iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newest addition to my collection

Started by Radar67, September 30, 2005, 08:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

I had an oak down and decided to do some logging since I got off early. Plan to flat saw them into 8/4 boards. The short log is 10 foot, the long is 15 foot. The rings indicated they were 28 to 30 years old.

Not bad for a chain saw, truck, pick axe, and a couple of chains.

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Tom

???    What did you use the pickax for?  :)

Radar67

Tom,
     I used it in place of a cant hook to help lift the logs off the ground.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Tom

DanG

Tom, I'm surprised at you!  Ain't you never seen no two-headed hookaroon before?? ??? :D :D

Radar, makin' do with what ya got is where it's at! :)  I started out the same way.  Ya just keep on keepin' on, and collectin' more and more stuff, and pretty soon ya find that ya got the stuff ya need.  Just remember that ya got some friends... leverage, traction, gravity, and The ForestryForum.  With all them friends, you can "git'er done!" ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Yep!   Just don't take as long as DanG did.  He got old. :D

DanG

I'ma thinkin' I got old before I ever started. :-\  At least I think that's the way it worked out.  Let me cogitate about it for a bit, and I'll get back to ya.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

OK.   In the meantime, I'll go do my jumping rope and speed bag and jumping jacks and run a mile or two.  I won't be gone long.  :D

Radar67

Dan,
   Thanks for the encouragement. I'm looking for an old fashioned block and tackle to help take some of the work out of it. Shoot, this ain't work, this is pure fun!  :D

Tom,
   He ain't old, just getting thicker with age like an old oak.  ;D

Dan,
   Don't go and blow a gasket, or should I say break a blade.

SAW MILLER

I never saw an oak like that.What kind is it.It looks kinda like beech?
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

DanG

Radar67

SAW MILLER.
   It's a young pin oak (definitely not a beech, it has acorns on the branches). Similar to a white oak, but the bark is smoother. These are the logs from the first fork. The trunk is still attached to the rootball. I haven't worked up the courage to tackle the trunk yet.

Frank_Pender

Why don't you have me order you an Logrite Peavey to roll those logs.  I can have one sent directly from the factory, plus shipping. ;D
Frank Pender

Radar67

Saw Miller,
     I stand corrected, Dan is correct. I went out and took a closer look at the leaves and acorns. It is definitely a water oak. They grow well with sweet gum and I have them all over the place by the pond.

Frank,
     What kind of price are we looking at? Are there any websites that I can check them out on?

I found the logrite website. What is the difference between a cant hook and a peavy?

DanG

Look to the left of the page, near the top.  Logrite is one of our sponsors, and make the finest logging tools that have ever been made. I'm a dealer, too, can ya tell? ??? ;D :D

All salesmanship aside, these things are great.  They grab every time, and you ain't got enough lead in yer butt to break one of'em.

SAW MILLER

I don't know if  we have water oak in Ohio,I'll have to look for one.A cant hook has a cleat on the end and a peavey has a spike.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Dan_Shade

another vote for the logrite stuff, I have a 60" cant hook, a 60" peavy, and a 48" cant hook, I also have a 30" hookaroon.

to me, cant hooks are great if you are working on a sawframe, or trying to maneuver logs up ramps or roll them over each other to stack them.  a peavey is good to work with logs on the ground, the spike lets you slide them around and such.

cant hooks are a must have, one is great, having two is ten times as great!  there are all kinds of tricks to moving logs around with cant hooks, rolling, turning, lifting, dragging, they're quite versatile.  I even lean on mine sometimes.

rolling is self explanatory with a cant hook

turning can be accomplished by hooking the log near the center of gravity (middle of all the weight) and rolling the log pushing the handle all the way to the ground.  this will "sorta balance the log on the cant hook, and you can kick the log around, or spin it where you want it.

cant turning is a good way to get a hernia with a cant hook :D

lifting too, gotta watch the toes!

dragging, works great with railroad ties, hook the end, drag it along, works with small logs too

I'm sure there are many more uses, I just havne't found them yet.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Part_Timer

Hi Radar welcome.

I have several logrite toolas as well.  I have a 60" canthook 24"canthook 30"hookaroon and I went and bought a 60" log carrier.  I like the last one the most.  We use it to drag logs off/on the truck or trailer, up on the mill or to help stack the logs in piles.  We're like you, a few tools and a truck and trailer.  I went and bought a strap come along instead of a block and tackle.  I've used it to load 28"x 10' logs on the trailer by myself.

