iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got your firewood done yet?

Started by uplander, August 08, 2014, 01:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

I just finished mine up yesterday. The calculator says I split and stacked 2.73 cords of black cherry and red oak. Got 'er split with a 6lb. maul too. Tryin' to lose weight and get in shape ;)

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rooster 58

Yup. A stack 4' wide, 19' long, and 56" high ;)

waynem3020

Got about 4-5 cords stacked and split, will pry need to do another 5 cords or so. It is a lot more fun and goes way faster since I got the proper equipment. Got a new Wallenstein FX90 winch in November 2013, a new Stihl MS390 chainsaw in December 2013, a used Timberwolf TW5-FC in February 2014, and a used John Deere 5203 tractor in July 2014. So it is time to stop buying and start working ! :D
JD5203 with a Wallenstein FX90 winch, EZ Boardwalk Jr., PSG Max Caddy, Timberwolf TW-5FC, Stihl MS391

NHMike

I just about finished stacking everything I have.  Maybe 1 or 2 more nights if I get home early enough.  I have about 6 cord for this year and another 1 1/2 - 2 cord that needs to season for next year.

What I have to work on cutting some more trees down and stacked for next spring.

Piston

Quote from: rooster 58 on August 11, 2014, 08:45:45 AM
I just finished mine up yesterday. The calculator says I split and stacked 2.73 cords of black cherry and red oak. Got 'er split with a 6lb. maul too. Tryin' to lose weight and get in shape ;)

Here I am complaining that my hydraulic wood splitter has no log lift  :D :D :D

Way to go Rooster! 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

NITRO313jh

Well , I Have it all cut and split , Best guess is seven cords , But will not know till I get it stacked . Let the fun start  :D :)

rooster 58

enigmaT120

My wood for this coming winter has been stacked in the car port for a year.  Next winter's wood is cut and piled up along an old skid road that I cleared up for use again.  I got it cut before fire season started here, now I just need to split, haul, and stack it before the rain starts up again.  Almost all Douglas fir, precommercial thinning.  I do about a cord a day on my days off.  That gives me a good workout (monster maul) and still leaves me with time to work on other projects that day.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Firewoodjoe

I'm not done cutting others! Haha but I can cut mine anytime with my outdoor wood eater! Happy cutting

stumper

Plan to finish minethis weekend.  4 cord cut split and in the shed now, 7 by the end of the weekend.  It is tough to get old.  I remember when I could do up 3 cord in a day, then go chasing women and drinking. 

xalexjx

have 3-4 cords of my own cut split and stacked, really need another 5-6 to have enough for the winter, I need another day in the week or 3 more hours a day!
Logging and Processed Firewood

yukon cornelius

yikes! I barely started and with the new house and shop build I really have no idea how much I will need. I bet maybe 6-8 cords. I have maybe one cord cut but not split. I have a lot of dead standing close to the house and fourwheeler paths. I best get cracking before its chilly. I just hope it gets dry enough before winter.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

submarinesailor

Quote from: Piston on August 10, 2014, 02:50:33 PM
Quote from: MJD on August 10, 2014, 07:47:06 AM
I have 5 cord of black locust stacked and hope its enough for this winter, last year was the 1st time in 8 season to burn 5 cord. One thing I have noticed is a standing dead locust burns longer than a live cut trees for some reason, the land owner that lets me cut girdles the trees to kill them and they are nice and dry when I take them down but hard like a rock. I will start cutting for next season in a month or so.

That's some prime stuff right there!

I like and try to burn nothing but locust.  Some of the old timers around here have been known to call it the "poor mans coal".  I have about a cord that has been cut, spilt and stacked for over 2 years and about an other cord that's just about a year.  So I think I have enough.  Hopefully, during the first week of September, we will pull some more large dead olds down of the mountain and get them put away.

Bruce

clww

That pile I've been working on from our last clearing job is never ending. I hauled four cords last week, but there are at least two more to go. My original estimate was seven cords, but it will be closer to eleven. My right arm is about done throwing it over the fence into the back yard. I'm not complaining over free red oak that I'll sell later. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

NHMike

Well I finished cutting the last 4 trees that I hadn't cut up yet.  Was going to go out back and drop some more trees for next year, but I saw my neighbor cutting up his pile & stopped over to chat.  Found out his splitter was down so I brought mine over and we had about a cord & 1/2 split in an hour and twenty minutes.  He was very impressed with the SS.
I brought it back home and finished what I had.  I have pretty close to 9 cords now.

Oliver1655

Nice to be able to help your neighbor.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

SwampDonkey

First sawing job will be a woodshed.  :D But for now, I'll just switch on the electric furnace.  Hopefully a month away from doing that. ;D

Most of the black locust here (actually all) is in yards and abondoned homesteads as ornamentals. No idea why people want that thorny stuff. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ford_man

Hey guys summer is about over put down the fishin poles an quit diggin bate and pick up the chainsaw a
nd splittin maul and get that wood put up. splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley

Oh By the way huntin season is gettin close. fudd-smiley fudd-smiley fudd-smiley smiley_chop smiley_chop cut_tree cut_tree

rooster 58

Split and stacked another 1.7 cords yesterday in 5 hrs. I had help though. My uncle was up visiting and he loaded the truck while I was swingin' the maul. Then I started having trouble with the maul handle, which slowed me down a mite. Last night I put a new handle on it ;)

Oliver1655

I have a problem with my splitting maul handles also, they just don't fit my hands the way the valve lever on my splitter does. ;)
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

enigmaT120

No chain sawing where I live, at least not just for firewood.  It's fire season.  Pro loggers still can until 1:00 pm.  I got all my logs sawed up before fire season, so I'm just splitting, hauling, and stacking it. 
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Peter Drouin

Quote from: enigmaT120 on August 19, 2014, 01:07:42 PM
No chain sawing where I live, at least not just for firewood.  It's fire season.  Pro loggers still can until 1:00 pm.  I got all my logs sawed up before fire season, so I'm just splitting, hauling, and stacking it. 
[/quot

You can't use your chain saw this time of year?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Foxtrapper

What, no pics of these awesome wood piles?  We have been at it all summer, and have just about enough to get through 2 years, plus we are cutting some to sell.  Have about 40 fc cut for that so far.  Between the haying and the garden, we been going nonstop all summer on something or other.  Harvesting potato's at the moment... 8)
2014 WoodMizer LT28

enigmaT120

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 19, 2014, 09:43:57 PM
You can't use your chain saw this time of year?

Not supposed to.  Like I said, the loggers are restricted to certain times and locations for the use of power saws and skidding and anything that could start a fire.  But I'm not supposed to for stuff like firewood or brush clearing.  Even the loggers have to do a fire watch after work and have a fire truck handy.  My property is in the state protected forest lands, and that's where the rules apply.  If I lived a few miles east I guess I could start all the fires I wanted. 

Here's a link to the restriction levels:

http://www.oregon.gov/odf/pages/fire/precautionlevel.aspx

I'm in the WO-1 zone.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Thank You Sponsors!