, but this mill is certainly in the first 3 or 4 years. It was built in July of 86.

pineywoods

Somewhere I remember reading that the first production model was 1983.That makes Jeff's mill one of the oldest
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jeff

To bad they have never wanted it back for a collectors item. :D  I'd surely make a swap! :)

Waterford Woodworks

If you paint it I would love to know how it goes. I've thought about painting mine since the day I bought it. Ive also contemplated trying to reconfigure the battery to a complete different location due to the sawdust and bark building up on top of the battery box. Bibbyman did it right but he didn't need a battery since going electric. My first mill (Lt40 manual) didn't collect the sawdust so bad on the battery box as bad as this one(Lt40 super). I think its due to the larger drive motor size.
2006 Lt40 Super Cat 51, Allis Chalmers 185
"Keep doing what your doing and you'll keep getting what your getting, life is what you make of it."

Jeff

I'm kinda leaning away from painting now, but who knows. I did start tearing out the old battery box today.

Jeff

Initial mock up of the new battery
tray.
I first removed the fender mount, then cut off the ridge that stuck up on the axle carriage frame to get clearance in front of snd under the battery. Since I don't have any steel other than junk I have collected, I'm reporposing.
The old lid is now incorporated into the box. The new lid once constructed will hinge from the bottom front to give access to the battery when the head is all the way down. I have to take the new box back off and build the sides before I can bolt it back on. I'll find something to space the old fender mount out 3/4s of an inch and put that back on, then build my lid.

paul case

Looking good!!! smiley_clapping smiley_clapping

PC
pc

Ljohnsaw

Just make sure you leave enough room that you can bring your head all the way down!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

That is part of the reason for doing this. The head sits right on the battery box on this model in the down position. This is being improved upon.

Darrel

If you make the battery box lid out of a non-metallic material, you'll be able to gain a little bit more room.  You'll be able to get closer to the top of the battery without shorting things out. I doing this to my '92 LT40 and will gain another 3/4 inch of clearance and I'll almost be able to get my hands in there with the head all the way down.
1992 LT40HD

red

The normal battery would be a Group 31 , and I like AGM for all the vibrations. But if you are using a car battery a Group 34 is one inch smaller height .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Jeff

My mill is much different than anything newer. The 86 was built so you could cut no closer than 3" to the deck. So, getting the battery lower does me no good. I have plenty of room between the top of the new box and the top of the battery posts.
It's now ready for an access door, but I don't have anything to make it from.

Kbeitz

Sounds like it's time for a trip to the junk yard.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Brian C.

All looking good! Anxious to see the result.

goose63

Jeff you can show it off at the pig roast :)  ;D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Jeff

A couple more weld tacks, add the hinges on the bottom and some sort of top latch, paint, and this will be ready to install. Once the battery situation is taken care of, on to replacing much of the wiring.

Darrel

Anybody who can do a job that looks that good with a hammer that big can do anything! 8)
1992 LT40HD

Jeff

That is exactly how I've been making my parts. The hammer, the vice. A block of wood, and the work table edge is all I have for bending and forming the sheet metal. There are hammer marks, but a guys gotta use what a guys gotta use!

Ljohnsaw

IF you want to lessen the hammer marks, get the biggest rubber mallet you can find.  I found that works really good at bending and not creasing/denting your work.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Weekend_Sawyer

I was thinking a trip to the junkyard for a car hood or fender would give you a good amount of sheet metal.

Watching with interest.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Darrel

I've tried doing sheet metal work using hammers and it never looks good, functional yes but looks pretty bad.
1992 LT40HD

azmtnman

Quote from: pineywoods on March 14, 2017, 06:44:14 PM
Somewhere I remember reading that the first production model was 1983.That makes Jeff's mill one of the oldest
My LT30 was manufactured in April of 1984 (serial #143). Battery has been on my redesign wish list too. If my solar charging panels don't work well, it will be sooner than later.

Jeff, are you sure yours will only cut to 3"? I can cut down to 2". The clamping system makes anything less than 4" a PITA but it can done.
I have thought about making something to raise and clamp the cant so I can get down to 1".
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

KirkD

Jeff,

Both the up down and carriage motors and controls look the same as my 1989 LT40 but mine will take a normal sized battery.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Jeff

3" is it. I usually cut a nice straight 3" thick can't first thing, then use that to put under each subsequent can't if I'm sawing on down.

Jeff

Ready to mount as soon as I build the new fender mount. It's not beautiful, but with what I have to work with, I'm okay with it.

Weekend_Sawyer

From my desk chair it looks great!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

Look at this mess!

Almost every wire has insulation missing.  Trying to make heads or tales. Over the years before I got it, redundant wires and grounds were ran all over the place when originals failed. And left in place I might add.

New box in place.

This is why this mill only saws to 3 inches from the bed. My finger it pointing to what hits the rail at 3".

Jeff

Battery upgrade complete. All kinds of clearance. Only have to pull the fender out now to get to that battery. Onward to more electrifrying things. electricuted-smiley

Darrel

More electrifying??  This could be interesting, I'm staying tuned!

Looks good!
1992 LT40HD

isawlogs

Did you get the pic I sent you Mister electreessien?   :P

Marcel

Jeff

I did. I'm thinking I may get some parts to put that control panel back together right.

Jeff

Thanks to Sparks and Wood-Mizer!   I have all the guts coming to rewire that mess in the box, less the wire.  Switch, hour meter, two indicator lights, and a breaker assembly.

scully

Jeff if I am not mistaken WM increased the size of the stater on that for higher charging output etc. If your mill is pre- mod you may want to order a bigger one from WM . Thats if you have the Onan .
I bleed orange  .

Magicman

You may want to pop rivet a flap or something over that opening in the battery box to prevent sawdust intrusion.  I can't tell from the picture about a battery hold down bracket, but a piece of plumber's pipe strap should work nicely to hold the battery against the back of the box.

Jeff

Quote from: scully on March 23, 2017, 01:09:48 PM
Jeff if I am not mistaken WM increased the size of the stater on that for higher charging output etc. If your mill is pre- mod you may want to order a bigger one from WM . Thats if you have the Onan .

I'll probably try and put an alternator on it. A new stater and voltage regulator costs about half of what a new non-obsolete engine might. I can't see putting overpriced parts in an engine they don't make parts for any more.

Kbeitz

I still say E-bay is your best bet for Onan parts.

voltage regulator around $25.00

stater  $35.00

I would be glad to help you find the parts you need.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

lmo506

Quote from: azmtnman on March 20, 2017, 02:37:51 PM
Quote from: pineywoods on March 14, 2017, 06:44:14 PM
My LT30 was manufactured in April of 1984 (serial #143). Battery has been on my redesign wish list too. If my solar charging panels don't work well, it will be sooner than later.

Jeff, are you sure yours will only cut to 3"? I can cut down to 2". The clamping system makes anything less than 4" a PITA but it can done.
I have thought about making something to raise and clamp the cant so I can get down to 1".
mine is a 1982 and it cuts to two inches
I have never pretended to be anything I'm not, except sober, I've pretended to be sober a few times

Thank You Sponsors!