iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moose ... uh...biology ?

Started by sprucebunny, April 21, 2007, 05:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

I have to apoligize for not having a picture ::)

Riding around in the woods today, we found a pile of poo. Well... not a pile but two softball size samples !!! We had no idea what left it  :o Sasquatch ? ;D
We went on further and found another sample surrounded by ordinary moose pellets. Then a third!

What is going on ??? Is there something moose eat and have a different shaped scat ?
The trees are only just beginning to bud and there is no spring growth like grass. The woods are still 80% snow covered.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

I found a big pile of moose poop out the back yard today as well. Brave buggers. Anyone for moose burgers smoked on a grill?  ;D

Joan, maybe the moosie ate something he shouldn't have and got the runs.  Look kind of like cow pie???

Go take a stick........erm never mind.  ;D :D :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Definately NOT the runs  :o Softball size .

I had a stick .......

SwampDonkey

Glad I'm far enough away not to get hit.....erm by the stick.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Maybe he ate sumpthin that didn't agree with him. ;D

SwampDonkey

Maybe Joan has been chasing someone's horse in the bush. ;)

sprucebunny

If it was a horse, it was a Clydesdale !!

Fla._Deadheader

Nice pic of all them ear rings.  8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sprucebunny

I found this link that mentions large droppings in relation to a change in diet.

Alaskan wildlife site

That's what puzzles me .... spring has not sprung (except for the temperature ) so the moose's diet must have changed by choice or relocation. They also don't mention the huge difference in size.

Mooseherder

Talk about the ultimate Bio-Fuel. :D
Invent the Moose Pellet Stove and install it a couple hundred feet downwind.;D

fuzzybear

Moose will get those softball size droppings from eating straw and hay. It is VERY hard on their digestive system. I have to watch the calves around here they try to come in and eat the hay out of the barn.  When they are that size it can literaly block them up and they die from it.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

sprucebunny

Thanks, fuzzybear ! I thought it might be something like that. These were about a half of a mile from a hay field that they left some bales in.

Not enough roughage :D

moosehunter

We brought home some of those moose balls from Maine and dipped them in shelack clear stuff to seal them and used them for decorations. Great conversation starters ;D

I hope it ain't illegal to transport moose dropping across state lines!

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

pappy

moosehunter did ya try making a pair of these fer ya misses  :D

http://www.tellmewhereonearth.com/Web%20Pages/Weirdest/Weirdest%20Photos/W308-1.JPG

I don't believe it's "illegal to transport moose dropping across state lines" ya can have all the moose poop ya can haul... I suggest ya bring the pickup next trip though. ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

moosehunter

No earings, but I do have some hanging from my tin cup that i use to drink adult bevarages while camping.

Norm

Note to self...bring my own cup if camping with moosehunter. :D

beenthere

Ya, der like Norm said.
We do need a pic of dat cup tho.... ::) ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sprucebunny

I'll send a free do-it-yourself-kit to the person who guesses correctly, how many MH has hangin' from dat cup ;D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Walmart sells moose marbles by the brown paper sack. Gotta buy some just to prove it.  ;D 8)

Furby

There is a moose dropping contest some place in Alaska each year. ;D

clif

I think it is Talkeetna, but I am not sure.  A few years ago one of the animal rights groups was inquiring about just how high the moose were being dropped from! ::)
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

moosehunter

I am trying to find the cup. It was made in 1999 by the wife of the friend that went moose hunting with me in 1998. I used every summer untill last year. Can't find it. My bride will find it. She finds everything that I lose. As a matter-of-fact she finds stuff I didn't even know I lost!

TW

Sprucebunny

Around here too the moose does sometimes leave that kind of big [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better]. Nothing uncommon with that. Now and then there are plenty of people telling that they have found bear [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better]. Then they stay at home rattling teeth while we others pick all the berries. (Wild berries are legal for everybody to pick)

SwampDonkey

Do I win the contest?  ;D  8)

Furby

Was your # the closest to the center ???
:D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!