iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 3120 vs Stihl 880 and air filtration issues

Started by TravisMVL, January 01, 2011, 02:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TravisMVL

I was just writing about my 880's air filtration system being horrible and it got me thinking about the 3120. I checked out the husqvana website, and was supprised that this saw does not have the air injection centrifugal air cleaning system like all smaller husqvana saws.
Does anybody out there with a 3120 have problems with the air filtration?

slabmaster

yes, it is a problem and the air filter should be keep clean more often.

SwampDonkey

I run a brush saw FS550 by Stihl, and it has a filter you clean once a day. No big deal, but you get a lot better performance if kept clean. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cheyenne

I leave my 3120 in the shed so I don't have to keep it clean  smiley_whacko but the filter should be cleaned often smiley_old_guy........Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

downunder Trav

pull the airbox off the 880 and just use the nut of the airbox to hold the filter in place it will still seal but you can suck more fresh air instead of the highly concentrated dust that the air box encourages. I am told this works well and I can say that on the 660 it does make a big difference.

the 3120 is no better in the filtration department than the 880, and Everyone I know who has a 3120 that has used an 880 hates the 3120!!!
I am a weekend warrior with a chainsaw, But the collection is starting to grow, Dedicated slabber here I come!!!!!

SwampDonkey

Sounds like they don't want to take the time to do basic maintenance. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JHBC

I use my 3120 occasionally, and I clean the filter almost every time, not that big of a deal.  I also put a new one in once a year.

Your 880 is a more of a saw than a 3120, so you'd be trading down.

There's nothing wrong with my husky, but if I already had an 880 for the odd 40"+ cut, I wouldn't get rid of it.
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

downunder Trav

I clean my air filters pretty much with every tank of fuel, it reduces the chance of sucking any of the fine crud through the filter and keeps the saw cutting better, and lets face it with a stihl it takes a matter of seconds to do it when you refuel. In a lot of the aussie hardwoods it really is a must do thing anyway.

Try the airbox thing and see if you notice any difference.
I am a weekend warrior with a chainsaw, But the collection is starting to grow, Dedicated slabber here I come!!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!