iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diseased Maple Trees

Started by jaythecelt, June 24, 2009, 11:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaythecelt

I've lost several maples over the last few years to some sort of disease.  It looks like the bark starts to separate and peel away and forms long vertical scars, the wood then rots underneath.  It doesn't appear to me to be from gypsy moths.   Is there some sort of maple blight going around?  Is there anything I can do to save some of these trees? I live in western PA.
-J

Poulan 2750
Stihl MS390
Stihl MS650

SwampDonkey

What species of maple? Is there sap weeping at the infection area?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jaythecelt

Red Maple ... I don't see any sap coming from the wounds.  Here's some pics:

-J

Poulan 2750
Stihl MS390
Stihl MS650

SwampDonkey

Looks like possible landscaping damage and root smothering by soil added and compacted on top of the old soil layer. The roots are very close to the surface and red maple is very susceptible to smothering. The leaves have a touch of anthracnose, which most red maple get every summer. Might have some ambrosia moving in on the weakened trees as well. My mother landscaped some white birch with brick, built up a couple feet high and 4 feet in radius. The trees sent roots up in the new mud, now I couldn't remove those bricks if I wanted because of the roots in that raised bed. She planted shade loving flowers and annuals in it, like begonia.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Phorester

The leaf problem is unrelated to what is killing the trees.  They could have anthracnose as Swamp said, but looks more like a leaf spot to me.  In any event, niether is a problem to be concerned about.  Both occur every year on lots of tree species.  They are more common in years with cool wet springs that keep the spores and bacteria alive longer as they are blown in the wind, allowing them to infect more leaves than in drier weather.

I think the big problem these trees have is some sort of canker disease.  This one looks like fusarium canker to me. This is a lethal disease (as you are finding out) that probably started in these trees many years ago.  Could be long-ago construction or landscaping damage as Swamp said that weakened the trees making them suceptible to this canker.  Could have been some other environmental stress.  Unfortunately there is no cure.

jaythecelt

Thanks - all of that makes sense.  We built here about 15 years ago and cleared many trees.  I was pretty selective about which trees I kept; and I kept a lot of the maples.  Every red maple in the cleared area is affected.  Its unfortunate that I can't do anything about it.

Glad to hear the spots are not much of a problem.

Thanks again, that was good information!
-J

Poulan 2750
Stihl MS390
Stihl MS650

Jeff

At times the leaf spot can be pretty dramatic. Here is a photo I took of a red maple's leaves from my front yard in 2001.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Jeff has eyes everywhere.  ;D

Phorester

Yep, JAY, if a tree is not killed outright, it usually takes from 5 - 10 years before symptoms appear from construction damage.  That puts it about right for your trees.

For future reference, most construction damage to trees is actually root damage ,either tearing them up or soil compaction over them.  Any trees wanted for landscape specimens should have no disturbance underneath the branch spread.  No grading, filling, trenches, storing construction materiels, parking vehicles underneath the tree, etc.  Best way to protect them is to put up a snow fence around the dripline before any construction starts and tell everybody to keep out.  Put that in the contract with the builder.

Prizl tha Chizl

We've got a half dozen or so sugar maple that have cankers like this one.
I'm wondering if it's the fusarium canker mentioned above. I'm a little concerned as it has spread to a couple trees in a small sugar bush I planted here 8 years ago.
We're SW Wisconsin, on the south side of the ridge. I go over the hill and can't seem to find any of it over there, (Maple Hollow Road.)
Anything I can do?
"The Woods Is My Church"

Thank You Sponsors!