Have fun

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Radar67

Saw Miller,
    You can go here to read about the water oak - http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/4h/Water_oak/wateroak.htm  The last paragraph gives you the general range of this tree. (Not a long read)

Dan,
    Can the peavy be used for sawframe work? It sounds like the cant hook is what I should start out with. I plan to most of my logging with a trailer and my truck, using a block and tackle or a come-along to drag the logs on the trailer. I could use the third leg as well.  :D

How do you like your Oscar? Any tips for a new owner for modifications. Mine has 100 pounds of counter weight on the head to make it track better. (seems to work, runs real smooth down the rail) Any advice for adjustments to true up the cutting plane? I have mine within an eight inch, I think the track needs some fine tuning to get it perfectly level (that's why I building a trailer for it).

Tom,
     I thought about a hand winch for loading a trailer. I want a block and tackle not only for logging, but for building my house that is to come in the next couple of years (the mill shed has to come first  ;D) I wondered if the log carrier worked. I may have to consider a set of tongs instead. I will be doing most of the work by myself (the wife isn't much help in the muscle department).

Dan_Shade

Sometimes the spike on a peavy gets in the way when turning.  also, since it doesn't have a dog on the handle, it can slip sideways when rolling logs up an incline, which means the logs coming back down the ramp....

did you add your own counterweight?  how old is your saw?

I built a whole new frame to run my saw on, the track that came with it was just too much nuisance for me to deal with it.  I used 2x6 tubing to make a "ladder" setup.  I used 11 gauge tubing, because I couldn't afford 1/4" wall, but it seems sturdy enough.  I have pictures in my picture gallery.

the Oscar 28 has three main problems, it's built with too small tubing, it's band wheels are too small, and it doesn't have enough horsepower, and I was told there wasn't room for a larger engine, but I haven't chased that down...

my band is pretty parallel with the tracks, there are adjustments for that, I kinda look at a sawmill as a thing to break logs down, not as a planer (as I've seen guys say before)....

tongs are great too, a little bit of a hassle working alone, but doable, I like them a lot better than using chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Radar67

Dan,
     The counter weight was added to the saw when I got it. It is a used saw, but is only a year old.

The trailer I'm building is going to be a ladder setup out of 4 inch channel (3/16 thick) turned on edge. I'm going to mount the track to it channel frame permanently and add a homemade extension. I'm going for a 16 foot bed.

I would think you could install a larger engine, you may have to give up a little of the cutting height, or refab that part of the head frame.

I agree with you about the band being used to break logs down. I have a real nice 10 inch tablesaw for cleaning up the edges, and if I want the surfaces smooth, I can invest in a 12 inch planer. I have a woodworking background, finish and frame carpentry with some cabinet building.

What brand and size blades are you running?

Dan_Shade

i'm running timberwolf now, but i'm not real impressed, my next batch is going to be from menominee, i've gathered that the monkey blades they sell are excellent.

can you take a picture of the counterweight that's on your saw?

Radar67

I can get you a picture of the counter weights this evening when I get off work. It's a pretty simple setup, rather than explain it I'll let the picture do the talking.

To the best of my knowledge, the blades that came with my saw are the WM brand.

Radar67

Dan,
     Below are the pictures of the counter weights on my saw. Each one weighs 50 pounds.

The center bar looks bent, but is an optical illusion.

Hope this helps. The weights are suppose to take the side to side motion out of the saw. It definitely makes it ride the rail smoother. I had the weights off to unload the saw and it didn't feel very good riding the track without it.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Radar67 on October 01, 2005, 10:41:24 AM
To the best of my knowledge, the blades that came with my saw are the WM brand.

I think you're right.  I've heard the WM guys talking about Hud-Son putting a sticker on their mills stating to use Wood-Mizer blades.  I think they're the only non-Wood-Mizer distributor of WM blades.

A lot of owners of band mills other than WM use WM blades and their re-sharp service.

If you live near the Hattiesburg, Mississippi area,  and need blades, the Wood-Mizer guys are going to be setting up a temporary service center there.  It'd be a way to save some shipping on blades as they're bound to have a stock of them or could ship them there for pickup. 

Check their web site for contact details.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!