iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Biggest hickory yet !

Started by Seaman, January 07, 2015, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaman

I am slabbing this hickory, 36 in x 15.6 feet. Talk about hard !
Some enterprising young nailed something to this tree, every couple years for 50 years. :'(

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

clww

Beautiful pictures. :)
I'll bet it's hard like a rock.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

TimGA

Really NICE.
         Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

WDH

I cringed when I read the title of this thread.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

that is a big ole hickory!  been years since seeing one that large,  an old pecan in Cerro Gorda , NC
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sealark37

From what I have seen, sawing a hickory that size is nearly impossible on a portable bandsaw.  A hickory half that size will make a circle mill cry the blues.  The boards from a hickory are almost too heavy to use as boards.  I suppose that is why most go to the stove.    Regards, Clark 

logboy

Based on the smaller one I milled into lumber earlier this winter, I'd say you're getting only one pass per chain before you have to swap or sharpen. Still, I'd love to have one of those for a personal table.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

GAmillworker

That is as beautiful as it is hard.
Thank the Lord for second chances

Seaman

Logboy, you are almost correct. I got two cuts, but just barely! It actually cut real nice, I cut most 2 1/2in, and a few 3 in. After it drys we will figure out shipping to your place.
I am wondering how bad it will check while drying? End coated and stickered of course.
FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'll bet theres a little weight involved. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mikeb1079

man oh man that's beautiful.  here's to hoping you have better luck with those slabs than i did with the hickory i've milled!!   :'(
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

logboy

Quote from: Seaman on January 07, 2015, 06:39:14 PM
Logboy, you are almost correct. I got two cuts, but just barely! It actually cut real nice, I cut most 2 1/2in, and a few 3 in. After it drys we will figure out shipping to your place.
I am wondering how bad it will check while drying? End coated and stickered of course.
FRank

Unless you have access to a vacuum kiln, slow is the way to go on slabs, at least until you get it down to the teens in MC. Keep it out of the sun, and make sure it gets a bit of airflow (but dont go crazy). I'd put a few hundred pounds of weight on top as well. A couple 50 pound blocks every two feet will help a lot to keep it flat (more wont hurt).

Remember, cracks and splits in a slab can be highlighted and turned into features when you make it into a table. If it warps and twists badly you just have an expensive piece of firewood. (Ask me how I know.) I hope you set it up and slabbed it exactly parallel to the pith or you could have some warping issues down the line.

I'm wondering if it will dry like white oak slabs in a way. In the first thirty days it gets nasty looking surface checks all over and you swear you made firewood. Eventually the core starts to catch up and all the little surface checks disappear. If you see a bunch of surface checks right away, it might not be reason to panic.

Sounds like that cut like the hard maple I'm in the middle of. I'm barely getting two slabs per chain. I even debarked it so I know its not dirt. I really need to finish it and get through some customer's logs but the windchill hasnt been above zero all week. Our high temp today was -5.  The windchill was -35.

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

grweldon

Quote from: WDH on January 07, 2015, 08:20:46 PM
smiley_devil

So, I know Pecan is a hickory, and Pecan is the  smiley_devil , so does that make all hickory the  smiley_devil ?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

WDH

YES!!!!

:D :D :D

If A =B, and A=C, then B=C, and hickory is the  smiley_devil.

He who dries slabs must wait long time (old saying). 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

Quote from: WDH on January 08, 2015, 08:02:24 PM

He who dries slabs must wait long time (old saying).

Ancient Chinese secret?

Oh wait... that was for ring around the collar!  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

ddcuning

We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Thank You Sponsors!