iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"A Reverence for Wood" by Eric Sloane........a good read

Started by JimBuis, June 17, 2007, 08:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBuis

A dear friend of mine gave me a book a couple of days ago, "A Reverence for Wood" by Eric Sloane. I had not read any of Sloane's books previously, but this small book is packed with a lot of interesting information.

For example, he devotes a number of pages to the historical making of charcoal in North America. He describes professionals who lived in the out of doors to tend their charcoal mounds.

It's only 111 pages, but great reading.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Dodgy Loner

Sounds like a good read - and one that I'll relate to.  I'll have to find a copy :).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dave Shepard

One of my favourite Sloane books, o fwhich I have almost all. The Sloane/Stanley museum is less than an hour from me, in Kent CT, and is great little museum.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don P

They were a big part of my youth. Dad gave me one of his old ones last year and another last week "Eric Sloane's America". It's got a seat of honor in the reading room now.

Tom

Jim, I have that same book here at the house, put in a safe place.  My favorite story in it is the traveling Apple Tree.

beenthere

My copy is within reach of the computer, and is along with a copy of "a Museum of Early American Tools" by Eric Sloan. He has great illustrations in his books - all hand-drawn.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

leweee

"Vanishing Landscapes" by Eric Sloane also a great read by one of americas' best illustrators. :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Ironwood

I have nearly the whole collection, some are in current reprinting and are available if you look around' Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dave Shepard

I think the museum store has almost all of them. Anyone ever heard of Everard Hinrichs?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dave Shepard

;D ;D

Yeah, just couldn't be a big time illustrator/author with a name like that. ;)

Dave

mike_van

Dave, [or anyone else too] the museum's about a mile from my place - If you're ever coming, let me know - Would be happy to meet any of  you.  Right next to the museum, Ct. Antique Machinery [CAMA] has a big 2 day show in late Sept.  CAMA site   
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

barbender

I have "A Museum Of Early American Tools", and read "An Age Of Barns", both are fascinating books. I haven't seen "A Reverance For Wood" yet, I want to get that one but haven't came across a copy yet. Probably have to order it online.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!