iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My anniversary gift. A swing mill updated (8-7-05 the pic's you wanted)

Started by Part_Timer, June 06, 2005, 10:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

As most of you know I've been looking at selling my LT and buying a Peterson.  Well we talked about it on the way home from Ohio and didn't really make any decisions. I have a couple of customers that would go else were because of Kerf Smothness of cut .  They bring in real small logs. I hate to lose any because I have few enough but need the bigger log handeling for myself and a future project.
    I have a bit of money stashed back to upgrade to a better mill and was going to use the money from the sale of the Lt to get a little farther along that road.
              8) Today is my and Katie-did's 13th wedding anniversary 8)

Well I come home and the wife tells me that she is going to make up the couple of $K differance so I can keep my LT and still buy the swing mill for my anni. present.  She knows how much I want to turn the part time sawing into something more and knows I need the both to do it. 
     Kate you say I never say nice things about you when others are around so here it is in front of EVERYONE
        I LOVE YOU and appreciate all the support you give to me and my hair brain ideas.  Without you none of it would ever happen
                                HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DEAR
Tom

oh yah 8" 25HP ATS W/Weatherboard att.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Quartlow

Wow that girls a KEEPER!!!

And happy anniversary too you lucky dog

8) 8) 8) 8)
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

OLD_ JD

his she have any single sister :D :D
canadien forest ranger

Ernie

You're on to a winner, Nail her foot to the floor so she dosent duzn't  can't get away.

I trust you're worth it :D :D :D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

TN_man

I guess there is a reason that you made it to #13. Best wishes to you guys.
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Captain

I heard that rumor....congrats on both the anniversary and the sawmill!!

Captain

Ga_Boy

Part Timer,

Congratulations to you and Katie on you anniverisery.

Debbie and I just celebrated our 11th.

I hope you and Katie are as happy as Debbie and I are, I believe you are.  You just gotta love it when you find your soul mate.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

moosehunter

Thats cool Part_timer! I just got my mill last year, so I won't ask fer another soon ;D.
Hope you have many more HAPPY ANNIVERSARYS!!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

iain

When you get finished with that woman send her over here 8) 8) 8)

Furby

Gonna have both  eh? ;D

Happy anniversary! 8)

Hammy

Best wishes to you & your wife on your anniversary & welcome abaord Part Timer!!

C. Hammond
Petersons

maple flats

Thirteen sure seems to be your lucky #, mine too. My wife and I got married on Friday the 13th of Oct. 1967. This Oct will make 38 years. Believe me when I tell you IT ONLY GETS BETTER! Congrats on the Peterson, you'll enjoy it as I do mine.   8) 8)
Maple Flats
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

hiya

I cann't even remember our 13th. On May 30 we had #41. It sure doesn't seem that long. But I hope for many more. It does get better.
Richard
RichardinMd.

OLD_ JD

men :o i start feling bad coz i never made more then 5 years :-\ ....so far ;D
canadien forest ranger

Part_Timer

Well it finally arived today.  THe new peterson is here. 8) 8) 8)

The shipping company screwed up the shipping directions and sent it to the house so my wife sent them down to work so we had a shipping dock to unload it from.

We put it up in the electrical shop and uncrated it.  I figured if it was uncrated we ought to assemble it also.  We had it all put together when the CEO showed up.  I thought that he might not have a sence of humor about 4 guys standing around looking at it but I forgot he has an LT40.  He stayed around for about a half hour and checked everything out.  He asked if I could bring in a log and rip it up in the parking lot before it goes home.   :D    I told him no but he is coming out to the house at lunch to check out the wood pile that showed up while we were on vacation.  THere are now 125 logs in the back yard.(pictures in the morning)

Well it will be two weeks before I get to use it I have to finish up my honey do list before I start.  then the fun starts.  We are starting with some 30 and 40" about 9 foot long and I have a job for a guy that says that he has a log around 50" dia so the fun is about to begin  He wants about half of it in lap siding. Glad I bought that attachment

the wife says she'll do the pictures when the dust starts to fly so here we go.  I feel like I'm in with both feet up to my ears so we'll see what happens.  What a feeling :) :) :) 8) :) :) :)
Peterson 8" ATS.

