iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Soo Locks Opening

Started by upnut, March 21, 2024, 06:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnut

The Soo Locks will be opening Friday March 22.... ffcool

Soo Locks Open Early for 2024 Shipping Season > Great Lakes and Ohio River Division > News Releases (army.mil)

The 1000 footer Joseph L. Block is currently moored at the Poe Lock, and the 1000 footer Indiana Harbor is working that way. Ice does not appear to be a factor this year. Looking forward to another season of freighter watching!

Scott B.

I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Resonator

They mentioned on the news here that the ore boat fleet tied up for the winter at Fincantieri (Sturgeon Bay, WI) are beginning to leave. The mild winter allowed the repairs on the Soo locks to get finished up early.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

thecfarm

Not much ice on the rivers around here this year either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

When I was by the locks the first of the month, it looked as busy as summer. Parking spots were full and many shops open. Difference was these were all workers and not tourists. The new lock looks like its putting a lot of people to work.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

upnut

We made a touristy trip to the Soo last summer, stayed at the Ojibway Hotel which is literally across the street from the locks. The hotel has leased most of their facility to the Army Corps of Engineers for the next three years, conference rooms, restaurant, and many rooms. Saw alot of backpacks, hardhats, and hivis jackets at the breakfast bar. The Soo Locks Boat tours leased out one of their tour boats as a dedicated water taxi for workers since the only way to the job site was on foot across the lock or by boat. Housing, needless to say, is at a premium. The project cost starts with a "B" so alot of money is changing hands...

Scott B. 

upnut

If anyone is interested in how these freighters are resupplied as they travel the Great Lakes here is about a 46 minute video tour of Soo Marine Supply. Their supply boat Ojibway, built in 1949, is fun to watch as the crane hoists pallets of supplies onto the freighter as they pass thru...
Interview with Marc Burd - GM of Soo Marine Supply in Sault Ste Marie, Michigan 03.24.23 (youtube.com)

Enjoy!
Scott B.

Thank You Sponsors!