iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Preserving topped trees

Started by Jds20, December 19, 2019, 11:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jds20

We had some cottonwood trees "topped" and would like to preserve them as they stand, and prevent new shoots from sprouting from the top. 
Girdling the trees would probably stop the new shoots, but might weaken the trees over time. 
Any thoughts on how to keep them as they are (standing like telephone posts)?

Ron Scott

Why do you want to keep the topped trees standing like they are! For wildlife snag, den, or cavity trees, firewood,?? They will eventually weaken over time and fall.
~Ron

Jds20

Thanks for the quick post Ron. The primary reason to keep the trees as they are (if feasible) is that from our house view looking out windows, we see the trees below the topped level, so it looks more forested with them there. The other reason is to avoid spending more money to have the trees disposed of.

How long do you think it would take before they are in danger of falling over? 

Ljohnsaw

Jds20,
You don't say where your are (add info to your profile) but it looks cold with that white stuff on the ground.  Assuming they are dead or will be soon? (I've been told driving some copper nails in them will kill in time)  I'm assuming damp (humid) in the summer?  That cottonwood doesn't look all that large (no reference in picture for size - 20"?), so I'd venture a guess good for maybe a year or two - no more than three.  High winds ever in your area?  That could affect things with how tall they are.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jds20

Thanks John. I just updated my profile, thanks for that tip.
Yes, that is snow...we're in Michigan - very cold in the winter and hot/humid in the summer. 
The trunks are in the 16" to 20" range depending on the tree. And yes, we do get some high winds here. I don't see any signs of decay on these trees (yet).

I appreciate your thoughts!

TKehl

Girdling the tree will stop the new shoots as it will kill the trees.  They will stay upright until the trunk or roots rot then fall over.  Any buildings nearby?  A lot cheaper to dispose of some trees than rebuild a roof and water damage...

Best way to keep a tree with no leaves is to fabricate one out of metal.   :D

Best thought to keep them standing a while would be adding guy wires like an antenna tower.   ;)  ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Ron Scott

The trees will become a severe safety hazard and a risk to any structures, humans, or other trees nearby in time as mentioned. They normally will not last long in your area of Michigan's diverse wind and weather. A few years at best, but one never knows for sure when they will alternately fall "out of the blue".

~Ron

Southside

Quote from: Ron Scott on December 20, 2019, 12:52:24 PMbut one never knows for sure when they will alternately fall "out of the blue"

Not to mention - good luck dealing with the spider web mess they could create hanging up on each other.  Be a bit like trying to dribble a foot ball in a mine field to safely get them cleaned up at that point.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Okefenokee_D

Wack em. Widowmakers in the making.

RPF2509

I would agree with the posts to get rid of them sooner than later.  You probably would have spent less if the tree crew had just dropped them from the start.  A chainsaw and a chipper would have cleaned it up in no time.  A climber or a bucket truck is a spendy way to start tree work.  Cottonwood won't stand long as it rots fairly quickly and you will have no control over when and where they fall.

Stuart Caruk

They are going to come down soon enough. You can either take them down now fairly cheaply and risk free, or wait to you build your house and then they are really exepnsive to take down. Your choice. 

FWIW, I see this all the time. When our neighbors moved in there were several alders just on his side of the property line. I had my equipment in there clearing mine out and offered to drop his for free as a good neighbor gesture, even clean up the debris with our brushcat. Nope, he loved them. I tired to explaining that tall alder is like a weed, they will grow back anyway... Fast forward 14 years and the alders are well over a 12 - 16" across with 26 of them leaning towards his house. The tops on most are dead and rotting and 4 of them overhang his fancy schmanzy house. Best quote from an arborist is $28k to drop them. It just gets more expensive over time.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Thank You Sponsors!