Rockn H

Part-timer, I was starting to think you had a good thing going with two mills and an understanding wife, but now you tell us you have a boss with an LT that understands as well.  YOU THE MAN 8) 8) 8)

Bring on the Pics. :D

Fla._Deadheader

WOW  A great wife and 2 mills. You hit the jackpot.  8) 8)

Good luck with the business.  Can't wait to see them pics.

An Anniversary pic woodn't hurt none, either.  ;) ;) :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Teri

Jodi

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on August 02, 2005, 06:57:37 AM
An Anniversary pic woodn't hurt none, either.  ;) ;) :) :)

Yeah I agree! Congratulations on your 13th anniversary.  smiley_thumbsup smiley_balloon_01

wiam

TWO WEEKS    I know it was an anniversary present but that has to hurt.  Can't you sneek in just one log just to see if it will make sawdust? ;) ;)

best to you and have a happy

Will

Part_Timer

here are the pictures of this weekends first adventure with the new mill.  Sorry they are not in any special order.
     Things went pretty well.  Once you get into the rythem of things it is not so bad.  I have to do some work on it.  The locking handle does not stay tight.  I'll pull the handle out and tighten it this week.  It kept want to drift sideways in the cut.
    THe only real problem we had was trying to get enough to drink.  It was about 95.  My son was tailing for me and he does not like the mill at all.   :'(  He says it is to hard to keep up if I'm making the vertical cut at 4-5". :D  on the other mill he has time to take a break while I turn and fight with the logs. :)
     I thought that the logs were red oak but now I'm not so sure.  It turned very pale when cut and did not turn the red color when we poured water back on it.  Maybe white aok?   I'll get the pictures of the bark and maybe y'all can help with it.  What ever it is it will make nice trim for the house.
     The two logs in the picture made what is loaded on the trailer.  We don't have a board foot total yet.  I'll stack it  Tuesday night and figure out how well I cut verses what the log scale says it should be.  All I do know is that it is more than should be on the trailer.  Guess next on the list is a new trailer.
    There are a few things that I can already tell you I love about this mill
A  got to spend two days with my son.  Other mill I don't need a tailer and he knows it
1  no slabs to stack and edge.
2  no logs to turn
3  no logs to quarter with the chain saw
4  less fire wood to deal with.  see #1 for reason.  I'm LAZY sometimes ;D
5  sharpen my own blades.
6  quartersaws lumber easy

THere is only one draw back to it.  I need to get in shape.  With no logs to roll and no slabs to stack and edge I'm not getting my breaks in.  Just more pull back SWING  push forward slide SWING  pull  runs fairly fast.  maybe if I can get the hang of it I will be able to make some good bf per hour.

Well Zac and I are both whipped tonight so have a good one everybody.
Thanks Katie-did,Captain, Georgia_boy, and Peterson's .  nicest present I ever got

Peterson 8" ATS.

Furby

Kinda hard to tell, but it sure looks like Red Oak.
Do you have a close up?

So I take it that ya like the mill ??? :D

Ianab

Cool  :)

Sawing decent size logs and not having to move them is what swingbalde mills are all about eh.

You are right about getting into shape too. The sawing isn't really hard work, it's just constant, and it's usually the offloader thats actually works harder.  If you want to make em complain switch from 4x1s to a 6x4.  :D

Anyway, good stack of boards for a 1st day sawing  8)

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ga_Boy

Part Timer,

It seems like you like your mill as much as I like mine.

I am gald you are enjoying your mill, but the beat part of all is you are getting some time with your son.   I hope you get more days like that.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Captain

Whatever kind of oak it is, it is seriously nice!!

Hang in there Tom, the motions become second nature soon.  As for getting in shape, I notice in the winter time when the mill is idle for 2-3 weeks at a time, the jeans get tight....

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!