iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Look'in out my back door

Started by Nebraska, September 30, 2019, 10:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraska

I stop and take pictures of the sunset when I can. Everyone is different and I am blessed to see them. I thought this one was especially good.

Crusarius

Looks like a calendar shot. Very nice.

samandothers

It is very nice with lake reflecting.  Very peaceful.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Nebraska

Thank you, yeah even when my world is a little upside down, it can be pretty special.

thecfarm

That first one one looks almost fake it is so good. Trouble is those only last for a minute unless you take a picture of it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

~Ron

Nebraska

Thankfully spring has gotten here and 

I was ready for it's coming.  Top picture is Saturday nights sunset.

Last night by the pond.

Last night practicing appropriate social distancing ;). I got about 20 minutes more of the fire and the local PA called with a severely bloated feeder calf(over consumption of ground ear corn)... so I cut it short and went and worked on his calf but it was a dandy first fire of the season.

Crusarius

Southside

Is there a jealous emoticon somewhere? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

Yes spring has sprung here!  What is that white stuff around there?  Enjoy your peace and solitude.  

Nebraska

@WDH That song absolutely goes through my head from time to time.  8)  I am a blessed and fortunate individual.
We are supposed to get snow/rain mix on Easter so farming will get slowed down for 7 weeks. So the saying goes...

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Skip

Nebraska

Not in my frame of reference, I have the album...... ::) ok well maybe dates us a little.

Nebraska

Going

going!

Gone!

So long 2020.

I caught the sunset today. I went out to the spot I take pictures from and prayed that 2021 is better for all of us. Hoping for a much better year and thankful to be here. Happy New Year to all.

WDH

Walnut Beast

Absolutely beautiful and well put 🙏

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sawguy21

X2! This is definitely a year to put in the rear view mirror. Well, except for the lovely lady that entered my life. 8)

samandothers

That is a great set of pictures even without the reference to the old year.  

I must admit 2020 had some good things about it.  We started a house on or land in Va.  We have a new 5 month old grandson and a blessed with our health and family.  Yes it has had its challenges too and will not go there.  

Nebraska

@sawguy21 Ladyfriend?? 8) 8) Now I probably don't see everything you post but I sure can't remember you mentioning  this before.  smiley_clapping Now thats good news to(...   start....I swear I wrote this word earlier ;)) this year off!

sawguy21

You don't think I tell you everything do you? :D Thank you, she is the one bright spot in an otherwise challenging year.

Tacotodd

@sawguy21  , I also just love the few little bright spots that we've all seemed to have had in an otherwise bleak year!

Happy New Year 2021,  HERE WE COME! But watch out when we all get there folks. In whatever "there" might be!
Trying harder everyday.

Nebraska

<br
I am truly blessed. Even when I'm not sure which end is up..... :)

Nebraska

<br

It was as close to perfect this evening outdoors as I will get on this side of heaven.

doc henderson

pic at Gabe's house to show they got the lumber stickered.  He is former Airforce, as is his wife.  A charge nurse in the ED.  He and his son John came and we milled 3 elm logs.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

A good day spent by all. Was nice here to, but more cloudy, still lots of sun shining.  Got all the garden rows covered in floating fabric and the main garden fenced in early this morning, including a run to the woodlot to make 8 more posts, and was home for Breakfast at 8:00 am. :)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

Actually, this is more like looking in my back door. For several years this old doe has bedded down in this spot about 125 yards behind my house. It is in a deep draw with a spring in the bank that we have tapped into to water the livestock. I dragged a locust log across the draw several years ago as a dam and it has built up into a small flat plateau this deer likes to lay on. It is cool and deep shade and water right there if she wanted it. I am sure she has a fawn nearby but I did not see it. I took this picture from an ATV trail about 40 yards above her. She never even got up when I stopped and took her picture. 

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

Today I spotted this turkey hen about 10 yards behind my backyard fence. She has a sibling or friend about 50 yards further up the hill out of the picture. It had rained and they were turning over bark from my sawing and firewood to get the worms on the surface.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

The 4 baby bluebirds have already this raised in and left this box a few weeks ago or the mom and dad would be sending this young lady packing!

I stepped out on the front porch to let Sampson inside and spotted this young doe about 40 yards away on the hillside in my pasture. She was munching happily on an assortment of weeds I probably should have already weedeaten down.

