iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATV & Snowmachine Log Moving Question

Started by aniakhenry, August 19, 2006, 05:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aniakhenry

Hello all...

I have a few pictures to share and am soliciting ideas for building another log arch.  I'm a small equipment sawer at this point.  I have moved a lot of logs with the log arch and uhmw plastic sled, which both I have built.  My uhmw plastic sled is amazing what it can haul with my snowmachine and my log arch is pretty impressive with my honda fourwheeler.  I would probably look for heavier equipment but I live in rural alaska, which means no road system to and from.  At .80 per pound for air cargo, equipment is limited with my budget. 

Here is my plastic uhmw plastic sled which can haul up to 12' logs quite well but it won't haul much larger logs than.

External photo-link removed

This is a firewood load, but it shows what can be hauled with it. 

External photo-link removed

Here is a poor picture of my log arch but it can haul much larger logs than my sled. 

External photo-link removed]

I looked all over for a better pic but didn't have one.  This arch works well but I'm soliciting ideas about how to build a second arch to lift the other end of the log and suspend it completely.  I will only be hauling these logs on nice roads.  I would really like to see any pictures of log arches that are on the back end of the logs and how they are designed.  I would especially like to see how they could properly attach to the end of the log and how they can both be transported empty by your atv.  I know that I can haul much larger logs with my fourwheeler if I can suspend the other end of the log. 

Thanks for any replys.
Aniakhenry ;D

mike_van

What do you cut for firewood in Alaska? When we were there 15 years ago, all I saw was Spruce, Aspen, Spruce, White Birch & Spruce - You must need some pile to get through the Alaskan winter.  Places we went, you couldn't hear a car, airplane, nothing - It was hard to come back to the rat race down here -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

jon12345

For  a small operation what you have looks pretty cool, and you can haul in summer or winter.  Looks like spruce or fir in the arch picture, do you have a stove or an outdoor boiler?

A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Burlkraft

It looks Cold there :o :o :o :o

Ya must have ta cut a lot of wood ta get through winter there  :-\ :-\

How did ya get pictures posted with the gallery down ??? ???

And............

Welcome to the forum ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

aniakhenry

mike,  I cut a lot of spruce.  I cut a lot of birch this spring and it has dried over the summer so we will see how much more I get out of it. 

jon, I installed a outdoor wood boiler two years ago that has paid for itself over and again already.  With diesel at 5.00 a gallon we had to get the boiler.  It is a central boiler, the easy model (which isn't made anymore)  I went through 12 cords or so last year. 

Burlkraft,  yes it gets cold here, sometimes -45 for a couple weeks at a time.  It is hard on stuff when it is that cold.  I'm normally trying to figure out how to get out on my trapline when the temps drop that cold for that long.  Most of my sawmilling is done March through Oct. and that is it.  I'm anxiously awaiting a new norwood lumbermate.   8) 

Oh, I posted pictures through a web hosted photo site.  It has been pretty proven for me on any of the trapping forums I'm on.  If you go to --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com and sign up for an account you can post them easily.  It is free and you just upload your pics to a designated album and then post the link when needed on any forum. 

Thanks, 

any arch pictures out there that are a two arch system, I would love to see pics of the back end arch ;D

Tom

QuoteOh, I posted pictures through a web hosted photo site.  It has been pretty proven for me on any of the trapping forums I'm on.  If you go to --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com and sign up for an account you can post them easily.  It is free and you just upload your pics to a designated album and then post the link when needed on any forum.

Even though there are sites out there who claim to be a perfect web-hosting site, we don't allow the links.  There are many reasons and they have been hashed out a multitude of times.  We require that all pictures be on the Forestry Forum Gallery and that pictures not be used that are copyrighted to someone else.   The Forum Galleries are "down" now, but it doesn't give carte blanche to link elsewhere. 

Please save the pictures for when our galleries are back on-line. :)

This link Forestry Forum Rules and Disclaimers , found at the bottom of each page, provides the guidelines.

aniakhenry

I wasn't aware that I couldn't post pictures on your forum Tom.  I guess my question and postings are a waste of time as I have seen the message that your gallery has been down for the last week.  I'm questioning your reasoning as to why such postings are prohibitted as they are proven time and again on other forums, but as you stated they have been hashed out before.  Sorry for wasting everyones time.

Radar67

I don't think your post was a waste of time. I found it very interesting. However, with external links, there is a chance the web host will go under then the pictures which are linked are lost forever. By using the forum galleries, the admins can back up the photos. This way, there is never a broken link. Hope to hear more from you in the future. Welcome to the forum.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

sprucebunny

Welcome to the forum, Henry.

Maybe we could have kept his pics up untill our own gallery was fixed ???

Anyhow, here is a link to an arch that might work for your back arch.

http://www.futureforestry.com/forestry/products/jr/jr.html

I made one similar to it  ;)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

jon12345

I asked about the boiler because those are the only people where I live who burn softwood, we only burn hardwood indoors.

I see broken --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!-- links on other websites a lot, but this way the pictures in the forum gallery are guaranteed to be there for as long as the forum exists.

Tom

QuoteMaybe we could have kept his pics up untill our own gallery was fixed

Perhaps, but I chose not to. 

Spilt milk is better picked up now rather than waiting for spring cleaning. :)

Quebecnewf

What type of snowmachine do you use to move logs /I move all my logs in winter and i use a home build sleigh and a Yamaha VK540 snowmachine check out a few pic on my gallery

Quebnewf

mike_van

Years ago I saw a documentary about trappers in Siberia. They said 20 below "wasn't bad" but when it got to 50 and 60 below, it even  affected the animals they were trapping, nothing moved I guess. Tough way to make a living in those conditions.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

jon12345

When I was at college I think 20 below was the cutoff temp. for whether or  not we'd have lab outdoors, college students don't move much once it gets below 20 f though  :D

Log Arch Topic reply 15 & 18 might interest you if you haven't seen this thread already

thecfarm

Aniakhenry,Welcome to the forum.I was quite impressed by your uhmw sled.There is quite a load on it.Please post pictures in your gallery when it is up and going again.Here's the link to it.posting picturesI copied it off to do load pictures.You must had compressed the pictures before.They did not take long to load.The reason for putting pictures in the gallery,they will always be ther.No red "X" to deal with.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Furby

ADfields

Quote from: mike_van on August 19, 2006, 06:05:52 AM
What do you cut for firewood in Alaska? When we were there 15 years ago, all I saw was Spruce, Aspen, Spruce, White Birch & Spruce - You must need some pile to get through the Alaskan winter.  Places we went, you couldn't hear a car, airplane, nothing - It was hard to come back to the rat race down here -

It takes me around 6 cords for the 6 month winter.  You left out Alaska ceder, black cottonwood and alder, also we have spruce 3 times not 2. :D   I like birch the best myself but an air tight stove is a must for Alaskas fast burning woods, this lets you sleep all night on one stocking. :P
Andy

solodan

Quote from: ADfields on August 26, 2006, 02:30:21 AM

It takes me around 6 cords for the 6 month winter. You left out Alaska ceder, black cottonwood and alder, also we have spruce 3 times not 2. :D I like birch the best myself but an air tight stove is a must for Alaskas fast burning woods, this lets you sleep all night on one stocking. :P
Andy

And who would ever think that us California mountain boys would need about 7 cords for the 7 months of winter. ???  We've got some oak so we can sleep through the night. ;D  We also have Manzanita if you would like to make you're airtight stove not so airthight any more. That stuff will actually melt the stove if you burn too much.
I really need to figure out a way to move logs in the winter here as well, but I really don't know if there is a good way after a big dump.

Thank You Sponsors!