iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We call these WOOLYBEARS

Started by sprucebunny, April 22, 2005, 12:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Last fall some of you were talking about these guys but I can't find the thread.
I didn't see any in the fall but have found 2 of them this spring.
This guy was awfully tense ;D and wouldn't strech out for a profile shot.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Paschale

Hmm...is that some sort of hedgehog?   :P
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

tnlogger

looks like a wooly worm to me  if ya see them all black in august suposed to mean your in for a cold winter.
gene

Roxie

Good picture Sprucebunny!   :)  Woolybears are hard to work with cause they just curl up and wait a long time before they move again.  When we were young, we used to like to touch them and watch them ball up.   :D
Say when

sprucebunny

Thanks , Roxie......So do you call them 'woolybears' , too ??? I can't remember the other names that people used , they always been just woolybear caterpillers ;D
They sure do  wait a long time to straighten out again.....I was hoping for an action shot  :D
Maybe in the fall they are more relaxed . We used to like to touch them so they'd ball up , too ;D
Wonder what they turn into ???

Paschale

That's funny...I couldn't tell that that thing was so small!   :D  I guess it's not a hedgehog of some sort then...   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

ohsoloco

We call 'em woolybears too, Sprucebunny.  I saw a bunch of 'em in the fall.  The other day I was stacking some of the firewood I had split and found one on the ground.  I moved pretty quick to snatch it up before the pup saw it  :D  I was really surprised  the little guy uncoiled in my hand and crawled up my finger.  He really liked something on the tip of my finger  :-*

Faron

If you ever got one of those in your boot, It is an experience you will not soon forget. :( :(  Did it once, and am now REAL careful to shake out my boots if they have set outside.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

bitternut

Yes sprucebunny you got a woollybear. They are quite common in my area and I guess most of the country. Brought a few in the house this winter while bringing in firewood. At least I think thats how they got in the house. Here is a link that tells quite a bit about them.

http://www.almanac.com/preview2000/woollybears.html

sprucebunny

Thanks, bitternut
I just couldn't imagine that woolly bear is what everyone called them...
;D

UNCLEBUCK

I call them wooly bears . Never had figured out the cold hard winter facts when I see them in the fall . Its always a cold hard winter isnt it ?  ???
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

SwampDonkey

Same here Sprucebunny. I had two on my celler steps all winter and one on my garage floor, both areas are unheated. :D They came in late in November and curled up. :D

Here's Ron W's thread here started last September, eerrr 2 years ago. :)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=4111.0
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

That's the thread I was looking for !!!
Guess I must have spelled it wrong for the search  smiley_dunce

These guys must have anti freeze in them , too ;D

Thank You Sponsors!