I think this is the same doe my wife saw out the bathroom window yesterday with her fawn following her. In this picture she seems to have the fawn safely parked back at the nursery somewhere. She raised her head, looked behind her and trotted off. A few seconds latter, Trigger, our big palomino horse walked down this same trail she is standing in.

Sights like this are a daily occurrence here in rural WV.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

I was scoping out the back/bathroom window this afternoon and watched this hawk swoop in and light in this tree. I think it is a Cooper's hawk as they are common here and come down to catch chipmunks and squirrels. There are blackheart cherries with ripe fruit all around him and the squirrels are feasting on them.

If you look above the left side of the gate and slightly to the right and up you can see the hawk in the distance. I am not sure if the bluebirds are raising a clutch in that box this year. They did last year. There is a female bluebird sitting on the cable line at the very left edge of the picture but the trees are obscuring the view of her. My wife saw them going in and out of the box 2 days ago.  I was hoping to show the bluebird and the hawk in the same shot. My wife watched our resident doe with her fawn under the big grape vine in the walnut on the right side of the picture.
Howard Green

thecfarm

I've had hawks land on the bluebird house a few times.  >:(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Nebraska

Just some hay pictures 

Makes me feel good to have it down. It's even better when the bales are done and off of the field.. :)

Old Greenhorn

Man I swear I can smell that field! :D :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Dakota

View from the cabin deck.

Dave Rinker

Nebraska

Southside

Not mine, but I get to enjoy it for a while.  

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

I think I can see you from here, Jim. :) :) :)

Texas Ranger

Game camera picking up deer in the back yard in the wee hours, wife's plants taking a beating, but, one of the country things.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Nebraska

Ahhh Kansas.   ;)  Wheat harvest and 4th of July. Went hand in hand 80 miles to the North of there. :)

Wlmedley

Why I can't keep birdseed in my feeders 

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Southside

For those who think Kansas is flat, the pictures don't do it justice. Significant pucker factor working these hills. I bet that's 75-100' to the bottom, had around 21,000 lbs of wheat in the bin each time it's full and the bottom of the bin is over 6' in the air. Makes a grapple skidder feel like a toy. 

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

nice!  where were you and do you have pics of the equipment?  

Walnut Beast

Southside

Between Hill City and Colby, little town called Penokee. Here is the combine I have been running. 

Crossed over a Badger hole today, next pass by I saw a not so happy Badger cleaning out the dirt I had knocked into his den. I left him your card Doc.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Not much wheat around here.
Thanks for the pictures.

Nebraska

I got given another gift of a sunset while I was working on my mill this evening.

I said thank you...

newoodguy78

Menagerie-Manor

It's out my back door I promise.

If you come to a fork in the road take it.....

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

thecfarm

I bet neither of them pictures last long.  :(

Nebraska

Menagerie that is really sweet. The good Lord throws many extremely beautiful moments at all of us. I am terribly guilty of being too self absorbed  many times to appreciate them when they come.  I screwed up a rivnut mounting my new log scale mount  on the mill, I had to run back up to the house and get another one.  On the way back down the hill I had the oh shoot moment. I stopped took some pictures  and remembered to say thank you for the present. The mill could wait a minute.

Nebraska

Not a sunset picture from my back door, just another interesting day found a patient that is slower than I am.  At least that's what the girls told me....

Old Greenhorn

Geez Pat, I am scrolling down and see your face, the blue scrubs, and the hands, and for a second I thought your were Doc Henderson. :D Under the right conditions, you guys look similar. But I don't think Doc has any 3 toed sloths for patients. Not even sure they have any in KS and I am wondering how one made it to NE? :D ;D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

doc henderson

No Tom, not for patients, just for friends!   :snowball:   :)

Stephen1

I spent years appreciating sunsets and sunrises working on the Railroad. I was always amazed at a lot other guys I worked with that sluffed off the beauty of the minute. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

Doc did not have any three-toed patients before surgery but what about afterwards? :D :D
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Howard, that's a question you would have to discuss with Doc, but I am sure HIPPA would put a crimp in the discussion.
 Doc, I have more than three toes (on each foot), so I am sure you can't be talking about me.  I have worked with a lot of guys that exhibit sloth like capabilities. However, none of those guys were anywhere near as cute as that little fella snuggled in Nebraska's arm with his little stuffed buddy.

