iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spliting Black Walnut

Started by EZ, April 14, 2003, 06:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

Customer has a 40 inch dia black walnut 8 ft long, has crotch on the top end. Cant use black powder, so I guess I will have to split it with chain saw & wedges. The wedges that I can make out of wood are oak or locust, wood locust be better. And how long do I need to make these wedges and how wide at the top.
I dont even know if this can be done, but really need to do this job, cause he'll have alot more timber for me to saw if I can saw the walnut.
EZ

ohsoloco

I wouldn't want to split a black walnut crotch down the middle  :-/  If I had one that large, I would take slabs off of the outside of the log with the chainsaw to get it down to a millable size.  Guess it depends on what he's going to do with it, but splitting id down the middle (i.e. splitting the crotch apart) would ruin all that nice grain.  

Yesterday I just re-stacked two walnut crotches I cut this past fall....I can't believe the grain patterns in it!  :)

EZ

Rick Schmalzried

In my experience, in general Black Walnut is not quarter sawn.  It doesn't have the superb transformation that other species like Oak have.  If you have a crotch/burl you ought to try and talk him into sawing for figure in the crotch.  Regardless, he is the customer with the $$$ so you need to saw it like he asks.  ;)

--Rick
_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

ohsoloco

Yeah, black walnut will be rather plain looking as q-sawn.  What is he using it for?  I'd try and dig up some samples of crotch walnut and q-sawn walnut to show him.  

The customer is always right  ::)

Larry

I sawed some nice big walnut 4/4 last fall and some of the boards came out q-sawn.  Really wasn't on purpose as I had already gotten the FAS and 1c flat sawn boards off and was just sawing through & through.  Dried and planed all of it.

A guy came out bout a month ago to buy a little walnut and saw the q-sawn boards and called them "ribbon stripe walnut".  Never really thought about it but the dark streaks make the boards look very attractive and a little unusual.  The guy went through the whole pile and picked out all the q-sawn boards.  Should have taken a picture (and also doubled the price).
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Fla._Deadheader

Hey Larry. Where ya goin in Arkansas??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

EZ

Well I guess its up to me to figure out splitting this walnut.
EZ

ohsoloco

Ya mean we didn't talk ya outta splittin' that beast?  :D

How long is the bar on your chainsaw?  

EZ

The bar on my saw is 20 inch. I took over a couple of quarter sawn walnut boards that I had and crouch sawn boards and he was very happy with the quarter sawn, so thats what it has to be.
EZ

ARKANSAWYER

EZ
  What you want to make is a "glut".  Thats a wooden wedge.  Dogwood or Ironwood (hornbeam) are best.  Hickory works well as does most anything hard to split.  A 4 to 6 inch round makes the best size with about a 6 to 8 inch taper.  I "cure" my point by heating it over a fire to harden it.  Deadstanding dogwood make some of the best. I will try to remember to take a photo of one today and post it.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

EZ

Arkansawyer,
Please remember to post it, thanks.
EZ

ARKANSAWYER

Here  are two of them.  A ole timmer came by while I was taking the photo and he said that he like persimmon as well as any but his daddy liked sycamore.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

I've seen my dad make many a glut in the forest.   He would pick a hickory, hard maple, etc. sapling about 3-4" diameter at about waist high. He'd cut it off square with his chainsaw at that height.  Then he would point the stump running a cut up each side to form the wedge.  Then he would cut off the wedge.  If he needed two wedges,  he would point the stump again and cut off another.  Then he'd true up the wedge faces with his ax.  

It's hard to explain but the whole process only took only a couple of minutes.

It's far safer to cut the wedge slopes while it is still attached to the stump than to cut the bolt and then try to sharpen it by holding it with your foot or something.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

EZ,

Maybe you could find an exploding wedge somewhere ;)

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Haytrader

Noble,

Are those things legal?
Maybe someone should ask Jeff.
 ;)
Haytrader

Bro. Noble

Haytrader,

I would guess that the legality is partially determined by the location of insertion of said wedge prior to ignition :o

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Fla._Deadheader

Haytrader, If it ain't legal, Don'T they need evidence to prosecute ya??  Like the man said to the fish & game man, in his boat, as he handed him a lit stick of dynamite. You gonna talk or fish ???? ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Haytrader

Noble,

Yep. What you said.
 8)  8)

Deadheader,

:D :D
Yep, you got it.
At the risk of being "off topic" of this thread.........I shall offer a resemblance to your example.
 ;)
I heard tell that redneck guys somtimes offer thier girls a couple of options, one being to walk.
 ;D  :D
Haytrader

EZ

Hi guys,
Well I split that walnut log in half, took a couple of hours but I got it. Those wooden wedges wood got really good, the dogwood wedges were the best, Thanks Arkansawyer, and everyone else.
EZ

Thank You Sponsors!