iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using Elk Calls

Started by chowtownsfinest, November 12, 2013, 04:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chowtownsfinest

After an unsuccessful Elk hunt here in Eastern Oregon, I decided to try out some elk calls.  Picked up the Primos three pack of "sonic dome" mouth calls.  Watched some videos online and read tips, but I cannot get ANY sound out of them.  the best I've done is to hiss and spit on my computer screen.  Any helpful advice? 

chowtownsfinest

I have a pretty severe under-bite too.  Is that possibly what's making it so I literally can't get any sound out of it?  Should I give up and go with the bite style cow calls? 

beenthere

Had a similar frustrating experience when first getting the diaphragm mouth calls.

But kept at it and getting the call up in the roof (soft pallet area) of the mouth and the tongue just right, it soon worked. Lots of strange hisses and such in the meantime.

Some videos of using the calls might help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRXE3klyQOk
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

The "Sonic Dome" is what I use, but I rarely use anything other than a diaphragm mouth call for turkeys anyway.

Funny, this year in Colorado we were easing along and spotted movement.  It was 8 turkeys doing their thing, pecking along.  The elk cow call works well with turkeys.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

Watching videos, listening to tapes and especially having someone who can work a call show you the techniques will get you going. Then just keep practicing.
~Ron

terry f

I can't use the diaphragm calls, but my kids are great at it. I'd go with the biting cow call, that's what I use. Are you archery hunting, I don't think any call would do you any good during general season rifle, maybe a cow call could stop a spike long enough to get a shot, but I can't see calling one in at that time of year.

chowtownsfinest

Quote from: terry f on November 13, 2013, 05:01:38 PM
   I can't use the diaphragm calls, but my kids are great at it. I'd go with the biting cow call, that's what I use. Are you archery hunting, I don't think any call would do you any good during general season rifle, maybe a cow call could stop a spike long enough to get a shot, but I can't see calling one in at that time of year.

I was helping my girlfriend's father during archery season as well as my girlfriend during rifle season.  So a bit of both, and have gotten some mixed advice on using it during rifle season.  Possibly getting a spike to call back a locator was more or less the goal during rifle season,  not trying to call them in.  And all this was done in the Starkey unit not far from you over in Meacham.

terry f

Not far at all, Starkey starts at Kamela, about 7 miles away, I'm in Mount Emily unit, tough tag to get but huge bulls.

Thank You Sponsors!