iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

National Hardwood Lumber Association Inspectors?

Started by SkidrowJoe, April 03, 2006, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkidrowJoe

Did any of you guys or girls go to the NHLA Inspection school?  I was thinking about it and wondered if there are any alumni on the site.
The stumps of today are the ceilings of tomorrow.

ElectricAl

InspectorWoody is a NHLA Lumber Grader.

His time on the FF is limited so the best way to ask him a question is through a PM.

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

inspectorwoody

Greetings SkidrowJoe

I am a graduate of the 136th class of the NHLA inspection school! What a great experience. You have to be very dedicated if you want to make it through the 14 weeks. The instructors are great and are willing to take as much time with you as you need if they see you are putting forth a solid effort.

Memphis is also a great city to cut loose in for your short stay! Plenty of stuff to do and see. Beale Street, Peabody Hotel (Famous for the ducks!), Tower Records, Graceland and the list goes on.

Graduating from the NHLA made me so proud...I felt like I had accomplished more than some of those who go to college for four years. You have to want to inspect lumber period...this is not something to do just to do. I guess another thing that helped drive me was the fact my company paid for it and I had a contract to fulfill. I didn't want to let myself or anyone else down.

What has you thinking about going? Fill me in a little bit...I'll be more than happy to talk to you about the school, what its like after school etc. Any questions you have, I will try to answer and if I don't have the answer I'll find it!

Look forward to talking to you

Gadget

SkidrowJoe

I heard about it a few months ago in Forestry Class at Penn State and again today.  I was thinking of going to the summer session because log and lumber grading really interests me, more so than forest ecology etc.  I'm just a little worried about trying to keep pace with seasoned graders and people with more real world experience then me.

Thanks,
Steve
The stumps of today are the ceilings of tomorrow.

beenthere

The worry you have is probably the best asset you will have - no preconceived notions or habits that the school has to break you of.   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

I dindn't do the NHLA thing, but took the short course at Penn State a long time ago.  Its not nearly as good as doing the whole thing with NHLA, but it is something that anyone going into the hardwood industry should have.

The NHLA course would be good if you want to grade lumber.   It would also be handy for someone buying and selling lumber.

The short course would be good for sawyers, foresters, and log scalers.  Identifying defect on logs and translating them to the insides is a little different than lumber grading.  Some of those defects cut out, some don't. 

As for the other courses, eventually they all make sense.  Its only when you get out in the woods and piece it together.   ;)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Cedarman

I took the hardwood grading short course about 20 some years ago.  I didn't have a clue going in about grading.  I met good people taking the course and was worth every penny.  Anyone sawing must have grading knowledge or they will lose a lot of money sawing.  The short course is a good way to do it.  If you take the course in Memphis, then you will have a marketable skill that is available to you whenever you need it.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

inspectorwoody

Don't worry about keeping pace...Experience is the best teacher in the inspection world. I worked off of packs for a while before moving to the green chain. Even when I moved to the chain I wasn't able to keep up. It takes a great deal of time and patients...It will get frustrating but you have to keep going. I'll admitt I wanted to give up so many times...even while at school but now I look back than and laugh.  :)

If it is a strong interest of yours, I strongly encourage you to go. You meet great people etc. I would strongly suggest that once you graduate from the school you get your hind end in a sawmill or working with a seasoned inspector other wise everything you just learned will be lost...If you don't use it, you lose it!  ;) They will teach you from there.

And as many have said this will open the door for you in so many ways. I am able to buy/sell lumber, able to saw properly, edge properly and end trim. Your options are endless.

Like I said any questions etc. feel free to ask.

Gadget

Thank You Sponsors!