iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood ID...Locust, Ash or Trash?

Started by ReggieT, February 11, 2014, 05:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

Always hate to wade in here amongst people who know much more than I.  My only point to add is that, when cut fresh, black locust wood is decidedly green in color.  If these rounds were just cut from a felled live tree, I am not sure it's black locust.  The wood looks too brown to me. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

sandhills

Looks nothing like what I call black locust either, definitely looks like what we call chinese elm but as Dodgy and 5quarter have pointed out to me different times is actually siberian elm, basically a weed around here.

mesquite buckeye

My black locusts look like teak when I cut them. More yellowy than greenish. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Okrafarmer

Mine (black locust) look yellow too. Part of the yellow/green disagreement may stem from a medical/optical situation where different people see various shades of colors differently. What I call yellow (because it looks like a yellow Crayola crayon to me) others sometimes say is DEFINITELY  green. Also I see some things as blue that others tell me are definitely gray. So arguing about the diff between yellow and green can sometimes be counterproductive. Then there is the subtle color change that can sometimes occur from lighting, camera technology, computer programming, and monitor display.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

Dodgy, your Chinese Elm bark picture looks a lot like our Cedar Elm bark. (Ulmus crassifolia Nutt)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Black locust heartwood is described in wood ID keys as greenish yellow to dark yellowish golden brown. So take your pick. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

In the keys, black locust comes just before osage orange, except osage coloring comes out in water when soaked. ;D This is looking in lumber form, no bark and limbs.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

I am red / gree color blind so who knows what color I'm seeing.  :D :D  I'm just saying it doesn't look like locust to me.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

sandhills

Sorry, I was going by the bark, not the color.

Rockn H

iwiegian

I used to call Siberian elm Chinese elm but I was mistaken. It looks like Siberian to me. I have milled a few boards with a chain saw and its pretty wood, very reddish brown when fresh but whitens when dry also make sure you sticker and weigh it down. 

5quarter

undoubtedly Siberian Elm. Fresh cut rounds look just like that. Makes handsome lumber and dries easier than Red Elm. Pallet mills around here love it. I have two huge ones in the yard, but am getting sick of killing off all their seedlings every year.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!