iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawed some Holly today

Started by Raym, April 09, 2015, 05:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raym

Left early and felled 2 Holly trees (about 18") that a friend wanted down. Sealed the ends before the logs went on the trailer. Sawed about 400 bd ft, stickered 16" and is in the kiln. It was white when it went in and Im hoping it will be white when it comes out. Here is my "vintage" loader and I'm smiling because I didn't saw any metal today!!

'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

drobertson

always wondered what it would look like, seen it growing up, for many years, can you get a pic of the boards?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Raym

The grain is not spectacular but has tight rings. Here is a picture of one of the slabs and after only a few hours the sawdust had already caused it to stain. We were very carefull to get all of the sawdust off of each board as it came off the saw. Time consuming but worth the effort.

'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

redbeard

Nice tractor lots of lifting muscle! The Holy out here you want to eliminate the center or get a lot of cracking in twists. Your boards look great.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

5quarter

I'm so glad to hear it is already in the kiln! To keep holly white you almost need to fell the tree onto the sawmill and shuttle the boards directly into the kiln with the fans already running. ;) :D post some pics of the dried boards when the load is done.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

terrifictimbersllc

That is very exciting, hope it works out well for you.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

If it dried white, that is some of the most valuable native wood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!