iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cooks Sharpener (work Height)

Started by redbeard, August 01, 2014, 01:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

4x4,  wile I wouldn't consider it critical proper adjustment of the support and rollers is important on the Cats Claw sharpener. You want the band supported so it doesn't rock as it is fed under the grinding wheel. (grinding rock to you southern boys) A diamond grit wheel dresser is a big help shaping and maintaining the wheel. Oh and welcome. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

4x4American

Thanks for the welcome.  I've been lurking here for a spell, mainly been over on AS for awhile, but have found there to be alot of drama over there and I don't care for that.  This forum seems way better, I just gotta get used to the layout.

I will try and take some pictures or a video later on to post up.  They sent a wheel dresser to shape the rock with.  They also sent a deburring tool with the setter which was pretty cool.  Will see how it works if not I have an old hickory handle to use.
Boy, back in my day..

Chuck White

I have the Cat Claw sharpener and I would suggest you try what most of us do when sharpening bands!

Set the teeth first, then sharpen and don't worry about that little burr on the back side of the band, just leave it there, it's not worth it to spend time removing it!

It doesn't interfere with anything.  I've been doing mine like that for several years now and no sign of problems!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

Yup it'll come out in the wood.  That was my plan anyways---> set, sharp, saw.

I'm curious also in shaping the rock.  Is that something you do once with a new one and then just dress it every so often afterwards?
Boy, back in my day..

bandmiller2

Yes your right, I use the ceramic wheels from Cooks they come with square edges. I dress them to basically fit the tooth gullet on the left side and taper back on the right side to hit the back of the next tooth. After the initial shaping I do very little dressing. You can sharpen many many bands with the ceramic wheels before they need replacement. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

4x4American

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 27, 2014, 08:33:46 PM
Yes your right, I use the ceramic wheels from Cooks they come with square edges. I dress them to basically fit the tooth gullet on the left side and taper back on the right side to hit the back of the next tooth. After the initial shaping I do very little dressing. You can sharpen many many bands with the ceramic wheels before they need replacement. Frank C.

Good deal.  I am just going to run the stock ones that I've got with it for now.  Will get into more fancier ones later on down the line
Boy, back in my day..

YellowHammer

Every few dozen sharpenings I will rotate in a dull but never sharpened band and use it as a profile grinding template to make sure I am closely grinding the manufacturers factory shape. If not, it only takes a quick touch on the rock to dress it so everything matches back up.  Then, all my subsequent bands will match the factory tooth and gullet shape. 
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

4x4American

i cant figure out how to use this picture uploader
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

Need pics in .jpg format in your computer.
Need to set up your own gallery (under your profile) for a place to upload your pics.
Then just click on the line below this post window "Click here to add Photos to post".

There is a primer in the first thread of the "Behind the Forum" forum on the "Home" page.

Let us know which steps give you fits... we can give you a boost then.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

Thanks, I made the gallery, pics are .jpg, the problem I'm having is when I click on the click here to add photos, I go to the gallery, I've uploaded the pictures twice but they dont show up.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

yea...they made it to my album, but I cant seem to finger out how to put them onto here...looks like I uploaded them to my album quite a few times.  one is sideways....i give up.  going to work, we'll get it later I reckon
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!