iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Resaw attachment question

Started by thechknhwk, October 12, 2012, 09:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechknhwk

If I'm resawing 6" wide 4/4 boards how mand degrees of slant would I need to adjust the bed of the resaw attachment to?   I'm just curious if anyone has already undergone this trial and error.  The manual doesn't give any recommendations for common widths.  It simply says to run the blade into the board and see if it's where you want it.  I'd like to have 3/4 to 5/8 on the fat side and 1/4 to 3/8 on the other.  The belt is adjustable in 2 degree increments up to 8 degrees.  Thanks if anyone has any input.  If not I'll let ya know how it goes.

thechknhwk

I just realized I'm not accounting for my kerf, so I guess 5/8 on the fat side and 1/4 on the other....

beenthere

working on it :)

Looks to me like 4.76 deg will be the angle. Pick 5 deg if 4.76 deg isn't a choice and then adjust the height of the cut to even out the remaining two pieces.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thechknhwk

Copy.  Thx. Its either 2 4 6 or 8 deg tho

beenthere

Appears the angles won't work well for 6" wide boards.
May need to go with an angle and 1" thickness then decide what width board to feed through it, or go with the angle and 6" width to decide what thickness to feed it.

The math is the rise over the run equal to the tangent of the angle.

My calculations if the width is fixed at 6", then the thickness for the four angles would be
0.21" for 2 deg
0.42" for 4 deg
0.63" for 6 deg
0.84" for 8 deg

For a thickness of 1", then the widths for the four angles would be
14.28" for 2 deg
7.14" for 4 deg
4.75" for 6 deg
3.55" for 8 deg

I'll admit those could be wrong and I didn't try to draw any of them out to check. ;)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thechknhwk

Thanks.  According to your calculations a 6 deg angle should give me ~5/8 on one side.  What exactly is the formula you're using.  You say "tangent", but you're referring to the tangent angle right?  It's been a few years since geometry, calc, etc.. 

beenthere

Been some years for me too.  ;D

Here is one site with a calculator.
http://primeshop.com/access/woodwork/anglecalc/

I put together a crude drawing. Working from your desire for one edge of 3/4" and the other 1/4" just for some sample numbers, that would give a 1/2" (0.50) rise in a right triangle shown as the red lines.

south central Wisconsin

thechknhwk

Didn't get at this today.  It poured all day, and I had to work nights tonight.

thechknhwk

Here is some finished results.  I ended up setting the resaw to 4 deg and it turned out ok, but I need to get some more weight on the hold down wheel as the belt is slipping under the board.  I'm also not real crazy about how you gotta pull the board thru the last 6" or so and it wants to rise up in the cut, so the end of almost every piece is messed up.  Good thing I cut them long.

Thank You Sponsors!