iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Endangered, Protected. White Walnut gets slabbed!

Started by shelby78, October 03, 2020, 01:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelby78

The city had me remove a Butternut/White walnut last week so today I decided to slab it. This all started about 2 months ago when they wanted me to price it. I told them it was protected so they should contact the MNR to get permission. The tree was mostly dead but being in a high traffic area we wanted to go thru all the right channels.

Last week the city calls back saying we have permission to cut it and the tree is a hybrid Butternut. I kept thinking about milling it but photos online don't show butternut as being a looker. The next curve was the city said the homeowner wanted to keep the wood. Less work for me but no log either.

Once I had the tree partially taken apart I asked the homeowner if he was just wanting to use it for firewood and he said yes. I figured if it was nice I could just swap him real wood for it but I was still on the fence about that idea. I told him a had a sawmill and it could be worth cutting.

Once I dropped the butt log I knew it would be worth cutting. At this point the homeowner comes back out and they realize how big the tree is. He has a Stihl 190 lol and this is a 34 inch tree. He tells me I can have the log if I want  lol.

Slabbing the White Walnut today I'm glad I decided to grab the log even though it was more time. Here's a few pics and thinking the hybrid part is mostly black walnut...

Don P

Looks highly valuable.

The hybrid is usually a "Buart", Butternut x Heartnut cross.

If you know anyone into natural dyestuffs the bark is sometimes desired, although probably more south of the Mason-Dixon.

Bruno of NH

Beautiful alot darker than the butternut in have sawn
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

With that yellow inner bark, sure looks like black walnut. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

John S

2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

shelby78

Quote from: WDH on October 03, 2020, 07:41:26 PM
With that yellow inner bark, sure looks like black walnut.
If I only saw the slabs I would say black walnut also. The tree and leaves didn't have the signature black walnut look though. The "Expert" The city paid says hybrid Butternut. Maybe this was a Black walnut that identified as a Butternut lol
The other weird thing was when milling even though it has colour the sawdust was white/light. When I mill black walnut its dark. Just a weird tree...

Thank You Sponsors!