iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thanks, but No thankyou moments

Started by plowboyswr, May 26, 2016, 11:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortlogger

Most of the logs I saw are gimme trees because of the lack of local markets in my area if you have less than 8 or 10 loads of tree length you can't get a logger to move his equipment to your place . We had a tornado in March and I'm covered up in logs now . My neighbor had about 5 loads of logs and 2 loads of pulpwood down and couldn't get anyone to cut it so he decked it all and gave away to anyone that would get it and he still had a couple loads piled up .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

WV Sawmiller

Sealark,

I had a similar incident 4 years ago the summer when we had freak storms come through the area with tornado force winds. Power was out here at our house for 11 days.

That was before I had my mill but I had friends called and asked for help so I took my chainsaw to their house and cut a couple of big pines that had fallen across their drive blocking their access. We'd cut the logs and pull them parallel to the drive with my P/U. One tree likely had a 10-12 ft root ball. I never even thought about it till I cut the tree about 6' above the base and it stood right back up as pretty as you please. Fortunately nobody was hurt. I wish we'd had a video of it. It was quite spectacular.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

Most times storm down trees are junk. They look good on the outside, but, the thing is all crack on the inside.
There was a man I knew bought storm down W Pine for .10 a BF and that was a deal if the logs were good . But 90+% where junk. He went out of business a year later.

I won't take them for free delivered :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 29, 2016, 08:06:56 PM
Most times storm down trees are junk. They look good on the outside, but, the thing is all crack on the inside.
D :D

Peter,

I can vouch for that. Same storm I mentioned before broke one fork of a huge white oak here at my place. When I got my mill and a bigger chainsaw I cut the last log up for lumber. Started with an 8' log over 42" diameter small end. Had to split it with my chainsaw to fit on the mill. A lot of effort to drag it to the mill site. When done sawing yield was about 100 bf because of all the cracks and shake involved. Was not worth the effort at all.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

plowboyswr

Had a neighbor stop by and looked at my pile of walnut lumber and made what he thought was an offer I couldn't refuse. He goes hey how bout a trade,  I smiled, sure what ya got?  How bout all the lumber you have cut for my log.  Okay what's so special bout your log?  Well, it's a black walnut 45'long and 30" on the small end. Oh really, how big on the butt? Gotta be 48" or better.  :D :D :D tell ya what why don't you just sell it and buy my lumber that's way too big for my little mill. Or tell ya what find some smaller stock and I will come mill them for ya. ;D
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

shortlogger

All this timber is fine it's just blew over I've sawed a bunch of it already . The only reason nobody will cut it is cause all the crews in my area are high volume and need enough wood to justify the cost of moving equipment .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

sandsawmill14

sealark you gotta watch those root balls worst i ever got into was 12 red oaks that a track hoe dug out he knew they were for lumber so he barely even scratched the bark no split or crack anywhere BUT he stacked the dang things like logs on a landing full tops on 1 end and root ball on the other :o :o took me most of a day to get that mess straightened out  >:( but i got about 5500 ft of logs and all the butt logs were perfectly clear and sound so it was still a good day being as i managed not to get a leg broke or something ;D i could not have got that many out in a day from the woods by myself :) but cutting those root balls off and the top ones 10 feet off the ground was scary for me :o all were in the 24-36" range :)  i went and looked at the logs before the were taken down and they were between the house ,shop,and barn so only one way they could fall and since he was going to have track hoe dig the stumps out anyway we just had him take them down is why the were dug up instead of cut with a saw :)

Quote from: shortlogger on May 29, 2016, 10:40:19 PM
All this timber is fine it's just blew over I've sawed a bunch of it already . The only reason nobody will cut it is cause all the crews in my area are high volume and need enough wood to justify the cost of moving equipment .
i have sawn alot of blow down timber to and it was all good lumber too but it also was all hardwood and i bet the softwoods might be different :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Thank You Sponsors!