iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removing a stuck cylinder pin

Started by SPForesrty, November 16, 2014, 03:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPForesrty

I have a broken steering cylinder on my 1270 and can't seem to get the barrel end pin out to remove it from the machine.  Its mounted beside the front bogie so its hard to get a good swing at the pin.  Tried heating it and using a 20t bottle jack to push it out but no luck.  Dosed it in penetrating fluid and left it to "soak" until I go at it again tomorrow. Does anyone have advice on getting this pin to come out ? It had one bolt in the top ear of the pin holding it in place.  The back pin (on the rod end) came right out.  In fact, that happened on its own which is what got me into this mess.  Thanks

Jamie_C

If you can get the front tire on the bogie up in the air as high as possible will it give you more room to get at the pin ?

barbender

On the Ponsse machines, when that pin needs to come out they say "load it up and bring it to the shop" >:( I've never watched them get the pin out, but it involves jacking and heating if I remember right. Other times, they fall right out- I had a bushing break and told the Ponsse mechanic that was working on my machine. He said we would have to bring it to the shop, I said "why, the pin is loose?" "BS" he said, he looked at it and, huh, it is loose. Every once in a while you get lucky- good luck with yours ;)
Too many irons in the fire

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Northern Timber Harvesting

Broco torch, theres some pretty cool videos on you tube. If you had room to use one in there.

lopet

The way it sounds you need a lot more heat. The joke where the ear of cylinder is attached  needs to be glowing red and it will expand and gives the pin room to move.  Good luck.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

snowstorm

beenthere

Beg to differ.
Wasn't the experience I witnessed this past summer. Plenty of heat tried, and they were at wits end. I'd given them some BlueCreeper (when it was named Rust Reaper) and asked if they had tried it. Said no, hadn't thought of it for that big shaft.
The following day I stopped by, and the part was off. A big grin when he explained that he put some RR on it and that morning it slipped off pretty easily with some good taps.

But suspect there are limits to what the Blue Creeper will do. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bushmechanic

You need to heat it while the 20 ton jack has the pressure on it and as lopet said more heat is needed.

Ford_man

I have had some luck by putting a lot of pressure on the pin and then use an air chisel/hammer on the other side of the yoke. The vibration works . hope you get it out without taking it to a dealer. splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley

SPForesrty

After a day and a half we finally got the pin out. Ended up putting lots of heat to the top and bottom of the pin and then let it cool,  used the 20 t bottle jack to pop it free .  Expanding and contracting the pin itself must have freed it up.   Took the steering cylinder off my forwarder, which has the same part number, and now the harvester is going but the forwarder is parked.  Always something to do in this business.  Thanks for the responses.       

Ford_man

I'm glad to see you got it apart without giving your hard earned money yo an over priced repair shop.
splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley

Thank You Sponsors!