iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shake, ring shake, wind shake in timber

Started by pine, April 27, 2014, 11:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Over maturity causes many surprises in the older trees

Sixacresand

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on April 27, 2014, 09:39:15 PMEvidence points to the reason for such practice...the loggers knew that the lower portion of the stem had shake and was of poor quality, so a high stump left the defect in the woods and not at the mill.
I have photos of cypress stumps extending several feet above the water level.  Poor quality and would not float?
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Walnut Beast

After cutting into this log ( well Yellowhammer wouldn't call it that since it doesn't roll 😂). They say logs with shake smell. Well this one really does!! Not to happy about the shake but after looking and thinking things over that there is going to be some pretty good stuff out of it.  But don't wish for more

Walnut Beast

Shake is mainly to the outside and getting wider and plenty wide with 5 - 1 1/8 slices in.  13"wide in between the shake on the small end and 17" on the other end. Rained out that's why it's all wet 😂

Walnut Beast

I love shake in a walnut tree😂. Actually the way I lined things up there wasn't much waste. I ended up separating everything from the shake line that was fairly loose on each side that was amazingly pretty much sap wood and about a inch to two of the good stuff at most that didn't get saved except on the table and a few I need to pry off.  A monster load of good wood, big fireplace mantle and a piece that will be made into a river coffee table with clear epoxy. The most disappointing thing was how wide the sap was. But the way it worked out it didn't matter

cutterboy

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

Yes, you took full advantage of the shake and it worked.  That white sapwood will make beautiful sandbars/beaches. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

White walnut sapwood can add lots of contrast and interest to the wood.  Beige sapwood is sorta blah.

To keep it white, brush, blow, or wash off the sawdust.  Get air on it to surface dry it.  On the other hand Arky tried a make do alternative to steaming sapwood.  He left the sawdust on and covered a pile tightly with black plastic in the sun.  I think he had some success.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

moodnacreek

Hemlock [when we had it] and aspen growing in windy places will have shake unless young small logs. While hunting in the north woods on a hillside with 3' hemlocks you know why they are still there especially in the wind gusts. Those trees are very noisy.

Walnut Beast

Be careful what you wish for 😂.  Furious!!! Shake in the cottonwood I cut down for stickers and pallet stock.

When I was cutting the log water was actually gushing out. This explains it. 
From Professor Gene Wengert, forum technical advisor: 
The shake results from anaerobic bacteria that reduce the wood's strength. They also cause wetwood at the same time, so the MC in these areas is often over 100% MC. In addition to shake, there will be a strong, foul odor and discoloration. Drying high quality is nearly impossible. It is common to find that the shake worsens a bit in drying, but not a whole lot.    Tr

Walnut Beast

Absolutely no saving with multiple rings and various other cracks when sliced up it was just like a delaminating nightmare 

petefrom bearswamp

When I hit hemlock like that I just sawed it thru and thru, made stickers and kindling.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Walnut Beast

I think I just might do that. I was thinking from the shake and water logged wood it was forget it. But the 2x4s I cut out of the one seemed like it's air drying out fairly quickly. I think I'm going to salvage it for stickers since I got it

Walnut Beast

I thought this was interesting from a few days ago. A loggers perspective on shake. Turner logging talks about it and  certain areas that have it more than others. After years of logging off of and around certain areas with sandy soil on creeks seem the worst with black walnut. 

https://youtu.be/Kry-U-_8xtM

Thank You Sponsors!