iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started cutting firewood...Now how do I stack logs?!?!

Started by FTD, May 29, 2009, 11:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrnero

Quote from: FTD on May 29, 2009, 11:29:08 AM
I decided on a Nichols Log Arch trailer instead of a traditional log arch.  I think I made the right choice for what I am doing.  Especially, when factoring the purchase cost difference. Having 25 feet of cable to pull logs out of the brush is really nice as well.  I will eventually change to 50 feet.  The manual winch model is nice for keeping it simple.  I pulled about 3 cords of wood with really minimal impact to the ground.  I was culling out old Poplar to leave room for the more desirable species.  The largest log I was able to haul (read as limit of man and machine) was a 25'x20"x17" log.  The ground was nice and dry an everything pulled nice.  I have chains but need to address a clearance issue between tire and trailing arm before installing.  It is a 400cc ATV making about 30 hp.  Only burned less than 1 gal of fuel in the machine.  Longest skid is 1/8 mile at this point.

Any suggestions on how I can clean up the landing by stacking the logs without a grapple or hoist?  I have been trying to pile them when I pull in with some success, but there must be a better way...
Try a fork lift, that works good for me.

Thank You Sponsors!