iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brake Drum Forge...Rat-Rod style!

Started by Rooster, January 06, 2013, 12:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

I have a friend named Ted who is a fellow carpenter...but he is also a very good smithy (Changed to smith or blacksmith, per Dave S.  ;D).  He has made custom hold-down clamps for my timber-framed sawhorses, but more importantly...he has re-kindled my interest in "pounding hot iron".

So after doing a search on the FF on blacksmithing and forges, I learned that I could make my own forge made from a used brake drum...I did a Google search and found youtube videos and an informative forum called...
iforgeiron.com

I found out that guys use pieces and parts to make these forges for little or no money...so, here's my forge build.

I started out with a junk push  lawnmower and stripped off the blade and motor, saved the deck and the handle pieces.

I went down to the local auto mechanic and bought a used brake drums off of a truck for $2.
I bought 2" black pipe fitting for the airway and ash dump.

I flipped the mower deck upside-down and cut a larger opening so that the lip of the brake drum would keep it suspended without falling through.  I mounted the mower deck to an old portable table saw stand, and attached a pair of feed bin wheels using steel nail-stakes (for setting concrete forms) as axles.

I bought a 8" cast steel floor drain and added three bolts (to help keep it slightly elevated to allow more air) and used it in the bottom of the drum to allow the air to feed the fire without the charcoal falling down the pipe.

I am currently using a two speed hairdryer for my air source, but I might opt for an antique hand crank blower...if I can find one cheap.

I did notch the drum on opposite sides so that I can lay flat stock or rod across the fire, and I have a tractor exhaust cap (not pictured) on the lower pipe to control the air flow and ash dump.

Ted also recommended that I use fire brick to try and trap the heat and force it towards the center of the "fire-pit" to help conserve fuel and have better heats. The bricks are movable and really help.

Now I just have to figure out how to mount my post-vise to the side of it, and make some type of bracket to hang my tongs from.

Well, that's my portable "Rat-Rod" brake drum forge...stay tuned for future add-ons.

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Ljohnsaw

Awesome!  thats something i need to do 
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

beenthere

Nice build. Anxious to see how it works for you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

Magicman

That is very innovative.  I love something outta nothing.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Can't doing anything but smile when I see this......pretty good idea Rooster.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

I'm staying tuned to see some iron projects come out of your forge.  ;D I have all that kicking around accept for the table saw top. But in my metal pile I could build a table.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Dave Shepard

Very cool! Scrounging up whatever you have on hand and making something new out of it is an essential smithing skill. :) Oh, a smith is a blacksmith, a smithy is the building he works in. Wouldn't want your friend to get mad at you because he thought you think he looks like a small dimly lit building puffing coal smoke. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

Excellent post, Rooster.

Thanks for letting us share.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

chevytaHOE5674

That's neat. I like making something from a bunch of nothing parts. This looks like something I may have to try.

Larry

I have one of those brake drum forges.  It works just fine for what I do.  Mind has a little flap damper in the pipe right below the grate to refine airflow a bit.

I like your grate...might copy that. :)

I pick up charcoal after burning slabs for fuel.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Rooster

And...some more photos:

Here I used the upper handle for an adjustable long rest.

And these are two of the first projects...I learned that the best way to develop skills is to make tools for the forge, which then you can use to make more tools for the forge,...and so on, and so on...
Fire tender on the left and tongs on the right.

Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

Rooster

thecfarm

Clever little guy,ain't ya.  ;D  Where's your anvil? I have bookmarked this. I'm a thinking again.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Rooster

Check out Post #65
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61933.60.html

Before:

After:

Thanks for all the responses and encouragement!!!  More to come!

Rooster
Mike Rowe

Rooster

JohnW

You certainly have the knack, Rooster.  Don't mount your leg vise on the forge (and if that's not what you were thinking, kindly disregard this post).  Mount your leg vise near the forge.  You could use a log standing on end, exactly the right length, or if you're working on a dirt floor, sink a large post into the ground.  iforgeiron, probably has lots of information about mounting post vises, as you've probably noticed by now.

thecfarm

Rooster,I forgot about that thread and I posted in it too.  ::)

stumpy

Hey Craig, I just found this thread.  Call me next time you're gonna "play" at the forge. I'd like to come over and watch/help 8)
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Rooster

Stumpy,

You are always welcome at my place!!!  I just got the wood stove in the house fired up last week, and I want to make some fire place tools for it.  I'll call you and let you know.

Thanks again to everyone for their comments and questions.

Rooster
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Thank You Sponsors!