iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this Douglas fir?

Started by Draco, September 11, 2013, 06:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

The hemlock on mine land is red just under the bark. Use an axe or just saw a little bit of the bark off with a chain saw.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Draco

Thanks guys!  Grabbing some branches was the only thing left to try, but I still couldn't get Hemlock.  Nothing else fit.

BC Troubadour

Sharp needles are the key to Spruce. Bark looks like our Western Spruce. (Picea Glauca x Englemanii)
I had a friend once. Wasn't much.

BradMarks

I'm gonna chime in again and say spruce - of some sort.  The pic looking up the tree with the scaly bark is very typical. The needles look pointed to me, whereas the hemlocks I'm familiar with (western region) the Western Hemlock and the Mountain Hemlock, have rounded ends and for lack of a better term the ends of the branches have a "softer" look. Those needles/branches look stiff.  And finally the cones are too large - for a hemlock.  That said, could there be significant differences between the sub-species of Hemlock to account for these variations?

SwampDonkey

Looks like more than one species for sure. Balsam Fir and spruce in the top photo of post #21 and spruce below, which doesn't include black, judging from cones. Probably red and white because the tree shown with the shot of the crown from under it looks like smaller limb diameters than any white spruce growing on field that I've seen. And those red spruce limbs are very tough for being small diameter. Any nubs on the branches you see is the pulvinus of the needle where it was held on spruce. If they are bud like than they could be fir pollen cones. The bark shown is not on a fir. First photos in the beginning post is spruce. Balsam fir cones won't even be on the tree now, they fall apart in the fall when ripe and leave the axis pointing straight up.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,15190.msg215882.html#msg215882
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!