iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw chain lube/luber

Started by Earl Beverly, March 08, 2010, 12:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl Beverly

Hi Folks,
I just added a 20' extension to my TK B-20. I am looking at a rainy day and +/- 160' of #40 chain.
I bought and have been using a case of Wall-Mart "Champion Chain Lube". It is a white lithium formula that does not look like it penetrates into the chain and does not offer protection from rust. Has anyone looked into some type of brush wiper and oiler. For dirt bikes there was no better than PJ-1, but the sawmill chains are not high speed and I would think the stickiness would accumulate a lot of saw dust.
Anyone have any ideas on this?
Earl Beverly

coastlogger

I guess youre referring to the feed chain?Pretty low speed, no heat, myself I dont think the kind of lube matters much. Mine is outside 24/7, I pour waste oil on it maybe once every two blue moons and it seems to function really well.Ive had this setup for two yrs, maybe cut 30000 bd ft, have yet to retighten chain so I dont think theres much wear happening there.higher speed chains are a different story.mho
clgr
clgr

ladylake

Same here, not much lube and around 7000 hours. I have tightend it a few times and just recently taken out 2 links on each side.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

wwsjr

I use ATF, Dextron III, on my WM Super Hyd both feed and up/down chain.  I think the maint schedule recommends every 50 hrs. I use a cheap spray bottle to apply to chain.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Magicman

I put ATF on the up/down and feed chain every morning that I saw.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

I carry a quart paint can full of used motor oil and apply with a paint brush to all of the chains while the mill is warming up as part of the daily start up procedure all with no sawdust issue. The person I bought the mill from stated that he did not oil the mill because it would attract sawdust. I had to replace all of the chain when I bought the mill because the links were rusted together as were all of the pins. Grease the pins while you are at it as it will save you a lot of head aches later.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chuck White

I use Liquid Wrench spray on the up/down & feed chains, usually at the beginning of the day or during the first break.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!