iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Food Plots!

Started by TroyC, August 29, 2020, 09:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

On the freezing it's going to be a pretty hard freeze. Plus the ground temperatures hold for quite sometime. It stays green after the hard freeze also. My buddy from Iowa came and picked up several bags and said he really likes it for a cover crop planted with your chicory and clover that will come up in the spring. Another good thing to do is frost seeding late winter over the snow on your existing plots to help boost them a little. 

Walnut Beast

Jeff if you plant it to early in the fall it can head out. You can mow it or the deer will be mowing it. Usually when you plant it later it's not going to get to the heading out stage and is going to be nice and lush and stay green after the hardest freeze and that's where these oats shine for fall and late winter

newoodguy78

Frost seeding is a very effective way to get early season food plots/ cover crops in especially for those without access to tillage tools and equipment. Had great success with clover using this method. 
The natural freeze thaw action creates the seed to soil contact. Lets Mother Nature do most of the work. 

Jeff

View from a blind over looking new plot areas.  I've doing more mulching another quarter mile back hopefully next week

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TroyC

In central Georgia I broadcast about 100 lbs/acre, screen and roll. I use Plotspike. Tried Coker and saw Plotspike does a lot better. Think I paid 25.00/50 lbs last year for Plotspike. I add a few pounds of clover and I get good results. 

TroyC

Quote from: Jeff on August 12, 2022, 07:22:32 PM
So do they come back up first for forage in the spring in harsh winter areas like winter rye does?
Plotspike last me thru the winter but not much regernerates. I replant every September.

Walnut Beast

Food plots are going in today. Yesterday was a record at 100 temp.  Average 78 this time of year. 95 is the record and it should easily be broke today. 

Walnut Beast

Got my Buck Forage Oats drilled in several different areas. Here are a few areas. So we need some rain would be nice. Just sprayed some areas and drilled in. Nothing fancy with the seed bed this time. Some other pictures of my buddies food plots he planted earlier

of Buck Forage Oats and Chicory in Iowa. He said they have had a lot of rain.

Walnut Beast

His food plots were with a little disk that he puts in his hitch on his Kawasaki side by side and hand broadcasting. That's the results 

TroyC

Got my plots in last week in central Georgia. No rain so far, not good. Went with Coker oats this year, Plotspike went to 30.00 and fertilizer is 20.00, each 50 lbs. Cheaper to buy steak than feed deer now!

beenthere

This nice buck was into feeding on my meager planting of buck oats. Seemed to like them, more than other deer that ate a bit but moved on. 

https://rumble.com/v1m1z2s-september-29-2022.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

Need rain really bad! Would have a nice stand of Buck Forage Oats if we had some rain. None for a long time and nothing in the forecast anytime soon 

Jeff

This is in front of our primary blind. The cabin!! Clover mix with a brasica mix, the last week I over seeded with 100lbs winter rye. Lots of deer salad. Lots of deer poop. They found the corn down from the house too.

Walnut Beast

You lucky dogs! Beautiful food plots. You should feel pretty proud of the hard work getting them in and your shooting houses ready to go. Nice job! Now let's see some deer cam pictures! 

Walnut Beast

If we get some rain these oats would take off. This is where they are at. Absolutely bone dry with no rain. A picture of what it looked like with just roundup and then drilled. No mowing. You can see it coming up through the dead grass  

Walnut Beast

That's why you plant Buck Forage Oats! My buddy always by bow. This morning 

Magicman

I got all 5 of our food plots disked today and planted the Grandson's two plots.  I will plant and cover my three tomorrow. 

With the cold front on it's way I'm looking for it to be windy.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Didn't I just see those two guys on the Buck Forage Oats bags in a fishing tournament somewhere?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Must be a double 😂. Two big bucks in Iowa. Buck Forage 

TroyC

Well, those food plots sure look nice. Planted mine last month and no rain until couple days ago. ☹️

Magicman

I laid mine by today today and we have rain forecast for Tuesday & Wednesday.  Kinda late but it is what it is.  At least I should not have an army worm problem.

I have planted earlier and had tall grass the 1st of October and nothing toward the end.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Mine really neede some fertilizer, but that simply wasnt possible. Enough has come up that I have about 6 doe and or fawns living here. They should attract something I can put in the freezer. 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: TroyC on October 18, 2022, 10:07:04 AM
Well, those food plots sure look nice. Planted mine last month and no rain until couple days ago. ☹️
I hear you there!!! Me be didn't turn out as expected due to no rain.

Jeff you can be pretty proud of making and getting the food plot area started! 

Thank You Sponsors!