iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hickory Flooring Pricing

Started by ellmoe, January 29, 2006, 10:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellmoe

I'm making some hickory flooring for a customer. I've looked for some comparable sales (solid wood, 3/4",T&G, RW, long lengths, mill run, not finished) , but have not had any luck. Everything is finished or laminated (that I can find prices on). Can anyone throw some numbers my way?
Thanks.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Den Socling

I haven't the foggiest but everytime I use Hickory I wonder why it doesn't cost two or three times other species. I love the way it looks but it sure is ornery to machine.

ellmoe

Den,

What I am finding now is that it is bringing more than cherry. In not exactly comparable sales to what I'm looking for, cherry is about $4.50/sq.ft., hickory, $5.50. Both seemed a little high.

Mark

Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

DanG

Ellmoe, there are several member who have websites giving their flooring prices.  I don't remember specifically seeing hickory listed on them, but you might get some ideas.  I'm thinking of using lots of pecan, which is about the same thing, in my house.  What are you using to machine your flooring?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ellmoe

Dang,

Thanks for the info. I have a Weining molder, it does a nice job. Bring your hickory down and we can run it through if you don't have a molder.

Mark

DanG

Thanks Mark.  I might have to do just that if I don't come up with a moulder by the time I get to that point.  Been wanting to get down there and look in on you, anyway. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ellmoe

Dang,

Your more than welcome to come down anytime. The mill owns me T-F and 1/2 of Sat., otherwise I'm free! ;D
Mark

Jason_WI

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

DanG

Jason, do you know those folks at KM hardwoods?  I went through their webpage and think they would be right at home here on the ForestryForum.  If you could get by there, it would be great if you could invite them aboard personally.  If not, I could email them an invite. :)

ellmoe

Jason,

Thanks a bunch! That was very helpful.

Mark

Jason_WI

DanG,

I have only been to there store twice with a friend. I haven't been down there for a few years now. They have a nice setup with 2 large planers, SLR, and abrasive planing available. They have a seperate room with fireplace mantles that are hand carved available for purchace.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Thank You Sponsors!