iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stick to your ribs southern style breakfast

Started by petefrom bearswamp, March 27, 2021, 08:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Linda found these Jim Dandy grits in the local dollar store.
Do you have these in the south?

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

I dont eat them often but do enjoy them about once a month or so.
Not even feeling ill yet.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

I saw Ray's reaction and realized that he prefers a different brand:

He is a Quaker man but Linda did OK with the Jim Dandy. :)

That Breakfast looks good, and yes we have Jim Dandy.  Our preference is yellow instead of white grits but restaurants only serve white.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

And my personal gift to you, my friend.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

Mr. Davis SIR:
I'm glad to see you are still getting some mileage from the pictures I sent you.
I told you I would deliver and I done dooded it.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Jeff

Steve Crook

Maybe you just didn't incinerate it long enough

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Both breakfast pictures are the best ingredients for breakfast.

sawguy21

My cholesterol just went up 15 points looking at that. I won't eat the stuff.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

Huh, I knew them grits was bad for ya, but just looking at them causes that?

sawguy21

It's the fake meat Ray. :D Mom would put it in my sandwiches, neighbours dog got it on the way to school. I ate the bread and mustard.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

WDH

Fried spam is tasty, but probably not too good for you, like a lot of things.  

Pete, do you mash those runny yolk eggs and swirl them into the grits?  That is a good way to do it.  Some of us down South ate grits because we grew up poor and we ate them because that is what we had.  

Most other people would have, too.  But there are a few (at least one Northern Type that I know of) that would have just starved. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

There were many times when grits and mush (cooked cornmeal) was the only thing between us and hungry.  :-\

Tacotodd

You either eat what you're given, or go hungry. BUT, to be a kid again!
Trying harder everyday.

thecfarm

We ate corn up here. Could not afford the machinery to grind it.  :D 
The Farm kept food on our table. Lots of veggies.  :'(

stavebuyer

Spam was a Yankee developed product. Jeff's version appears dry. The southern adaptation and upgrade would include frying the spam in bacon grease; thereby increasing its appeal to nearly the level of our native fried bologna. Of course neither rise to the level of the consummate breakfast treat of Country Ham :D

petefrom bearswamp

Danny, didnt mix the yolk into the grits, just dabbed my toast into them.
Grits, just butter, salt and pepper.
Mom used to bake spam just like a ham, with a glaze and cloves stuck into it.
Also sandwiches.
I first had fried baloney in Newfoundland while moose hunting, not a favorite of mine.
I think I like Bob's Red Mill polenta AKA grits best
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

Okay, time to chime in. IRT the original request about Jim Dandy brand grits they were always very popular where I grew up in NW Fla. I don't know of any issues with them. I checked and see we have part of a bag of Quaker grits left. It seems to me like Martha White even made grits but I could be mistaken about that. Of course none of them are as good as the home ground coarse yellow grits my old mentor made (He had them ground at a mill over in Atmore Ala) and served with fish and game. We ate them just like others do rice or potatoes for lunch or dinner. 

This a pack of Geechee Boy stone ground grits from Edisto Island SC just below Charleston that my wife's cousin from near Akron OH dropped off a week or so back. (I guess in the current climate of political correctness this name will also have to change pretty soon. ::)) They are pretty good for store bought, white grits. I am partial to yellow grits in case you have not picked up on this fact.

A grit eating purist will typically only put a little butter, salt and pepper on their grits and maybe some redeye gravy. I know true southerners will sometimes break up a runny fried egg yolk and eat with it. Since I am not a fried egg eater and never eat runny yolks,  I don't eat mine that way but a little hard scrambled egg mixed in is okay. Folks putting sugar in them should be immediately banished from civilized society as uncouth and uncultured. (I am still not sure whether it was sugar in the grits or Yankees wearing plaid Bermuda shorts, Panama hats, black socks and sandals that actually led to the outbreak of hostilities back around 1860.)

One explanation for the term Fla, Ga, Ala or Southern Cracker came from the fact they cracked their corn to make their grits. (In Fla the cattlemen used long whips they cracked to drive cattle from the brush so that is another source sometimes used for the term.)

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

red

My favorite is a Taylor Ham Egg and cheese sandwich with salt pepper and ketchup . . some people call Taylor Ham Pork Roll 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!