iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

so I looked up farmers lung.  it is caused by many things including mold and spores, but is more of a hypersensitivity reaction like asthma.  so not a direct disease from a particular mold but increased IgE like asthma.  kind of like the cedar dust that can irritate anyone, but some folks get hypersensitive, and cannot be around it.  like an allergy!  if it goes on long enough, it can cause chronic and or severe lung disease.  In many diseases, it is our own immune system that causes the disease, but of course we would die without it.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Sedgehammer

I had read that farmers are less susceptible to lung cancer and lung type aliments along with less susceptible to virus';s of any type do to the lungs being used to animal virus and the overall higher bacterium levels ans related on a farm. Like small pox. farmers with cattle didn't get, as they are around cow pox. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

Don P

Not sure about that. In either WW1 or II the farm boys were much more susceptible. They hadn't been around as many herds of humans :D.

SwampDonkey

I know someone who had farmer's lung. It was from all the dust from thrashing plus the dry spring and wind, the air can be full of soil dust. It's awful riding a potato a planter in that soil dust. You're covered. No tractor cabs in those days. The planters they have now, no one rides on there.  Then even with cabs, farmers get busy and the cab filters never get changed.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sedgehammer

Here's some I found quick search, but not the one of those I had read it before.

https://www.mnn.com/health/allergies/blogs/why-growing-farm-can-protect-you-allergies-and-asthma
Health experts have known for years that kids who grow up on a farm have fewer incidences of allergies and asthma than city kids, but continued research is helping them better understand the connection between the immune system and microbes only found in that setting.

https://gizmodo.com/kids-raised-on-farms-are-healthier-in-two-important-way-1825655317
Scientists have long speculated that the “dirtier” the environment we grow up in—with lots of germs from different people and even animals—the better off our immune system and physical health ultimately will be. A new study published Monday in Proceedings of the National Academy of Science provides early evidence that a dirty world might even be better for our mental health, too.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120208132549.htm
The research, led by the University of Bristol's School of Veterinary Sciences, found that spending early life in a complex farm environment increased the number of regulatory T-lymphocytes, the cells that damp down the immune system and limit immune responses.

alan gage

Covid cases in our county (pop. 9200) have gone up a little to 39 cases.

Our neighboring county (pop. 17000) is going up much faster. They're up to 150+ cases now.

Some restaurants and entertainment over there have self-shut down but on the average more things are opening and people are being less cautious (in both counties). By all accounts the bars and restaurants are packing them in. Summer tourism is their big season.

Graphs show that nearly 80% of the cases in our two counties are 18-60 year olds. 

I asked a friend of mine who works at the hospital in town how they were doing and she said she doesn't really know. It's not her department and anyone that gets seriously ill from it is shipped out. They don't appear to be under duress at this point anyway. Haven't heard anything about the hospital in the neighboring county.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Ljohnsaw

Must have been in the tin-hat thread where I mentioned it - my blood was tested for antibodies the last time I donated (June 1).  I thought for sure I had it back in February - guess it was just the regular flu that my yearly shot didn't prevent or lessen much.  Anyhow, assuming the test is accurate, it says I was negative back then.  I donated again today but don't know if they will check each time.  The web site says it takes 1 to 2 weeks to get the results back.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Sedgehammer

We're trying to schedule a testing appointment. Her clinic doesn't want her to go during work hours. They didn't say that directly, but that's how she took it when she talked to them.

stavebuyer

Read a blurb that there was an article published in the NEJM indicating that people with Type A blood were more prone to serious Covid-19 reactions than people with Type O. Any substance?

doc henderson

some of that was discussed in the med. community, but I have not looked at the study yet. I will chime in when I know something. 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

nativewolf

Quote from: Sedgehammer on June 15, 2020, 12:24:57 PM
I had read that farmers are less susceptible to lung cancer and lung type aliments along with less susceptible to virus';s of any type do to the lungs being used to animal virus and the overall higher bacterium levels ans related on a farm. Like small pox. farmers with cattle didn't get, as they are around cow pox.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5437486/
I was sort of surprised when you said that because everything I know says farmers are at elevated risks.  Controlling for smoking is hard, smoking is the single greatest impact on lung cancer, not only direct but also it scars the lungs and makes susceptible for other forms of harm.  Little know fact that radon related cancer was only found in smokers in the uranium mines.  But nearly all smokers.   
Anyhow, this population study says farmers are at slightly elevated risks for lung cancer and that makes sense considering all the pesticides and chemicals farmers use on a daily basis (paints, oils, solvents, etc etc).  
Liking Walnut

SwampDonkey

Was just watching a podcast with Bret Weinstein on COVID-19, and it is interesting to hear his reasoning on why this could be from a lab. There apparently are indicators along with how these things evolve to suggest it was manipulated in a lab. He doesn't just come out and say is from a lab, but explains why it is likely.

Bret Weinstein: Why COVID-19 May Have Leaked from a Lab - YouTube

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Walnut Beast

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 19, 2020, 02:52:39 AM
Was just watching a podcast with Bret Weinstein on COVID-19, and it is interesting to hear his reasoning on why this could be from a lab. There apparently are indicators along with how these things evolve to suggest it was manipulated in a lab. He doesn't just come out and say is from a lab, but explains why it is likely.

