iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anchor seal sprayer

Started by Dan_Shade, July 19, 2006, 09:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

what's everybody use?

i tried to use a cheap sprayer, gave up after about 2 minutes, then spent 20 cleaning it.

I see that UC Coatings sells a "cheap" hand pump for $65, is this thing worth the trouble?

i coated about 60 logs with a roller this weekend, and it was a real pain.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Gary_C

I have used a backpack sprayer from UC Coatings for years and it works well. I think they come with the correct nozzles for that end sealer.

I have left it with coating in it for long periods of time and you can easily clean up those sprayers with HOT water.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Dan_Shade

that's what I did, i used the bathtub (one of the advantages of being a bachelor).

I'm too cheap to spend a fortune on the backpack sprayer, i'm hoping somebody has figured out a way to make a regular sprayer work.  I tried drilling the tip out, but that didn't work for me either.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

beenthere

Tell us more about how you used a bathtub to apply anchor seal  ::) ???
:)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Snag

Dan,  Thanks for asking that question.  I want to find out the same thing and just hadnt asked yet.  I did some logs a couple weekends ago with a paint brush and vowed never again.  I too would not like to invest too much money in a backpack sprayer.  I already have a backpack sprayer I could use (I have it for hoticulture), but I dont do that great of a volume of logs.  I would rather use a hand held...

Dan_Shade

for a small number of logs, a roller works great.  but when you have a stack of 60 logs or so, a roller is a pain, but doable.

maybe i'll play around some more with my $9.99 sprayer from wally-world.  the big problem I had was uneven coating, then it just stopped coming out.

fstedy

I use a combination of sprayer and roller its better than either by themselves. Usually you have to open the nozzle on the sprayer ( small 2 quart size from HD 7 dollar cheapie ) because it tends to clog when you have it set for fine spray. When you get the log coated with the sprayer roll it out for even coverage. Usually a few heavier passes on the log end to get the Anchorseal on then a quick roll over for coverage. The small sprayer cleans up very quickly. Its the best solution I've found without spending a lot for the Anchorseal unit. You won't need a heavy coat on the whole end just enought to get the coating on. Also when you load the sprayer use a kitchen screen strainer to get the paint skin out.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

metalspinner

I find using a brush to apply Anchorseal is quite meditative. And a way for me to become one with my log.  ::) :D :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

submarinesailor

Talked with the guys from Anchor Seal at the Richmond show about spraying.  Wish I could remember the exact size he told me to use. ::) ::) ::)  I do remember that it was a large size. ;D ;D ;D 

Has anyone tried to call them and ask what the right size and flow rate is???? 888-363-2628 :D :D :D :D

Checked their web site and the viscosity is the same as latex based paint - 2000 cps.  Maybe we should try one of those Warner power spray guns that is rated for latex right out of the paint cans.

Bruce

Gilman

Harbor freight used to have a cordless sprayer but discontinued it.  Maybe a blessing in disguise.  I thought one of those would have worked well.

As far a rolling the sealer and becoming one with the wood, I prefer to wait and combine my sinus mucus with the log's sawdust.  Then I really become one with the wood.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Daren

I just use a cheap plastic pump sprayer ($10?) I used my pocket knife to hog out the spray end. It sprays in a big stream and I brush it out. I don't pump it up much, so it kinda just gives a nice globby stream, not a blast. It spray in a side to side then up and down motion not trying to cover everything, I smear what I spray around. I first started with a brush and found I lost more from the container to the log end that I do with the little bit of splash with the sprayer. My buckets go further now, and I only have to keep track of the sprayer and an old brush. It's really a pretty quick deal, a few squirts and a smear.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

bull

Just a big old paint brush slop it on.

Gary_C

That backpack sprayer works great, is fast, and I have left it half full for weeks at a time. Still works well.   8)

But thats all right, just keep fighting it and try those cheap methods. It's your time.  :D

Shawn

Has anyone checked the almighty source...Ebay???
Shawn...
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

Dan_Shade

you don't have to brush/roll it out with the sprayer, gary?

if I have to brush it out, i'll stick to the bucket and roller method.

Snag

Hey Gary,  If we went the easy route what would we do with all our spare time???  :D
I'll admit, sometimes I step over a dime to pick up a nickel  ::), but sometimes it can be fun to do.   :)

Gary_C

I have not used a brush except when I did not have the sprayer with me. I would say it takes a little more product with a sprayer because it's easy to over apply. You find out that you should not spray until you see the dark color, because that comes as it drys. If you really want a heavy coating, you should spray a second coat after the first has dryed.

rebocardo

For a small amount of logs, a roller works fine, and a sprayer is more hassle then its worth, at least for me. I think the roller works better into the cracks and such.

Thank You Sponsors!