iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wanna see A deer?

Started by Haytrader, January 20, 2008, 09:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haytrader

Mrs. Haytrader hollered at me this evening to come see a couple deer eating out of her bird feeder. I grabbed the camera and slipped behind her chair to get a picture through the wood blinds. I got three pics before they spooked due to the flash. None of those pics came out.
But.....the one came back and I used the zoom to get this pic.

We see them almost everyday but this is the first time I have seen them eat out of the bird feeder. Couldn't have been more than 12' from where TJ was sitting.
Haytrader

thecfarm

We have 2 red oak trees behind the houseabout 30 feet away.The deer have came right up to them the first few years we lived here.We've seen them eating grass by the sunroom too,about 10 feet away.I've seen tracks where they walked right by the garage.They don't seem to mind at all.My dog has woke us up in the night barking,probaly deer.I can never see anything.
We use to see them below the house in our field alot.Have not seen them at all this year.Them deer are pretty smart.Every time we would be close to a full moon,they would not come out.When ever we could see real good,they stayed in the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pigman

Poor deer, trying to get something to eat and someone keeps flashing a bright light in their eyes. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

PawNature

Yea I could bag me a buck ever year from my back porch with a bowie knife. That is if the Mrs.  would let me. She don't cotton to much bout puting her babies in the fridge.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Haytrader

I think my son has a sack of cake in the shop for his horse. I may just have to put some on the porch and see if I can get a close up.
;D
Haytrader

Stephen Alford

The deerly beloved ;D Stephen
logon

LeeB

We had a late freeze this year in April that wiped out the mast. I been feeding 10 does about 50# corn every 3-4 days all winter. They don't even flinch when I open the back door, however they will run from the peacocks. :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

semologger

Ive heard if you use all stock its better for the deer. Straight corn dont have all the nutrients the deer need. Just what i heard.

Semo

Norm

Don't let him fool you Semo, Lee's just fattening them up for the freezer. ;)

The deer back of our place prefer the soybean stubble over the corn. I was kind of surprised by that.

LeeB

Keeping them healthy for future consumption is my goal. I want to try to manage them and keep them healthy. I realize corn is probably not the best thing for them, not enough protien. What does every one else feed and what are price comparisons?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

zopi

I saw the best looking deer I have seen all year while ago...or most of it..we ate some the other day... ;D

deer out here are like like pigeons in town..all over the bloody place...at least they do not poop on the staues..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

semologger

A 50 lb bag of all stock is about he same as corn at the feed store. Well around deer season it was ;D

semo

thecfarm

We fed them for 3 winters and had a ball watching them come and go behind the house.Most at one time was 14.We fed them down below the house one year.Than we got our dog and that was it.We fed the deer cow grain at times.I forgot the name of the grain now.Had a ten in the name.I fed them some kind of deer grain at first that did not have molasses in it.The deer had a hard time finding it.They missed alot of it.Wasn't any smell to it.The grain store was out so I bought some cow grain with molasses in it.They did not miss a pellet of it.Than the following year the deer grain had molasses in it.I mixed it up with some day old bread from the bread store.They love the bread.I would go through 100 lbs in a week too.I use to feed them morning and night.We would throw our apples peelings,the inners of squash,carrots peelings.We asked a apple orchard to save bad apples for us.When they would take them out of stroage there would always be some bad ones.I really miss seeing them come up to eat.Was kinda odd when the deer could get thier own food that was it.They would not come and eat what I put out for them.Not even one would come.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Onthesauk

Sitting here at my computer early yesterday afternoon, noticed the cat in the window staring up the hill next to the house.  Leaned over to look and a little spotted fawn came poking out of the tree line.  By the time I got back with the camera the doe had come out too.  Little glare from the the flash on the window but still cute.

This morning the doe is out grazing on the other side of the house by herself.  Believe she has the fawn bedded down up the hillside.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Haytrader

Good picture.
You can bet that mamma has that baby hid.
Haytrader

treecyclers

Mr. Stephen-
I'm coming to visit during deer season, with my 300wsm and all the coolers I own!
Can I sit on your roof and fill both of our freezers?
I spect it would take about an hour......and 3-4 shots!
SD

Quote from: Stephen Alford on February 22, 2008, 06:46:18 PM
The deerly beloved ;D Stephen
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Stephen Alford

Hey Treecyclers  your welcome to sit on my roof anytime coolers or no but sadly there are no deer left here on the jewell  of the Atlantic.  :-\That pic was taken by a friend in southern  New brunswick. Stephen
logon

Larry

Our drive is most a quarter long on a grass ridge surrounded by forest.  Kathy walks to the road every morning to pick up the paper.  On her way back this morning she saw a little fork horn and started talking to it.  The deer started to follow her down the drive and than she saw a much bigger buck hanging back towards the timber...so she increased her pace.  Once in the house she excitedly told me the story so I went out to look...the fork horn was about 10' from the house with the bigger buck still hanging back about a 100'.  Couldn't count the points on the big buck but from the spread I would have to guess 10 points or much better.  I was gonna take a picture for you folks but realized it was still to dark to expect much of anything.

So that's my tale...and I'm sticking to it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!