Bret Weinstein: Why COVID-19 May Have Leaked from a Lab - YouTube
It's absolutely from a lab

Ianab

Coming "From a Lab" isn't the same as "Created in a Lab". 

From what I can see, the Lab in question WAS actively studying viruses (Corona) from Bats, to see if they were a danger to humans. Did one of their study samples get loose? Or were the local bats carrying the infection already and infected some local cave explorer ?  Don't know, and it's VERY unlikely we ever will because the exact origins of the disease are unknown. Unless you can find "Patient Zero" and figure out how they were infected you can only guess. 

The warnings about new viruses have been well known. Recent previous infections have come from birds / pigs / camels. But they died out before becoming Pandemic. 

NZ is back to 3 active cases, which was basically expected as people are still flying in from infected countries. The BIG stuff-up was letting a couple of folks out of isolation early, without testing, so they could attend a funeral. Turns out they were infected.  They are now isolated, and general life goes on as normal, as long as they haven't passed it on.  ::)  Political fallout from the that stuff-up is continuing. A Senior Air Force Officer has been put in charge of the quarantine operation, so hopefully he will be able to shake it into line. It's been clarified that the isolation for incoming people IS legal, and up to 6 months in jail for breaking it. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Ianab on June 19, 2020, 05:56:33 AM
Coming "From a Lab" isn't the same as "Created in a Lab".

Correct, but since it was manipulated in a lab for gain of function......

Sedgehammer

Quote from: stavebuyer on June 18, 2020, 07:17:22 PM
Read a blurb that there was an article published in the NEJM indicating that people with Type A blood were more prone to serious Covid-19 reactions than people with Type O. Any substance?
That's an affirmative ghost rider. 

lazyflee

Doc Henderson, I have read some articles about cases spiking but death rates lowering. Some say it's because of better treatments and some say because of more young people and less older people getting infected. Was just wondering what you are seeing in your area? Thanks, Nick

doc henderson

we are seeing a "rise" in cases.  we are just now testing anyone and everyone who needs/wants it.  so all the above can be factors, the biggest factor is we are testing lots more people.  we were never ever able to truly measure death rate, since all of the asymptomatic folks were staying home and not getting test. if we get a + case, they trace it back to sources, and those folks get tested.  so the prev. infection and death rate was "estimated" by extrapolating data.  We only had about 45 "confirmed" cases in our county.  If that is it, we are at great risk for an outbreak now.  more likely is that many more got it, and were asymptomatic and not tested, but now immune.  Time will tell.  plan for the worst, but hope for the best.  we are now about back up to our pre-covid daily visit number in our ED.

alan gage

Quote from: lazyflee on June 29, 2020, 12:40:26 AM
Doc Henderson, I have read some articles about cases spiking but death rates lowering. Some say it's because of better treatments and some say because of more young people and less older people getting infected. Was just wondering what you are seeing in your area? Thanks, Nick
In our area the majority of cases are 18-60 year olds, about 65-70% if I remember right.
Our county has jumped from the low 40's to mid 70's in the last week. The neighboring county went from about 200 to 238. Everyone expected their numbers to go up a lot more over this past week as a "Test Iowa" mobile testing station was brought into the area. It's hard to tell though since the population swells every summer from non-residents coming to their summer homes and vacationing. As I understand it if someone tests positive it's recorded in their county of residence. So if someone lives in county Y but tests positive in county X, where they have their summer home, it gets recorded in county Y.
Overall people seem less concerned about it than ever. We've locked the door to our office but are still letting people in one at a time. We meet them outside or in the shop when we can. If anything locking the door helps get the point across that we don't want them hanging around. Do your business and get out.
We don't want to get sick or pass along the virus but probably the biggest reason is knowing that if one of us gets it the entire shop will be shut down for at least two weeks. I actually wouldn't mind that since I have lots to do at home but that's a lot of money for the shop to lose and will force some of our customer's to find another shop. Most will return to us but you've got to expect that others won't. 
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

SwampDonkey

We had 5 cases because of the nursing home incident and no new cases now for 6 days. Two deaths at the home.

Sedgehammer

Daughter who is a respiratory therapist works at the 2nd largest hospital in the state. Their main ICU is full. Their overflow ICU filled up this weekend. They started a 3rd. Most patients are younger 30+, but nearly all had comorbidities. All but 2 are either hispanic or black. 

doc henderson

WV Sawmiller

My wife said she saw where our county got its second case Saturday. A couple weeks ago we got 41 cases last I heard as a church service in an adjoining county and I see where as many as 205 people have been exposed at a gym in a different adjoining county.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

LeeB

My daughter and her family is on watch. The SIL was exposed at work by the girl working right next to him. My son and his family have also been exposed via his sister in law and he is also quarantined waiting results from testing. Daughter lives near us in the next county over. We have had very low cases in our area. The son lives in Austin Texas. They have had a much higher incidence rate.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Sedgehammer

Thank You Sponsors!