iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new chainsaw (Stihl dolmer or husqwarna)

Started by madcow, April 21, 2003, 01:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madcow

Hi all,

I would like to buy a new chainsaw but I don't know the correct model.

I use the chainsaw in Switzerland (we don't have big diameter, around 18" but the wood is really hard, not like pines).

I use the chainsaw once every mounth (not a profy)

Witch choise you think is better for me:

Stihl MS260, 360
Husqvarna 357 or 346
Dolmer 115

Thanks

Davide

Rob

I would go with the Husky 357XP or 346XP both are very good saws I personally own a 357XPG and love it,the reason I would go with Husky is mainly because the anti-vibration on the saws they're just smooth feeling when operating compared to the Stihls,plus the prices on the Husky saws can't be beat.Either way you go you can't go wrong so good luck.

Later Rob.

OneWithWood

But the saw that has the best service in your area.  The difference in the saws is not that great but the difference in dealers could be.

Welcome to the forum!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Davide.  All the way from Switzerland, eh? Be sure to put yourself  on the member map and Don't be a stranger. :)

Tillaway

Welcome Davide,
Yes, don't be a stranger.

Like OWW said, choose the best dealer.  You can't go wrong with any saw you listed.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

madcow

Thanks Guys,

now I edited the map (not so many useres in Europe)

Regarding the type of chainsaw I will go for an husqvarna or a stihl cause the service is better than others types.

In Europe we had a lot of Alpina. This was a really good chainsaw (I own the 70s antivib and the 40s). Unfortunaltly after 10 year no more spares (no way to get spares even in Italy). I don't wont that somthing like this happen again...

Anyway since Husqvarna is electrolux (like jonsored, mccullogh, partner) the quality is still the same?

Cheers

Davide

IndyIan

Hi Davide,
I'm new to the chainsaw world too.  As far as husqvarna quality goes, I've never read anything about the quality sliding after husky was bought by electrolux.  Go with the best dealer and I'm sure you'll be happy with a husky, jonsered, or sthil.
Ian

Patty

Madcow,

Both are great saws. Norm uses a Stihl and I use a Husky...our dealer services both. We like the Husky for smaller jobs, it is lighter in weight than the Stihl (the Husky is a little smaller, my son bought it for me for Christmas to get started on). When there is a big job, Norm pulls out the Stihl.
Welcome to the forum. ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Captain

I can appreciate Patty's post, I also do business with a dealer who services both.

They are hard to find, but this particular dealer started with and built his business on Husky, and aquired Stihl 6 or 7 years ago.  He stocks every model, each make.  

His story goes that he sells nearly 3500 saws a year now.  This has been steadily climbing gradually for 20 years or so.  However, now he would prefer to sell a customer, especially a commercial one, a Stihl.  Husky is not what it used to be, especially on the smaller end of the product line.  He is seriouslu considering dropping the line, but needs the franchise for replacement parts to service his customers.

What do I use?  Stihl exclusively.  However, I do have many friends in the business running Husky and Dolmar, Echo and Jonsered.  

Find a dealer that sells and services both, and gain his trust.  You'll get some good information.

Captain

redpowerd

ne1 have a link for dolmer? ive not seen hide nor hair of these saws, cant fin links, either, tham!ks
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

madcow

Hi sorry is not dolmer is dolmar...

here the swiss link

http://www.dolmar.ch

This is a german company

Cheers

DAvide

JD_Kid

Hi ya Guy's
sorry i've been flat out .i noted someone talking bout dolmars ,good saw's but as others have said don't matter how good a saw is if ya can't get it fixed it's crap :( i have 3 dolmars 109 ,120si and a ps9000 all good saws 8) ,for 18 inch stuff and being a bit tougher i'd run a 120si or what ever the new PS model is  ..115 might be working but like ya saying ya not working each day every day in the trees ....
on yea for the others that had probs with the swiss link this one will take ya to dolmar USA

http://www.dolmar.com

catch ya
JD Kid

I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

redpowerd

dem the same saws that baile's puts their name on?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

JD_Kid

Hi ya Redpowered
i jes got ta ask who is them baile's fellers ;) eye never heard of thems ,but that aside i do know makita(?) is tied up with dolmar (may even own them )and ya do see a few blue dolmars around but i think only places like miter 10 ,placemakers (handyman shops)sell them... while the true dolmars are sold in saw shops i have seen both side by side and on the out side thay both look the same but running gear maybe diffrent
catch ya
JD Kid
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

Thank You Sponsors!