iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sudden Oak Issue

Started by Gebada22, July 03, 2023, 12:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gebada22

We are located in West MI and this oak tree suddenly has become impact almost 100% as you can see in the pictures.  We have had a really dry stretch with out first rains recently. I would appreciate any information on what this might be. My first concern is oak wilt.  Thank you for your help. Greg

Texas Ranger

Does not have typical indication of oak wilt, maybe Anthracnose.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doc henderson

green all around makes me think it is not specifically drought related.  anyone spraying in the area?  would prob. also see other collateral damage.  my burr oak gets spot near the end of summer, but does not impact the tree in the long term.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Gebada22

Thanks guys for the input. I appreciate the information. Greg

DMcCoy

I'm not familiar with your insects. First thought is red spider mite - late summer, no rain is ideal.  Smear test- place a white piece of paper just under the leaf and give the leaf a flick or two with your finger.  Wipe the paper with your finger and if you get any small red smears you have red spider mite. 
Do you get thrips there?  I'm really out of my element not knowing your insects.

Gebada22

DMcCoy thanks for the information. I am not sure either but I will look into it and do some research. Much appreciated. 

Thank You Sponsors!