iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how flat is flat when glueing panels, 20"x36"

Started by drobertson, February 12, 2015, 10:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

woodworker9, great post  smiley_thumbsup

I'm meticulous with my stickering, but still always use da jointer. I've even been known ta use it ta dress framing lumber.   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

beenthere

Quote from: drobertson on February 13, 2015, 06:27:18 PM
thanks guys!  I've done bout what has been mentioned,  the main issue is I dried it without proper stickering.  The planer did not take out the slight bow, so a few of the panels had a bow, maybe 1/8" or lil better.  I did get the jointer squared up, but man you guys that do this on a regular basis, hats off to you!  brutal, but fun,  thanks again,

Just to keep on track, I take it from this post that cup wasn't a problem, and it was bow from the stickering used.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Quote from: beenthere on February 15, 2015, 01:02:35 PM
Quote from: drobertson on February 13, 2015, 06:27:18 PM
thanks guys!  I've done bout what has been mentioned,  the main issue is I dried it without proper stickering.  The planer did not take out the slight bow, so a few of the panels had a bow, maybe 1/8" or lil better.  I did get the jointer squared up, but man you guys that do this on a regular basis, hats off to you!  brutal, but fun,  thanks again,

Just to keep on track, I take it from this post that cup wasn't a problem, and it was bow from the stickering used.
that would be correct beenthere, very subtle, but there,  it reminded me of grinding large flat stock and needing shims to take out the warp. the planer which I know just flattens out like a magnetic chuck then the stock releases back to where is was, just thinner.  I will get this figured out, and have some kindling as well ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

I believe that the most indispensable tool in a woodworking shop is the jointer.  I sell lots of wood to people that do not have the proper tools to make what they are trying to make.  I always advise them, and many times I take their wood into my shop and joint it flat then plane it.  It turns out to be more of a public service as I do not usually recover my time and costs. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

I never knew this, and glad to know now, thanks guys,  lots to learn when dealing with wood,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

jamesamd

Quote from: WDH on February 15, 2015, 08:20:01 PM
I believe that the most indispensable tool in a woodworking shop is the jointer.  I sell lots of wood to people that do not have the proper tools to make what they are trying to make.  I always advise them, and many times I take their wood into my shop and joint it flat then plane it.  It turns out to be more of a public service as I do not usually recover my time and costs.

That's why, You have good business and repeat Customers Danny ;)

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

redbarnwoodworker

Jeff is absolutely correct, the jointer is the right tool to flatten your lumber. 

One other suggestion is to ruff cut your boards to length.  This lessens the amount you need to joint off to flatten.  Remember to leave a little extra length to trim and never cut shorter than the distance between your infeed and outfeed rollers of your planer. 

It is a good idea to sticker your planed boards for you have exposed fresh wood to the air.  Don't leave pieces laying flat on your bench.

Remember fatten before going to your planer

Project looks great.

Hope this helps.  {Enjoy your wood and work with it}

jueston

i just read an interesting article which quoted our very own @GeneWengert-WoodDoc saying that you should joint immediately before gluing and sand immediately before finishing.

the article was in woodworking network and said that even just a few days of sitting around the shop after jointing may lead to some of the wood fibers swelling, leading to an inferior glue joint.

i'd never heard this before, but makes perfect sense.

ely

I have started using my joiner to get a flat board on one side when they are six inches or less. If they are wide I just back the planer off so it barely pulls the board thru. That way it shaves a small amount off instead of pressing it flat. I am using this to make my drawer bottoms 3/8 thick.

Thank You Sponsors!