SwampDonkey

I thought it was Jim King resurrected. Only he befriended the jungle monkeys in the Amazon. Yes, I do mean monkeys. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nebraska

Oh I had  a monkey in the room too. Dexter came along as well. The actual patient was a white (more Carmel colored) Raccoon who got neutered.  Jody had recently gotten the sloth and brought it along to show. The towel was necessary as those dudes have some serious claws for gripping trees. I think he is 3 or 4 months old, I can't remember exactly as I was in and out of the room doing other things.

The other picture the girls took.

Nebraska

Here's the monkey pictures

Owner... she's got a monkey on her back.... :D

Dr Allyssa....hey want to share that apple....

I have a very interesting job some days.  Needless to say work slows way down when the animal show comes to the clinic...

barbender

That first monkey looks like he could be a criminal😁
Too many irons in the fire

Nebraska

Oh he is...cupboard larceny, remote control destruction just general disorderly conduct by what I'm told... 

WV Sawmiller

Our home town vet where I grew up had an office just across the state line in Flomaton Ala. I came in one day and he had all his pictures and diplomas and such down and was scrubbing the walls and cussing a blue streak. Seems someone came in with a monkey with the runs and it got loose and "painted" his whole office. He was not a happy camper!
Howard Green

Magicman

A family here once owned a Chimp (I think because I don't know monkeys) who was a great helper on the farm doing odd chores.  It was decided that Cedo needed "fixing" so off to the Vet they went. 

After he recovered they could NOT travel down the street toward the Vet's clinic.  He would go berserk/crazy.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Do you blame him? Chimps and gorillas are very smart. You can look into their eyes and see the reasoning going on.

I had a close friend in Albany Ga who visited a local park that had a small zoo of sorts with a bunch of monkeys that were always begging for treats. When someone would throw them a piece of candy or peanut or such the lucky monkey would grab it and run around the cage and swallow it before the others could steal it from him. My buddy walked in with one of those Atomic fireball cinnamon balls. He had it in his mouth to get the candy coating off then tossed it to the monkeys. The monkey who grabbed it ran to the corner and swallowed it right down. Jack said for years after that if he walked past that cage that monkey would see him and start screaming running around the cage. He said that monkey never forgot his face or that fireball! :D
Howard Green

Nebraska

I had my head buried in my project not really paying attention to my surroundings and a little voice said maybe I should look up.... :)

Nebraska

I played Marlin Perkins yesterday, 3 fallow deer bucks tuberculosis tested for sale to a different breeder. They were darted with a sedative, tattooed and tested, then a reversal agent administered and 10 minutes later they were up and gone, looking for the does. First time for everything, it was an interesting (very blessed) day yesterday. The process went smoother than I imagined. Owner is a retired pilot, interesting character.

Sunrise light on the pond the other morning. 

beenthere

With these deer, is there concern for CWD in the deer? Some places, such as Wisconsin, the Chronic Wasting Disease has become a huge concern and thought to have been introduced to Wisconsin through transfer of deer between breeders. Don't know if they have a test that can be administered to live animals. Best I know, the disease is only transferred among the Cervidae family (elk, deer, moose). 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rusticretreater

In Virginia hunters are required to take their deer to a testing station so yes there is a test for it.  If it is a big concern in your area as you have said, there should be something online about it.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

beenthere

We have testing stations, but my question pertains to a "live" animal test. i.e. like Nebraska taking test samples for tuberculosis from a live animal. 

Our tests are after the cervid is dead and the lymph nodes in the neck behind the ears are removed for the lab test.

Sampling for chronic wasting disease (CWD) | | Wisconsin DNR 
south central Wisconsin

doc henderson

Nebraska

Give me a couple days I will see if I can find an answer regarding the live cwd testing. It's by happenstance this came about.  The deer owner was in Veterinary school but quit after the 1st year to become a pilot. He was a classmate to a recently retired Veterinarian in our practice. The area state Veterinarian called me to do the testing and I knew of the owner but had never met him. I didn't know he had been raising fallow deer since the 80's.  

Thank You Sponsors!